Sign in to follow this  

Need clutch help with 2002 yz 125

This weekend when I put the bike in first gear with the clutch in the bike would lurch forward and stall. I figured it needed a new clutch since it was the original.

I took off the case cover and I am staring at the basket and the 5 bolts that hold the springs on (I think). There are no grooves in the basked I can see so I am thinking that I don't need a new one.

Do I just take the 5 bolts off and go fiber, plate, fiber plate and so on until the entire stack is in there and replace the 5 bolts? Is it that easy?

Also, I noticed that that I will need to put the engagement screw (not sure what you call it) back in AFTER you put the cover back on the screw in until you feel resistance and then install the clutch cable.

I read the instructions on the site and I didn't see any that covered reinstalling the clutch cable into the cover.

Thanks,

Kevin

Yes it is that easy. The part where most people screw up is with the "re-engagement screw". They install it off one click and try like hell to adjust cable, then end up putting redoing it right. But... a worn out clutch should have the opposite problem from what you describe. Sounds like your clutch is just dragging. Pretty common but sometimes it gets bad like you described. Since you have it open, make sure no fibers and plates are stuck together, and just try a different oil. Different oils make a big difference sometimes. Also is the problem the same after the bike warms up? Does the clutch pull feel normal when bike is not running?

The clutch is a little tough to pull in but it feels free. I have brand new oil Rotella T 5w-40 Full Synth. The oil came out new after about 1 hour of riding. The clutch lever was all the way out and it moves the re-engagement lever quite a ways when I pull it all the way in. I will take off the 5 springs bolts and start pulling clutch parts out. The 02 had aluminum clutch plates (says the dealer) so if they are badly grooved then I assume they will need replacing.

The bike was not ridden much by looking at the almost no frame wear by the pegs.

At this point I feel like I should just change the clutch since it will be all apart and I am the 2nd owner. It will give me a little bit of confidence just knowing it was replaced. Dealer wants about $170 for all the plates and fibers though.

Make sure you replace the 5 springs also. Be very careful not to overtighten the 5 spring bolts when you put it back together or you will break them off. Just finger tight until they bottom out and then just a quick twist with a wrench is all you need.

Order the clutch online. Should be A LOT less than that. Try Rocky Mountain MC. Round $100 for entire kit. If they are not sold out of the Tusk kit, will be closer to $60.

Ok, I will watch the clutch spring bolts. I heard they were around 7nm or so. I have a torque wrench that I am pretty sure goes down that far.

I will update this thread with my progess. I am hoping there is nothing wrong with the basked but I won't know for sure until I get all the plates out.

Thanks

If it was me I would be going with OEM clutch fibers yamaha's clutch plates are the best. Also when you pull out the drive plate (the metal ones) there is a rounded edge of one side on the outter edge this side needs to go in facing towards the bike the sharper edge needs to be facing out.

It's not a huge deal if you accidentally flipped it backwards but it makes the clutch pull alittle harder if you do.

So last night I pulled out 1 fiber and 1 metal plate and took them to the dealer (about .5 miles from me). They said the clutch was fine, maybe new and not stock because the metal plates were steel and not aluminum. They said to try a cable and recheck the basket because my cable could be stretching when I pull the clutch in.

I replaced the cable (which is a PITA BTW) and put a new gasket on and put 22 oz. of fresh Rotella T in the case. It was still dragging. I took off and rode it for a while and the drag subsided once the oil got hot. I have a little play in the lever but not much, but just enough I think.

Hopefully I won't have any problems after today. I was supposed to check out a local track today but with all the running around I was not able to be prepared in time.

So last night I pulled out 1 fiber and 1 metal plate and took them to the dealer (about .5 miles from me). They said the clutch was fine, maybe new and not stock because the metal plates were steel and not aluminum. They said to try a cable and recheck the basket because my cable could be stretching when I pull the clutch in.

I replaced the cable (which is a PITA BTW) and put a new gasket on and put 22 oz. of fresh Rotella T in the case. It was still dragging. I took off and rode it for a while and the drag subsided once the oil got hot. I have a little play in the lever but not much, but just enough I think.

Hopefully I won't have any problems after today. I was supposed to check out a local track today but with all the running around I was not able to be prepared in time.

Good. A little dragging is normal. Might get better over time. Might get better with different oil. Least you're ridin!