CRF 230M ~ Ever heard of such an animal?

I never have. I saw it for the first time this morning on eBay. I went to the Honda website and saw that there is indeed one under the Motard section.

Notice that there is a rear disc brake? Maybe it could bolt up to the F model? Too bad about the forks. They look the same.

The carb is bigger on the M: 30mm CV vs. 26mm piston-valve.

The final drive has fewer teeth on the rear sprocket for the M: 13T/38T vs. 13T/50T.

The front forks have .5" less travel on the M. Everything else is the same.

The rear shock has a whopping 2.4" less travel on the M.

The rear has a 220mm disc rotor on the M.

The wheels are completely different;

Front: 110/70-17 Dunlop GT401 Arrowmax

Rear: 130/70 Dunlop GT401 Arrowmax

The wheelbase is 1.5" shorter on the M at 52.6" vs. 54.1" on the F.

The rake on the M is 23.9 degrees and on the F it is 27.3 degrees.

The trail on the M is 3.58" and on the F it is 4.4"

The seat height is 31.7" on the M vs. 34.1" on the F.

The gas tank is larger at 2.3 gallons with a .7 gallon reserve on the M vs. 1.9/0.4 on the F.

Ground clearance is 9.3" vs. 11.7". This is the 2.4" lost on the rear shock. Funny how the front shock lost 0.5" but didn't affect the ground clearance number.

The wet curb weight is 276 lbs. on the M vs. 249 lbs. for the F. That's 27 lbs heavier for the M. I'm guessing lights, extra fuel, gauges, mirrors, wheels.

The price is $1500 (MSRP) higher as well. $5,400 vs. $3,900. ~ BTW, the one on ebay is BIN at $4,395.

I'm wondering about such things as:

1. Do the Motard wheels bolt up on an F model?

2. Would the rear swing arm/disc set up bolt on the F model?

3. Would the light kit be any more less expensive than Baja Designs or similar?

4. Is the stator larger and would it swap out as well?

Mike38 ~ me too. A 425 or 450 would be perfect. The 230cc is just a little small for street or serious motard endeavors. A friend has a Yamaha WR250X that he seems to enjoy. I thought that it was a little under powered for the street. Maybe with some different gearing. Another guy that is in our club has a KTM 690 SMC that has a little too much power for such a tall bike. That statement should be qualified by me not being used to that riding style for the street. I ride a YZF600R on pavement that is a lot lower to the ground, so I'm used to the 'planted' feeling that I get from being lower even though they use the same size tires front and rear. (well the KTM front has a 120/70 and my Yamaha has a 120/60 ~ I don't think that should make a difference)

Pigryder ~ Thanks for the info and I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Yeah, I did the search thing before I posted, but nothing came up, then I did the search again to see if my post popped up. That's when I found yours, so I linked it to this post. ?

I tried to delete this one, but I came up empty on that as well. :busted:

I did notice that the L and the M are similar, and only noted the F differences.

Blue.

Geeze ~ Talk about being a little slow...

After I posted that last reply, I went into "the Library" to do my morning thing, where I have a few motorcycle magazines that I methodically go through reading each page from cover to cover (never turn a page unless it is read, that way it keeps it fresh). Just as I turned to the next page to be read in the September Motor Cyclist, lo and behold, a review on the CRF 230M. (page 46).

The article seems to bash the hell out of this bike with sentences like:

"Power-wary riders needn't worry as acceleration is far from overwhelming."

"Even with the 30mm Keihin carburetor at full yawn in top gear, the 230M tops our at an indicated 75 mph--and it takes its sweet time getting there."

"Spool it up near redline, however, and the ensuing high frequency buzz will leave you rubbing your backside to rouse deadened nerves."

"The dash is as rudimentary as they come, with only an analog speedometer and the most essential indicator lights."

"At the current rate, the CRF's miserly 2.3 gallon payload should be good for around 200 miles."

"The CRF230M is a viable option for entry level riders, but the antiquated engine design leaves something lacking--namely power. Unless seat height is their foremost concern, newbies will be hard-pressed to choose the CRF230M over the faster, more sophisticated--and cheaper-- Kawasaki KLX250SF."

I do understand that this is an entry level bike, but maybe Cycle World doesn't. I do know for over $1,200 less, you can buy the Kawasaki Ninja 250R that has much better handling and power delivery. I actually picked up my girlfriend's for $3900 complete with a Scorpion EXO 700 helmet thrown in. Yes, these are two different types of bikes, but entry level is entry level. It all boils down to the riders personal preference and comfort level to gain confidence in the world of two wheeled riding.

I think that if I wanted to ride this style of bike on the street, I'd go the route of dual sport tires and lighting for my CRF 230F. I'm just excited that there might be a swing arm with rear disc that could possibly bolt on to the F model. Does anyone know that this will work?

"Power-wary riders needn't worry as acceleration is far from overwhelming."

"Even with the 30mm Keihin carburetor at full yawn in top gear, the 230M tops our at an indicated 75 mph--and it takes its sweet time getting there."

"Spool it up near redline, however, and the ensuing high frequency buzz will leave you rubbing your backside to rouse deadened nerves."

"The dash is as rudimentary as they come, with only an analog speedometer and the most essential indicator lights."

"At the current rate, the CRF's miserly 2.3 gallon payload should be good for around 200 miles."

"The CRF230M is a viable option for entry level riders, but the antiquated engine design leaves something lacking--namely power. Unless seat height is their foremost concern, newbies will be hard-pressed to choose the CRF230M over the faster, more sophisticated--and cheaper-- Kawasaki KLX250SF."

Typical motojournalists, spoiled on free bikes delivered for them to test short-term, beat the hell out of them, then have them whisked away before they need so much as an oil change. No wonder they have no regard for simplicity, ease of maintenance or longevity.. all categories in which the "antiquated" design beats the KLX and its valve problems. No wonder they seem to have AADD, keep referring to an odometer as a "clock" and make smartass comments about "full yawn" and their butts tingling. They need a swift boot to their ass, that'll shut up their whining about the butt-tingle they get when abusing a bike like they never would if they owned it. Ugh, I can't believe I ever sent CW a nickel.. it should be free with all the paid advertisements anyway.

"The CRF230M is a viable option for entry level riders

How do you like that one pigryder?:banana: :banana: Sure MotorCyclist he's an entry level rider:smirk:

This a guy that handles a 650R like a mx bike, at the track, the woods, the rocks, the stripmines, the pavement, and everything in between and a good part of that time on the rear wheel only.?:banana: Oh yeah and thats with a 6.6 gallon tank and usually dirtbags and other gear.:busted:

O.K., so it happened again. I was sitting down this morning and reached for the other magazine (Cycle World) that was laying on the floor, since Motorcyclist was in the den next to the computer to get my info straight when I wrote my other post.

They have a write up on the 230M as well, only this one isn't so critical on the little girl.

Check it out if you want more info.

+1. Best info possible - own, ride and work on the bike, preferably w/shop manual

Next best - the consensus of many opinions and articles, free off the internet

Decent - Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN)

BS and glossy eye-candy - Mo'cyclist, CW, etc. With some exceptions, people like Kevin Cameron and Andrew McDonald with their tech articles.. also the occasional long-term/living-with-it test isn't too bad.

I figured if we want more bikes like the 230m and L we need to buy whats available right? My buddy at work bought a 09 230L and he loves it and he ownes a 08 suzuki bandit 1250s. My wifes 230L has 10k on it now and I can guarantee it will see 20k with no issues :busted:

I would like to add this also....... mags kiss my 230 loving @ss

DSC01913.jpg