Sign in to follow this  

Sub tanks on KYB SSS fork

Has anyone tried any sort of sub tank system on the newer KYB SSS fork? I ride a 2008 yz450f and am struggling to get the fork to work well in motocross and desert. What are the opinions about sub tanks? Experts please feel free to chime in!

your fork is the most tuneable out there, but thats not to say a subtank cant improve it and fine tune for you, i have never ridden a sub tank on a kyb so can help more.

I don't believe sub-tanks are the best answer for closed chamber forks. There's a myriad of complications that make them not as desireable as they were on the older open-chamber forks.

The Element 7 Bladder kit would be something you might want to consider.

Has anyone tried any sort of sub tank system on the newer KYB SSS fork? I ride a 2008 yz450f and am struggling to get the fork to work well in motocross and desert. What are the opinions about sub tanks? Experts please feel free to chime in!

I've got your bike and ran with sub tanks for a while and found no improvement in performance. I had Dave J. at SmartPerformance do my suspension and it's flat out amazing, sub tanks not necessary.

I don't believe sub-tanks are the best answer for closed chamber forks. There's a myriad of complications that make them not as desireable as they were on the older open-chamber forks.

The Element 7 Bladder kit would be something you might want to consider.

Could you go into more detail about the complications sub tanks provide on these forks?

Could you go into more detail about the complications sub tanks provide on these forks?

Well, first off the adapter that you need becomes a restrictive barrier in itself - which defeats the whole idea. I know that some people just hog the bleeder screw hole out and re-tap for the sub tank fitting. But on your fork you either then have to drill a hole in the side of the IC piston, or you have to drill through the original bleed screw path.

Secondly, with sub-tanks you have to run a higher than normal oil level. This creates issues with TC forks because then the spring seat acts as a damping element. Potentailly, the plushness that you're trying to gain with the sub tanks is defeated by the higher oil level acting on the spring seat.

That's why the Element 7 is a better answer for TC forks. It makes the forks much plusher and almost completely speed sensitive. You can read more about it here:http://www.mx-tech.com/?id=articles_news&mode=list&start_at=1&type_id=2

Look under "My personal review".

The other nice thing about the E7 is it costs the same as an Enzo Subtank set up, but a fork revalve is included in that price.

:busted: