Sign in to follow this  

Scorpion can fitting problem - Link pipe is bigger than header..

Hi there.

I've just bought a Scorpion exhaust and link pipe for my DRZ400 SK3.

The exhaust was originally fitted to an SM.

Well, the scorpion link pipe diameter is WAY bigger than the stock header so it wont clamp tight. Even with loads of exhaust putty, its too lose.

My stock header has an external diametre of 38mm where the Scorpion is about 44mm... Obviously a massive difference.

I went and bought a stock exhaust gasket hoping it would fit but that was too big for the link pipe so useless..

I thought the S and SM headers were the same size or am I mistaken ????

Is there a special shim for the Scorpion link pipe to stock header ???

Do I need to buy a scorpion header ????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

You could get an adapter made at a local muffler shop, or you could see if they could expand the end of your stock header to fit the new pipe.

Chris

The S and SM headers are the same. You could shim the header with some thin metal wrapped around it to make up the pipe diameter.

The S and SM headers are the same. You could shim the header with some thin metal wrapped around it to make up the pipe diameter.

Yer.. My first thought... Now im thinking that its probably not worth keeping the thin 38mm S header if I have a free flowing pipe. Especially as I play to jet.

maybe the e model header would work for the scorpion...

Yup.. I thought this too but I don't know what size they are ?????

My biggest concern here is spending loads of money "trying" things....

Yup.. I thought this too but I don't know what size they are ?????

The E model head pipe is 41mm. You can usually find one of these for under $100 on Ebay. FYI, the 41MM is the same size for any other after market head pipe made for the DR-Z aside from I think the MRD and Yoshi TI systems that you can't buy the head pipes seperately.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435944&highlight=rejoice+rs3+fmf

Hiya I have a scorpion and love it, but I have an E header, that only needed a thin metal shim to make it fit nicely. My guess is the PO had an E header and you dont which is why you have a problem. I recently bought an old E header (to cut up to make a custom exhaust) for £30 on ebay, a Scorpion is about £100 new I think. You can take your header to an exhaust builder (not quick fit!) and ask them to flarethe end of the header so the gap can be filled with a gasket (thin metal works best if you cant get an interference fit). If you go that route you may not need to rejet either which you might with an E header.

So the choices are buy a new header for £30 to £100 and possibly rejet - have you done the 3x3 mod? or get the existing header flared for a few quid and no jetting changes.

Dan

• Like 1

The E model head pipe is 41mm. You can usually find one of these for under $100 on Ebay. FYI, the 41MM is the same size for any other after market head pipe made for the DR-Z aside from I think the MRD and Yoshi TI systems that you can't buy the head pipes seperately.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435944&highlight=rejoice+rs3+fmf

there is one on ebay right now.

Yer, I do plan to do the 3x3 so the fatter header seems to be the way to go..

I was confused why this was sold as direct fitting to a SM model. It's obviously not so im going to make some fuss with the Ebay seller about it.

I cant bring myself to spend £40 for a rusted old E header when a shiney new stainless is £90.

Thanks for all the replies guys ! :busted:

Yeah mine has clamps too, got it from Dirtpipes as I recall. Just got my E header from E bay today ..... yup turned out to be an S!! The seller is sending out a proper E one today, so fingers crossed. But this one i'm cutting up to put the exhaust under the frame.

Dan

I just got through to Scorpion...

The pipe I have is for an E model.. so the seller saying that it came off a stock SM was talking shit.. too late now though.

So, aftermarket E pipes ??

Theres a number of after market pipes out there, scorpion do one I think, and CRD, the challenge is to get one cheap! One other option would be to get an engineering company (or mate with a lathe) to turn up an adaptor?

Dan

Theres a number of after market pipes out there, scorpion do one I think, and CRD, the challenge is to get one cheap! One other option would be to get an engineering company (or mate with a lathe) to turn up an adaptor?

Dan

Scorpion only make header for the S and SM now....

Just bought a DEP so ill find out if it fits when it's delivered ! :busted: