06 kx250f throttle concern

so i just bought my self a 06 kx250f and its my first 4-stroke. it runs great and everything but one thing that seems weird to me is when i rev it up then let go the throttle goes right back to place but the rpms only drop a little bit then a moment later they drop all the way back to idle. is this anything to worry about? thanks...

Racer24's suggestion for a true hanging Idle is correct.

If you manually return the throttle does it still hang? If not I would check the adjustment on the return cable and lube both cables.

The Hot start has nothing to do with ease of kicking.It adds a xtra shot of air to aid in starting when the bike is extremely hot. If it is stuck open it will cause the bike to run lean and run like crap.

make sure that there is no air leak and the clamps on the rubber air boot is on tight or if the hotstart plunger is seized and stuck open...hanging idle usually means its lean..has this always been a problem or did this just start happening

hmm have you tried setting the idle screw...the stock jets usually work through a wide range or elevation/temp unless the elevation is high above sea level. the pilot jet should be either a 40 or a 42...a hanging idle is usually a lean issue..

try Adjusting the idle until it is too fast with the idle screw. Then adjust it back down until it sounds just a little high or around 1900 rpms if u have a tachometer...then turn the fuel screw out usind 1/4 increments and see where the idle feels smooth and rolling on the throttle sounds good..should be more than 3/4 turns and no more than 2 turns..any more you need a bigger pilot jet..i suggest taking the carb out and cleaning through the jets

and figuring out what jets you are using and clip position. and if you can get an owners manual and try resetting the float level..the float level will through off the jetting even if it was spot on...

HERE IS HOW TO DO IT..I USE METHOD 1 http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/floatlevel.html

ALSO how does the bike run on the track..does it backfire when you let off and slow down for turns

• Like 1

if you bought it used, the previous owner might have had the jetting changed..but the backfiring is usually a lean issue ..if its backfiring on decel its usually the pilot circuit which could be fixed either changing the jet size or turning the fuel screw out...i suggest getting an aftermarket fuel screw to make easy "on the go" changes...my bike did that and i threw in a 42 pilot and have the fuel screw at 2....i also lowerd the clip position so i basically raised the needle to let more fuel through

okay so i turned the fuel screw right as far as it would go then i started it and gradually turned it left till i got to about 3 or 4 turns out and it sounds much better. the throttles way more snapy and it goes pretty much strait down to idle. i havnt looked at the jets or pin yet should i bother?