Weekend Camping

We would like to hook up with other families with kids in the central valley area to go riding and camping with on the weekends during the winter riding season. We are planning our first trip of the year to Hollister this month on the 18th. We normally also head out to Spangler for Thanksgiving for the traditional cast iron turkey and several other weekend rides around the area. But it would be great to have some other families to hang out with and for the kids to ride with. :busted:

Thanks

We would like to hook up with other families with kids in the central valley area to go riding and camping with on the weekends during the winter riding season. We are planning our first trip of the year to Hollister this month on the 18th. We normally also head out to Spangler for Thanksgiving for the traditional cast iron turkey and several other weekend rides around the area. But it would be great to have some other families to hang out with and for the kids to ride with. :busted:

Thanks

Hey I would be interested, the hardest part for me is getting the weekends off. We have a wide variety of riding skills in my family which usually means we don't hit any extremely difficult riding areas with the whole bunch. Hollister is pretty easy though. Don't think we can make it for this month, but we've been meaning to plan a weekend Hollister trip here in a month or two. If I remember I will drop a line to you.

Thanks

We are right here in Coarsegold! Planning a ride this Saturday. PM if interested.

Spangler is better for the kids and family, the riding is excellent and has allot of different riding. Last year we rode to Schmidts tunnel and my son at 10 years old made the ride of 50 miles there and back. We got back just a few minutes before dark and he was tired but he was so full of confidence after completing the ride! Thats what dirt biking is all about.

I've never ridden JB.Really don't care to.Put it this way.Your kids can ride outside of camp and not get in trouble or you for that matter and you can't get in trouble for being on a closed trail.Oh yeah! Theres hills there too.

I grew up riding Jawbone with my father and all his friends, so it's really the only place I know out in that area, maybe it's time I try something different and go to Spangler this year. But you're right, there are a lot of closed trails at Jawbone.

If you have any personal pictures of Spangler, I'd love to see them...

Been to Jawbone... agreed... lots of closed trails... so we spent rest of the day in dove springs. Had tons of fun, but its seems as it would get a bit tight on the weekends during the season, if you can catch it during the week or in the off months... it's fun. I do a lot of the family riding too... a 10 and 6 year old. Cal city seems to be the perfect fit. Tons of room, easy riding, and some good stuff for the daddy's too. I can just put my 6 yr old on his 50 and do a quick/super easy 4 mile loop right from camp. Haven't been to spangler or hollister. There is some great riding in Johnson valley but maybe a bit tough for the little ones. Hollister is just too far away. My spots in Cal City have become habit now. Maybe i need a shove in a different direction. Any great spots someone wanna give up?

With all of the problems at JB and trail closures Im guessing Spangler will only get busier and Im hoping that it will not be next on the list for trail closures after it starts getting more popular.

Still, no matter how busy at Spangler, get a couple miles from camp and you will avoid the crowds.

• 2 weeks later...

hi! We live in Paso Robles and just wondering if anyone knows how long of a haul is it to Spangler? We have one child, he's only 3 but loves to ride with us and almost tall enough for his 100! LOL. Anyways we are REALLY wanting to do a weekend trip with the toy hauler and our stargazing equipment and need DARK OPEN SKIES & CAMPING close to home yet where we can ride(not Pismo, too much light but we do ride all the time there)... anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!