Sign in to follow this  

Question for Shinko 003 users

You guys liking your front Shinko 003? I'm thinking about matching one up to my rear ContiForce SM. The Pirelli Diablo Corsa I have now seems to get loose too quickly and the Shinko can be had for super cheap. So, you guys running them still happy with them?

I just mounted a 150 on the rear last weekend. Works great! I am planning on going with the super-soft front when the front is due.

They do no not offer a SS for the rear in our size, but I am happy with it regardless.

We shall see how it does at the track day, if I can make it.

I just mounted a 150 on the rear last weekend. Works great! I am planning on going with the super-soft front when the front is due.

They do no not offer a SS for the rear in our size, but I am happy with it regardless.

We shall see how it does at the track day, if I can make it.

did you check out the shinko slicks? there soft and have them in the right sizes. if your a fair weather rider then you should check into them, theyre cheap too!! ryan(twinjetguy) has them and he loves them, i think he's gone through a few sets already

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/19579

Yeah, I saw those. To be honest, I considered it briefly. But, before the Station Fire broke out, ALOT of my time was spent blasting around up on the Angeles Crest Hwy.

Not only can it have spots of sand, but it is strictly patrolled, especially on the weekends. I would hate to get nabbed for them, just sitting in a turn out or while having a sodi-pop up at Newcomb's.

So, I had to pass on them for now. Now, for the upcoming SM track day, they sure would be the hot ticket. But, then again, I don't know how much the 003's would give away to a slick, especially on a tight, dirty kart track, where there may be some dirt kicked up in the apex and being so slow that the slicks may not ever really get up to temp.

All that said, I wouldn't rule out trying them in the future. :busted:

Yeah, I saw those. To be honest, I considered it briefly. But, before the Station Fire broke out, ALOT of my time was spent blasting around up on the Angeles Crest Hwy.

Not only can it have spots of sand, but it is strictly patrolled, especially on the weekends. I would hate to get nabbed for them, just sitting in a turn out or while having a sodi-pop up at Newcomb's.

So, I had to pass on them for now. Now, for the upcoming SM track day, they sure would be the hot ticket. But, then again, I don't know how much the 003's would give away to a slick, especially on a tight, dirty kart track, where there may be some dirt kicked up in the apex and being so slow that the slicks may not ever really get up to temp.

right on:ride:

i see what your saying!:thumbsup: next time you come into a few extra $$ grab a set and keep them lying around for your next track day and see how they are.

cheers logan

I wouldn't worry about getting stopped for them. It's only going to be a fix-it ticket. Just takes time to take them off, put DOT ones on, and show the cops to write off, then pay your $15 court dismissal fee. Then, take them back off, and put the slicks back on. Like I said, it just takes time and hassle to play the game.

The only drawback that I'd be concern about running slicks, is getting caught in the rain.

Now, for the upcoming SM track day, they sure would be the hot ticket. But, then again, I don't know how much the 003's would give away to a slick, especially on a tight, dirty kart track, where there may be some dirt kicked up in the apex and being so slow that the slicks may not ever really get up to temp.

I'm really curious as how they'll do on the track. I've read/heard bad/good stuff about them. You guys need to test them out on the upcoming track day, and prove everyone wrong. :thumbsup:

Yup. You can never have enough wheels / tires, IMHO! :busted:

Again, here is a link to my Shinko mounted up;

http://www.socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?p=375710#post375710

Feel free to log in over there and chat up SuperMoto stuff. It is our car site, but Tetge and I are waging a full on DRZ invasion over there in the motorcycle section! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about getting stopped for them. It's only going to be a fix-it ticket.

No, no no! Ceasar, I've seen this happen! And it is not a pretty sight!

IF you are cited for a worn / bald tire, it is a fix-it-ticket, as you explained, no biggie.

BUT, if you are running slicks, they are not DOT approved, and are not to be used on a public roadway. This is where it gets ugly; They then claim it is an "unsafe vehicle" and they make you park it, and tow it out of there, or THEY will. CHP does not phock around with this, especially in a high enforcement zone, like Angeles Crest, Mullholland, etc.

Maybe if you were up in the twisties out in the middle of nowhere, but not on popular So Cal bike roads.

Besides, I ride with Tetge. That makes just being around a likely trip to the grey bar hotel. As he is either drunk, belligerent, engaged in a exhibition of speed, OR more likely, all three at once! :busted:

No, no no! Cesar, I've seen this happen! And it is not a pretty sight!

IF you are cited for a worn / bald tire, it is a fix-it-ticket, as you explained, no biggie.

BUT, if you are running slicks, they are not DOT approved, and are not to be used on a public roadway. This is where it gets ugly; They then claim it is an "unsafe vehicle" and they make you park it, and tow it out of there, or THEY will. CHP does not phock around with this, especially in a high enforcement zone, like Angeles Crest, Mullholland, etc.

Maybe if you were up in the twisties out in the middle of nowhere, but not on popular So Cal bike roads.

Besides, I ride with Tetge. That makes just being around a likely trip to the grey bar hotel. As he is either drunk, belligerent, engaged in a exhibition of speed, OR more likely, all three at once! :thumbsup:

Really?!! Wow, that bad up there ha?!! Yikes!!

Do they look for it? I know another guy to run them besides Ryan, but never got caught down here. He was just buying time to put DOT ones back on, because they just got back from the track.:busted:

Well for the most part, everything is mello. But, every now and then, you hear about guys getting tagged for equipt. violations like pipes, tires and the usual stuff. If you are doing something really silly, or have an attitude about the whole process, I've heard of them going after guys who have removed the required factory red and yellow reflectors and all kinds of whacky stuff.

Perhaps not while rolling along, but sitting still, I would think slicks would stick out like a sore thumb!

Hey, bad gas for all you thread-jacking mo-fos! :banana:

:thumbsup: Ha ha, just f-ing with ya. I think I'll order a front 003 tonight so I'm ready for the track day. :busted:

Okay guys, went to place my order and now have another question. Should I get the regular soft or ultra soft compound? Which compound would more closely match the ContiForce SM?

Thanks!

Get the soft. Better matches the conti and will last a lot longer then the SS

Cheers!!!

Another note.... I've noticed with a super soft front can feel greasy on the streets, just my .02, I guess I just like medium to hard compounds.

I was going to go with the SS on front, the regular soft out back.

My reasoning being, that 1. The bike will stick better, with the rear breaking loose before the front. Not enough weight up front to heat the tire up equal to the rear. 2. Due to the balance of the bike, alot of weight is put on the rear tire, thus making it wear 2-3 times faster than the front. Going SS on front might balance the wear.

Unless, you are simply looking to commute on them. Then, if that were the case, I suspect you would be using a harder compound tire than the Conti.

Wait... you say track day? I take all that back. Go fit an Kenda touring tire on there. I would like to pass somebody on the track day. :busted:

Cool. Just ordered the 003 in soft compound. Should be here Tuesday, which means I need to rip the bike apart this weekend to be ready to have the tires mounted for the track day on the 20th.

I was going to go with the SS on front, the regular soft out back.

My reasoning being, that 1. The bike will stick better, with the rear breaking loose before the front. Not enough weight up front to heat the tire up equal to the rear. 2. Due to the balance of the bike, alot of weight is put on the rear tire, thus making it wear 2-3 times faster than the front. Going SS on front might balance the wear.

Unless, you are simply looking to commute on them. Then, if that were the case, I suspect you would be using a harder compound tire than the Conti.

Wait... you say track day? I take all that back. Go fit an Kenda touring tire on there. I would like to pass somebody on the track day. :busted:

Ha ha, no way dude, I need all the help I can get!

I went with the soft because it will be serving double duty as a commuter and occasional track day tire.

I've noticed with a super soft front can feel greasy on the streets

Logan, shouldn't he compare how his last set of matching tires performed?

For me, the rear OE Dunlop was feathered and greasy after a good long canyon run. The front, was like new. No heat, little wear. This, even after dropping the front more than the rear (meaning I went down like 5 psi out front and only 1 or 2 below recommended out back). It still wouldn't heat up and match the rear wear pattern.

But, everyone has a different riding style, weight and preference.