Need latest Trail Info For Ouray, Colo.

Hey Gang, having gazed into my clutch basket crystal ball and rubbed my FMF genie lamp till it shines I am still only finding info. on jeep trails in the Ouray area. I'll be there Sept. 12-14 and would love to check out what else...Singletrack! Saw some older posts but the way things open and close (mostly close) I thought I'd start a new thread to get the latest info. And if you want to make jokes about shining my genie lamp, go for it! I'm a FNG to TT From Ogden Ut. so I deserve it Haha!

maybe Tom (Enduro-ince) will chime in. I believe Nate Creek and Alpine Loop are open until the snow flies. i haven't rode those yet, myself, but hear they are great. i live on the Telluride side, and our best single track, the Wilson Mesa trail, is closed for the season. East Fork trail on the Rico side of Lizard head pass is a fun one, then you can connect to the road that comes out eventually to Hermosa Park area by Durango Mtn Resort. you could ride from Ouray over Imogene Pass or Black Bear to Telluride, then up the highway to Lizard Head Pass then do more trails back to the Silverton side of things. Also, not exactly single track, but the riding out at Flattop in Montrose is always great! wide open trails, great ditch runs, big hill climbs! hope that helps a bit...

Thanks for the info!

NF, come on dude, I'm wanted in at least 4 states, I can't just have my name floating around the intrawebs like that:bonk: But then again my name is TOM Richard Harry so the authoritays will have their work cut out for them.

Nate Creek is done for the season but the Alpine Trail is still legal. You could slab to Owl Creek pass road just north of Ridgway. Take that over the pass and down to Silver Jack res,(20-30 minutes) jump on the Alpine Trail(not easy) That'll take you to the Alpine Plateau rd and down to the highway about 10 miles outside Lake City. If you are worked,(alpine can do that to a person) take Engineer from LC down to 550 and into Ouray, If your feeling He Man, take cinnamon pass rd to Wager gulch aka carson townsight,to lost creek atv trail to lost creek ST trail which turns into Pole Creek ST trail and spits you out on Stony pass rd. If your worked, slab it to ouray over red mtn pass. If you are still in He MAn mode, go out to animas forks, California pass, down poughkeepsie gulch to engineer rd and left to 550.

does that make any sense?

Shit, I think I'd get lost following those directions:thumbsup: Get a good map and it will be clear as mud:smirk:

Thanks for the advice, I found the Alpine Loop map online so its good to "see" the loops. I'm seeing Howardsville to Animas to Cinnamon to the singletrack heading south and then down to Stony Pass back to Howardsville. No license plates on either bike and will my wife kill me for taking her on this one?

Enduro-ince, sorry for the slip,but i am not even convinced the name i know you as is real, but as always your amazing knowledge of local trails has shown itself! if the authorities ever do catch up, i will have to help bail you out, so you can keep the rest of us headed in the right direction!

To Happy Hauler, if you are looking for easier singletrack, you could also look into trails off of the Divide Rd, Spring Creek area-look on a map for the Dave Wood Rd west of montrose to where it connects with the Divide Rd heading north. Trails like the rim trail (ATV) or Dented Door (singletrack) and several others in that area. not quite as "in your face" scenic as the Alpine area, but it definitely doesn't suck!

Thanks Guys! Stopping in Montrose at Planet Motorsports to see Joe for our permits, maps, etc. With all the Dakine info on TT I need more days to ride!

hit up Kevin at Planet for trail info. That guys knows everything about the area. Seriously, he has been involved in riding out here a very long time. was just down there looking at a new Beta 450 RS-might be one in the garage soon!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Captn Kirk
      Three of us decided to get the heck out of the Midwest weather as we are suffering a bad case of the wife is driving us crazy right along with the cabin fever.  A couple of us have been to MOAB once before but we're only three and we like a bit larger group when the riders are fairly well matched.  However, and this may show what I DON'Y know about MOAB, the one day of riding I was able to do out there last year before having to head home for a family burial, it seems to me that the skill level required for most of MOAB is fairly dialed down compared to Taylor Park so matching up skill level as a group seems less an issue.  Now don't skin me alive if I am wrong, I already said I don't really know the area yet.  So anyway, if anyone is interested in joining us on the trail, we'd like to know about it!
    • By techguy82
      Weather should be awesome, thinking of taking the day off to go ride rampart or something else close Friday. I'm not one to go riding by myself so if anyone is thinking about it let me know! My usual riding buddy has plans.
    • By firemountain
      Spring is almost here and I was wondering if anyone has been by pipestone... How is the snow looking?? MTDOT pass web cam is down so I could not get a visual on the snowpack. is the lower area still a bit wet or is it starting to dry up a bit. Looks like we have some really good weather this week. I think I am going to head there this saturday to check it out but if anyone has any updates post them here.
      Also, last year was my first year there and we only hit it in the late fall. We really liked the area and were able to go 4 or 5 times. If you are a regular shout out and lets go riding.... I plan on spending a lot of time there this year.
    • By DRZ_4G
      Action Alert: The Araphoe/Roosevelt Nat. Forest Service, Boulder Ranger District has released its Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) which will be the Forest Service’s official map of all roads and trails open to motorized use in the District. If a road or trail is not on this map, it will be officially closed and some areas will be gated and shut down, and violators will be fined.
      The Boulder Ranger District's draft MVUM was released this week, but is being officially unveiled Wednesday Nov. 4 between 3-7pm at the Forest Service office in N. Boulder at an Open House. The draft MVUM includes NO trails (i.e. singletrack) open to motorcycles, except existing FS roads (i.e. jeep roads) and the few existing singletrack trails in Left Hand Canyon OHV area (LHC). Basically, the FS is saying that there is, and will be no singletrack open to dirt bikes in the entire Ranger district except the 4 miles or so of singletrack in LHC. If the existing trails do not get put on this map, there is no chance for them to open in the future, without a very difficult and slim chance process. They need to be included on the MVUM in order for us to fight to open them.
      At this point we are trying to get the dirt bike community to show support for keeping trails open to us. Tomorrow night, the FS office is having a Open House to review and talk about the MVUM. We need as many people as we can to stop in be a voice for the dirt bike community. Basically, just stop in and ask why there is no singletrack or other trails open to motorcycles in the entire district other than LHC. Let them know that they are missing all the singletrack trials that dirt bikes have been riding for decades and that there are 100’s of us out there that will be adversely affected. They have completely excluded the singletrack trails at 509/Gold Lake, West Magnolia, Gordon Gulch, Rollinsville and everywhere else in the district. Also, within the next 10 days, there will be a comment period. All comments will need to be submitted by the deadline. I’ll follow up with more information about getting comments in. This is very important so keep a look out here on TT or with the Forest Service.
      PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD. Our collective voice is our only chance. For example, in Breckenridge a few months ago, over 100 motorcyclist showed up to a city council meeting to voice their opposition to some proposed closures. As a result of the turn out, the city council delayed the closing until further study.
      Do what you can to keep these trails open and legal. Get Involved. The Draft MVUM can be found here:
      Sorry for the late notice, but I just found out.
      Thanks, Gary.