Sign in to follow this  

cam journal repair takegawa

is there any way to repair cam journals . its a takegawa super head. hope its not a paper weight :-( thanks for any info.

Only logically option I can think of.

Is Purchase a Stage 3 roller cam (the monster cam), and roller cam Holder from Takegawa, and have the head machined, for the roller bearings.

Might want'a inspect/replace the valves and guides too.

Oil pump and oil passage ways, as well.

Megacycle use to offer roller bearing cams conversions with head machining, It wasn't cheap, from what I recall!

Keep me in mind if you deside to let it go.

You won't find anybody to machine the head like it is in stock configuration, roller bearing or not. The only option is like gmann mentioned, you need to cut thru the valve cover mating surface on the head for tool shank clearance like megacycle did. Stock heads are probably cast with finished cam bores.

I would think a new head would be cheaper.

was running it a bit hard . and i think the oil pump took a crap happened real fast . the motor had fresh oil and was filled right :busted:

this "was" your old kit actually bikes n wheelers .

yzman 400 thanks for the link ill check it out.

its a shame that this head is possibly junk because of this would be nice if at least the high priced takegawa heads had some kind of replaceable cam journals but i guess this dosent happen too often :thumbsup::banana:

ill post some pictures of the damage in a little while for those interested

Wow! When my oil passage was clogged (long story) it made a high pitched whiney sound, which saved it because I shut it off before any damage was done to the head. Did yours make any wierd sound at all?

between my loud yoshi pipe and helmet. it was too late by the time I herd the racket . suprisingly it never really lost anypower . when I slowed down herd the knocking and it was RIP time for my superhead...lol

you play u pay I guess

sent the head out to engine dynamics . see what happens . might or might not be fixable...lol

i predict paper weight.

sent the head out to engine dynamics . see what happens . might or might not be fixable...lol

i predict paper weight.

I think you will be suprised at what they can do. I thought the same thing about my 400 head and they didn't even bat an eye at it.

If they want to charge too much you can always get another Takegawa kit and sell the cam and cylinder separately on ebay. I sell the cylinder and piston as item and sell the cam on another. I got over $200 for a used BBR TTR 150 kit. So if you can get near $300 for both (might be wishful thing) that would be like paying only $300 or so for a new head. Just a thought if you going to spend close to $200 for head work, valve guides and whatnot. But if they can do it for like $100 or so, that would be the ticket or go with a bearing cam and make it better than new.

good info. socalxr. I won't be spending too much to repair this head. even if its fixed will most likely be a spare. I'm leaning towards saving for hole new kit anyway I got this kit used so its not such of a slam in the pocket for me ... the compression was always a bit below spec on this kit

by the time I get another cam . cylinder ect ect best bet is a new stage 2 kit .

the head is dead....lol can't be fixed.

keep a look on ebay. parting the entire bike out. bbr gold triple. yoshi pipe. engines only tm24 carb . baja designs light and stator . plastics . takegawa 115 cylinder. stunt pegs . ect ect

Powroll sells a cam with a roller bearing whose OD fits the factory journals, good or bad.

Also there was a thread on here about a kit to install ball or roller bearing on the sprocket end of the cam. Bothe of these could be a bolt in fix.

So before you spend a load of money call Powroll.

Powroll sells a cam with a roller bearing whose OD fits the factory journals, good or bad.

Also there was a thread on here about a kit to install ball or roller bearing on the sprocket end of the cam. Bothe of these could be a bolt in fix.

So before you spend a load of money call Powroll.

i sent them an email waiting to see ..i looked over their web site and didnt see any cams with bearings ... thanks for the info