Switching from 4t to 2t?

I just got rid of my 250f for a 250 2t. Ive never ridden a 2 stroke so i have some questions. You obviously have to shift the 2t more right? seems like they run through the gears very quickly. when it gets on the pipe or over revved it feels like the clutch is slipping or it just revs very freely. obviuosly time to shift. previous owner put a brand new clutch in it so i dont believe its slipping. just hard getting used to the power delivery of a 2t. anything else i should know?

anyone?

pin it to win it :busted:

jk, if the power is signing off at high rpm's it could be due to pipe combo or jetting...reeds etc...

not sure if you've rode lots of 2 strokes or if your even experiencing a problem?

Not signing off. jetting feels spot on. Just quits pulling im assuming its out of gear

anyone?

can you tell us more about the year and brand of your bike? also do you know what the front and rear sprocket sizes are on your bike or if they are factory stock or have they been changed? but either way a 2 stroke will keep you busy shifting compared to a 4 stroke:ride:

i had same change...very happy with the smoker...loves to rev...first ride i was so used to keeping the rpm's lower that i was bogging it down...shift down..and power is on tap...freaking rocket ship..always wants to go faster..very aggressive ride

its a 2006 rm250 with 13/50 gearing. It just feels like it runs out of gear. blows through the rpm's and power pretty quickly. its not jetting def sounds crisp and no bogs

rm250-1.jpg

clutch maybe..i think that gearing is stock

Once you get past the bottom end and into the powerband you should feel like you're being sucked into a vaccum almost. The motor, at this point, should be revving high enough that fear of doing harm to it causes you to shift. The fact that you are topping the gear out and not getting acceleration is pretty interesting.

On my bike I shift through 1st and 2nd very quickly but 3rd and 4th are wide enough that I only get into 5th on long straightaways.

You can also forget about engine braking. Downshifting will keep the bike alive but don't count on it slowing you down much at all.

clutch maybe..i think that gearing is stock

Has a brand new oem clutch in it. inner hub plates and all

Once you get past the bottom end and into the powerband you should feel like you're being sucked into a vaccum almost. The motor, at this point, should be revving high enough that fear of doing harm to it causes you to shift. The fact that you are topping the gear out and not getting acceleration is pretty interesting.

On my bike I shift through 1st and 2nd very quickly but 3rd and 4th are wide enough that I only get into 5th on long straightaways.

You can also forget about engine braking. Downshifting will keep the bike alive but don't count on it slowing you down much at all.

I can for sure feel it when it gets in the power but it seems like once it revs ast that point it quits pulling and thhen i shift. just seems like it should pull longer in each gear

rear tire has meat? is it spinning? soft dirt or sand? if im on the gas my rear tire is usually spinning a bit

Once you hit the powerband this thing should be scary fast,how fast does it feel compared to the 250f? Maybe your not reving it out enough,I did that at first when I came off my 250f.

Not sure really. it feels faster but it doesnt seem like it at the same time either. odd. need to run it against somebody to find out

i dont think ure used to the bike yet the 2st has a much diffrent spread of power , but that is a great looking bike btw

I also just made the switch back to a 2 stroke (04 kx250 from an 08 crf250) and know the problem you are having. From my experience its hard to know when to shift when your obviously in the powerband because there is no rev limiter so the motor doesnt sound different it justs starts to drop off. On my crf you can really hear the sweet spot to shift at but the tone on this 2 stroke is very similar throughout. I think its just taking time to get used to. I only have 3 rides on it and am already starting to get more comfortable with the power of it. Hopefully just more seat time will help you and it isn't something mechanical.

I had this with my cr125. It came down to a fat main jet and a combo with the pro circut pipe. I changed the jetting and she pulled better. But these smokers do just sign off when the hit the wall They are not like a 4 stroke that keeps pulling to the rev limiter.

literally pin it to win it. no joke thats what i do and it works.

WFO everywhere you go its hard to stay out of powerband with me. when it stops puling shift up then wide open from there on

I also just made the switch back to a 2 stroke (04 kx250 from an 08 crf250) and know the problem you are having. From my experience its hard to know when to shift when your obviously in the powerband because there is no rev limiter so the motor doesnt sound different it justs starts to drop off. On my crf you can really hear the sweet spot to shift at but the tone on this 2 stroke is very similar throughout. I think its just taking time to get used to. I only have 3 rides on it and am already starting to get more comfortable with the power of it. Hopefully just more seat time will help you and it isn't something mechanical.

I think you pretty much explained it the best. i think thats the exact problem im having with it. in my head it still should be pulling that gear and winding out but really its out of gear or off the pipe and dropped off in that gear

I just got rid of my 250f for a 250 2t. Ive never ridden a 2 stroke so i have some questions. You obviously have to shift the 2t more right? seems like they run through the gears very quickly. when it gets on the pipe or over revved it feels like the clutch is slipping or it just revs very freely. obviuosly time to shift. previous owner put a brand new clutch in it so i dont believe its slipping. just hard getting used to the power delivery of a 2t. anything else i should know?

Compared to a 450 you will have to shift more but to a 250f the 2strk 250 should be pulling longer gears. Once you hit the power band it should still be pulling another 3rd or more before signing off. If its signing off right after it hits then it could be a gas/air flow issue. Jumping from a 250f to a 250 2strk and never been on one before the hit should be scaring you at first, if not I would say its not running correctly in the top end. As far as clutch slipping goes... If you are at a dead stop and get on it starting in 2nd it will be nomal not to feel (4strk like traction) until top of 3rd-4th gear. Thats just 2strk wheel spin but you will get use to it.