'93 350 WXC - head damage... is it worth fixing?

A couple years ago, I let a friend ride my '93 350 and somehow it sucked a valve head off while he was riding it. Not really sure what happened. Afterward, I had a mechanic friend tear it down and inspect the damage. The piston is toast and the head has some dings in it. He said at the time that he found a shop capable of repairing the head and that if I could find a piston, it might take about $700-$800 to get it back together.

The bike is in otherwise excellent condition, I even had the bottom end rebuilt about a year before this happened, including a new forged rod. The bike ran and rode great. I also have an '01 KTM 520, so I am not without a bike to ride. I am trying to decide if it's worth fixing this husky, selling it for parts, or maybe finding someone who wants a project. I remember that the rod kit took forever to find, and I am wondering if the piston will be the same story.

If the husky motor is not worth fixing, could I potentially swap a different motor into this chassis? Is so, any suggestions on likely candidates?

Any recommendations of shops that may be up to doing the head work?

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan

I do head work, being a Husky junkie (ridden them since 1969) I would be glad to tackle it, not certain what valve availability would be, likly a custom build/modify deal so I cant venture what the cost would be.

I am currently rebuilding my 350 from an identical failure. In hind sight, I kind of wish I would have just sold it and bought a new bike. Too much money invested in the repair now though.

After head repair including new seats/guides, new piston, new valves, new valve springs, etc. I'm easily into this repair for a grand. On the up side, these parts are available. Only part I am having a hard time getting my hands on is a new timing chain.

My 350 is not stock and that has also contributed to some of my pain.

I am currently rebuilding my 350 from an identical failure. In hind sight, I kind of wish I would have just sold it and bought a new bike. Too much money invested in the repair now though.

After head repair including new seats/guides, new piston, new valves, new valve springs, etc. I'm easily into this repair for a grand. On the up side, these parts are available. Only part I am having a hard time getting my hands on is a new timing chain.

My 350 is not stock and that has also contributed to some of my pain.

That's the issue. These bikes are worth very little in running condition. If you love the bike and plan on keeping it for a while well worth fixing. If not sell it.

Thanks for the info...

I figured that the repair cost may exceed the value. I'm still a bit torn... I had so much fun with this bike. When I picked it up, I lived up in northern WA and rode mostly in the typical slick, tight single track around Bellingham. It was fun, but it wasn't what the bike was designed for. Once I moved to the Hood River area, with it's open, loamy single track and long cross-country desert trail systems I discovered just how fast this bike is. The front end geometry makes it incredibly stable at high speed. I'm sure most of you in this forum realize this....

I guess that I'm considering offers at this point. As much as I love the bike, I think that the reality is that someone else will do it more justice than I can right now.

Cheers,

Nathan

I discovered just how fast this bike is. The front end geometry makes it incredibly stable at high speed. I'm sure most of you in this forum realize this....

yep, i know all about fast and stable with these bikes. Here is my old 93 610 with ported head, cam, pipe, fire breathing monster. Plated too, should have NEVER sold that bike.

339736861_hUNbc-L.jpg

[/i]I have a 1993 350 parts bike that I believe has a good head, cylinder, etc... Heck I think I may even have a timing chain (new) some where around in my garage. PM me if you guys want any used parts, my wife keeps bugging me to get rid of something ( I also have a 610, 94 I think).