Sign in to follow this  

Decal works! Good or Bad ?

Hey ive been looking at what decal works has to offer. Has anyone had any experience with their graphics kits? Are they any good ?

Also my sticker kits never seem to STICK on the edges...

Is it ok to use old shrouds if they arnt scratched or do i need new plastics for the stickers to stick properly..

DeCal Works makes very good quality stuff. Their kits are very thick and stick great.

Cleaning the plastic prior to installation is key.

They will also install the graphics for you if you send them your plastic.:busted:

just saw you are in Australia. it wouldn't make sense to ship your plastic to them. they also sell plastic kits and will install the graphics.

I too use DecalWorks.

Great product. They stick well, and when I first bought them I also bought their application system. It really comes with a nice little plastic spatula and some simple solutions (soap and water works well too).

I install, and use a heat gun for the last of the tough spots... squeegy'ing out the solution and drying it in the same process, so it sticks well.

... old sidepanels work if not scratched up too bad. Deep gouges cause sticking issues. But make sure to clean them well with some kind of degreaser to remove any unwanted chemicals and then follow up with a window cleaning solution.

If you don't want to screw up your brand new graphics.... go out and buy some sample backgrounds, and practice!!! You'll surely wrinkle your first set... just be patient!

My bike has the DecalWorks brand also, and I really love the fit and quality. The tank shrouds also have a dimpled grip in the pattern to improve feel and stability.

They also custom build whatever type you want and fit the X model very well indeed. If I were to get a new set, very likely to go with DecalWorks again and again. I used different decals for the fenders and swingarm, and had to cut the back one for the tail-lamp. But just take your time, and clean all plastics well before sticking, I just use a clean rag and some gas, let it dry, wipe again with dry clean rag and go to town...ha ha

You can take the boy outta the ghetto, but cant take the GHETTO out the boy.

Heres a close up pic of my tank shrouds, you can see the grip pattern of the graphics, its a nice touch.

l_65d8d4a1e16f4e838630c625c5c905b3.jpg

Decal Works is great... used them many times. It's always best to apply graphics to new plastics, but not necessary. The scratches and such can cause more air bubbles. As for the edges, you need to use a heat gun and continuously press down on the edges for awhile. They need a bit of coaxing. Also, make sure to spray Windex on the back of the graphics and on the plastic. This allows you to move things around without permanence. Use a heat gun and a lot of rubbing to work the Windex out towards the edges. I personally don't like using the little squeegie thing that comes with the Decal Works kits because it scratches the crap out of the graphics... elbow grease and your finger tips work just fine.

Not sure if it matters being in Australia, but there's a fantastic MX graphics company in the UK called Zeronine. Their graphics are superb:

http://www.zeroninemx.com/

....... I personally don't like using the little squeegie thing that comes with the Decal Works kits because it scratches the crap out of the graphics...

Really? Never had that problem... but I don't use windex, I use a soapy solution of dish soap. It's slippery... and I spray it on the outside surface of the decal too. The applicator slides right across the decal - no scratches.

... plus my Lee Press On Nails don't get damaged. :busted:

There is something slightly effeminate about discussing the application of stickers isn't there?

Characterized by weakness and excessive refinement.

Ha, well you are always obsessivly refining your dirtbikes, hmmmmmmm

JAT in action...

oops.jpg

Ha ha... j/k

Nice job on the header wrap!:busted:

That bike looks great!

Thanks...don't get the black wrap, it will just burn off after a couple of hours.

What is the purpose of the header wrap? Doesn't that just keep heat in rather than out, where it should go?

What is the purpose of the header wrap? Doesn't that just keep heat in rather than out, where it should go?

Keeps you from burning your leg or pants. The heat just goes out the back with the exhaust. There might be some physics involved where the heat is trapped inside the header which in turn increases the velocity of the exhaust gas...but then I am just talking out my ass without any data :busted:.

What is the purpose of the header wrap?..............

For me?? SAFETY!

... I run wrap, and an E-Line guard. Nothing like your bike laying on your leg... sizzling away. In fact, I was just laying on my bike at an un-noted speed... sliding down the road, and thought.... "good thing for header guard/wrap"! Seriously nice to know it's there if you take a spill.

... so much for decal works commentary.:busted:

Keeps you from burning your leg or pants. The heat just goes out the back with the exhaust. There might be some physics involved where the heat is trapped inside the header which in turn increases the velocity of the exhaust gas...but then I am just talking out my ass without any data :busted:.

Infact your right, if you keep the heat inside the pipe it creates some form of high velocity, not sure of the physics, but i just know this is why they ceramic coat performance car exhausts. Heat in = good!