Sign in to follow this  

Top speed on drz400e/hp!

Alright my dad has a 2001 drz400e and it is geared 1 down in the front but stock in the back, what is the top speed roughly? Also what is the top speed just on stock gearing? Last question is that how much horsepower does a drz400e have?

Find a flat road, open throttle, you will find top speed after about a minute.

Find a flat road, open throttle, you will find top speed after about a minute.

great thought, but there are 2 problems I see here:

1.) The DRZ400E does not have a speedometer:eek:

2.) But even if it had one like the nice fancy model on the 400S, the reading would be so far off that he still would not know his top speed:smirk:

AND REMEMBER......for all of you that change your tires, the stock 400S & SM Speedometers are set up to read the speed (or what I call the estimated speed considering the error factor) using the stock tires only. If you change the tires to something other than that has a different rolling distance per 1 revolution of the wheel, you change the actual speed reading to something other than what is displayed.......get it????

Hope this helps.....but I may have only confused the issue:thumbsup:

:busted:

Typical speedo error is right around 8% from my experience. After much testing with several bikes from an '04 Kawasaki ZX-12R, '04 VStrom 1k, '05 Hayabusa to my '08 Busa and DRZ-SM. They all read a higher indicated speed than actual speed. This, tested with electronic timing equipt. at the local drag strip, a calibrated radar gun, and most recently with a GPS.

All were quite linear for some reason, maintaining right around a 4.5 mph error factor.

FYI, previously, my DRZ SM on stock rubber went 100 mph while indicating 104. Last weekend with +1 rear sprocket, and a brand new 150/60-17 Shinko it ran out to an actual 102 mph, while indicating 106 mph. It seemed to be bumping off the limiter at that point.

I don't see why the other model wouldn't be very close to that. Most nudge "the ton" in stock, or very near stock form.

Alright my dad has a 2001 drz400e and it is geared 1 down in the front but stock in the back, what is the top speed roughly? Also what is the top speed just on stock gearing? Last question is that how much horsepower does a drz400e have?

I have an S model with E stock gearing on it. I hit 83 on the speedo I think it would of climbed another couple mph if I had kept the throttle open but it was about there. So with compensating for the error in the speedo I would say 80 mph is about it . If you are down one tooth from stock on the front you are probably around 75mph top speed. With the S gearing I have seen 95 on the speedo but it would not hit the limiter it ran out of power first.

Well, as you know, Top Speed threads are almost as fun as Oil Threads and What Tire is Right for me, etc.

But, I shall continue...

It is such a simple question, but such a complex, difficult question to answer accurately.

One must take into consideration many things; Altitude, Wind, elevation changes, frontal area (how well you can tuck), jetting, air pressures, bike maintenence, etc. etc. etc.

One true way to find out. Go do it. Then again, it will be different from one pass to the next, no matter how hard you try to be consistent when it comes right down to it.

Easy answer for now; They'll do "right around" 100 in perfect conditions out of the box.

As Brakelate stated, top end varies. For instance, his white 09 SM is faster than my black 09 SM by a considerable margin. Part of the advantage he has could be aero as I am much fatter than he is. Also I have a Corbin seat and Clark tank, but, his stock mirrors compared to my bar ends should cost him a couple of MPH top end. We went for a little ride on Hwy 33 up out of Ojai and the other bike was a 1966 Velocette Endurance 500cc single in stock trim. It belongs to my little brother and yes, he has dog ears on his helmet. It is interesting to note how few RPM the Velo turns as it passes Brakelate. And, although the DRZ's could perhaps match the Velo's top speed, they were wrung out and the Velo was cruising. Brakelate is on the white DRZ with the red leathers. The video is a bit over 20MB but the quality of the GoPro is not all that great so I try to render the videos in as high quality as the Microsoft Movie Maker allows. I believe that Brakelate hit 98.6 on his GPS on the final top speed run, but, obviously I got nowhere near that speed. My bike can do 92 or 93 actual MPH top speed. The Velo can do the ton according to my brother but he is a sand bagger so, who knows?

http://www.tetge.com/Vid/Velo/TopEnd.wmv