Buying A Dirt Bike Over Ebay?

I have a few questions concerning on buying a bike over ebay. Now I live in Washington and I found a good deal on a bike in California, but they say pick-up only. I don't want to have to drive all the way there to pick it up. Can I have a company ship it to my house? I heard if they offer shipping, there is a chance it can be a scam? Also how can you tell if your getting a good deal on shipping your bike over to your house and to make sure that the company shipping it, won't run off with it?

I have a few questions concerning on buying a bike over ebay. Now I live in Washington and I found a good deal on a bike in California, but they say pick-up only. I don't want to have to drive all the way there to pick it up. Can I have a company ship it to my house? I heard if they offer shipping, there is a chance it can be a scam? Also how can you tell if your getting a good deal on shipping your bike over to your house and to make sure that the company shipping it, won't run off with it?

From my experience when a seller says "Pick-Up Only" it means it's really not feasible to ship the item, either due to the weight/cost, or the work/hassle involved to pack/crate/etc the item. It's also a good indication he's not interested in the effort that would go into preparing the bike for shipping, so even if you could convince him to ship it, there's bound to be problems.

I have bought and sold bikes over eBay, like Mark said if they say "pick up only" then they probably don't want to mess with the shipping. You can send the seller a message through eBay and ask. It has been a few years since I shipped a bike from New Mexico to Kentucky, it ws a XR200 and it cost about $400, I used Forward Air, they have enclosed boxes that you roll the bike into and cant tie it down in all four corners...pretty easy but they may not have a location close to the seller or you? It may be cheaper to just drive down there and pick it up??

I ran accross a bike scam on Ebay. The seller was in England and had a big story how he brought the bike over from the states and couldn't get it plated. Taxes and tariffs and all of that. The bike was priced very well and included shipping from London. I had a friend that lived about 30 minutes away and tried to go see the bike for me. He never did. The bike did not exist. My advice is go see the bike and pick it up. It's the only way I'll ever

make that type of transaction. Or, you could turn on your patience and find a bike locally. You WILL find the deal you want if you can hold out.

I've purchased 10 bikes on CraigList and Ebay over the last few years and can say this:

1 - eBay bikes are never as good as described.

2 - Craiglist bikes are usually as good as described.

There's a big difference between auctions and classified ads and sellers know that.

Yea, I've bought three bikes off ebay, two I couldn't go see. They are never as good as they look. I thought I was getting great prices on the two, they were worth about what I paid. It seems to me with a few hundred people checking out the auctions, they can usually sense little issues.

I bought a bike off ebay and it was the biggest POS that I ever saw. The listing said it ran great and was in excellent shape. It would take a whole page to list all the stuff I had to buy just to ride it. It cost me $600.00 on top of what I paid just to make it a decent bike for my kid. When I wrote to Ebay to complain , they informed me that the seller was no longer an ebay member and cancelled his paypal account,too bad ,so sad. Never again !!!!! :busted::thumbsup:

Yea I've had a good experience with craigslist, I've bought plenty of stuff from there. I guess I'll just wait for good deal to come by.

Yea I've had a good experience with craigslist, I've bought plenty of stuff from there. I guess I'll just wait for good deal to come by.

Craiglist is awesome for this. I buy/sell lots of stuff, including motorcycles, on Craiglist. I find that people selling on eBay want top dollar (or more) for their items and are willing to wait in order to get the maximum price. People selling on Craiglist are much more interested in "getting it out of the garage" and are more interested in moving items than they are maximizing the prices. Alot of people selling on eBay still suffered from the "anonymous internet syndrome" where they think they can mislead and then hide and no one will ever know who they were or find them.

When I bought my bike on e-bay. I drove 8 hours to pick it up myself to inspect it before handing over the bank draft.

WOW.........to think that some people think that scams and bad deals are on eBay and not craigslist??? Theifs and scammers are smart they are everywhere, the scammers from England are in both places, don't confuse that. Like the last guy said you are spending a lot of money the best way by far is to inspect the bike personally before you lay out your money......no matter where you find a bike for sale. eBay and craigslist both are great sources to find bikes for sale, neither one promotes thiefs or bad deals.

I have bought 4 bikes off ebay. 05RM250, 07KX250F, 07YZ250F, 07YZ125. I live in Canada and had to drive across the border to pick each one. Definatley worth it, each bike was in as good of shape, or better. You just have to look at the pictures, ask the seller a couple sensible questions about it, and usually you know if you are bidding on a good bike or not. It's not hard to tell when someones feeding you bull about the bike, also pictures tell alot. DO NOT bid on it unless you are going to pick it up, paying for it without seeing it is a BAD idea. I checked each one out and rode it before I handed the cash over. Sure I won the auction on ebay, but if the bike doesn't run right, or somethings wrong with it. Technically he described the bike wrong, so you don't have to buy it. Could leave him bad feedback, or no feedback? I've never had any problems with any of the bikes, although you really want to check those 250F's out before you buy them, they could be only be a matter of a couple hours before you have engine problems. Personally I haven't had any problems with any of the bikes I've purchased yet.. so hopefully it stays that way! nick

WOW.........to think that some people think that scams and bad deals are on eBay and not craigslist??? ....... eBay and craigslist both are great sources to find bikes for sale, neither one promotes thiefs or bad deals.

I think there was only only one person on this thread that talked about a scam on eBay. Of course neither promotes bad deals, but it seems that eBay tends to attract more sellers who are less honest than Craigslist.

I've been disappointed too many times buying expensive items like bikes sight unseen, i always inspect now.

I've bought two sportbikes off ebay. Both times the lister had many pictures and called out any scratches. I emailed the seller probably a couple times each also asking questions to be sure I was bidding on a good deal. Both times worked out. Hell, the 2nd time the seller even loaded the bike up in his truck, and drove from Detroit to Cincinnati to drop it off for me. He was going to Virginia and I was only a little out of the way. Both times the bike's were in as good shape as I thought. I'd never pay full price before seeing it though, but a down payment is fine to pay.

I ran accross a bike scam on Ebay. The seller was in England and had a big story how he brought the bike over from the states and couldn't get it plated. Taxes and tariffs and all of that. The bike was priced very well and included shipping from London. I had a friend that lived about 30 minutes away and tried to go see the bike for me. He never did. The bike did not exist. My advice is go see the bike and pick it up. It's the only way I'll ever

make that type of transaction. Or, you could turn on your patience and find a bike locally. You WILL find the deal you want if you can hold out.

good thing you didnt fall for it. but how would anyone fall for that crap. I mean come on bikes from england but couldn't get plated. just sounds like bs.

Ebay is like anyone trying to sell something. Most are honourable people but there are always these guys trying to rip people off. What makes it worst is they will probably never see the buyer so the temptation is even higher.

If possible look at any used bike purchase before buying.

If too far away find a friend to look at it or locate a nearby bike dealership and offer the mechanic $40 or $50 to look at it. Easy money for him and it will be money well spent.

Last choice - Get seller to send a bunch of pictures and ask questions. If anything looks either bit fishy walk away!

Never buy anything unless you get a warm fuzzy feeling about it.

post the link. i am in CA and if it close enough i will go take a look at it for you and give you my opinion.

if you buy it and pay for shipping i will take it to a shipping place for you.

post the link. i am in CA and if it close enough i will go take a look at it for you and give you my opinion.

if you buy it and pay for shipping i will take it to a shipping place for you.

:busted:

I bought my RM250 sight unseen off ebay but it was brand new from a dealer in the midwest. Shipping from Missouri to Arizona was ~$300, at least that's what the dealer charged me for it.