Sign in to follow this  

is this a scam? airbox snorkel upgrade?

My buddy with KLX 250 S put the snorkel from the KLX 300 in and rejetted for some gains (though I don't think it was a huge difference as claimed). My guess is its the same thing.

maybe a little. For that machine, you prolly need to goto a hi-comp piston, a cam and a pipe. Appropriate jetting, airbox mod, gearing, etc to get what I think you want. I'm assuming you've found that your little stealth dual sport lacks some horsies? Doing these mods will eliminate the super quiet commuter you have now, but doesn't have to get loud and annoying either. Do some research, and I'd think for about $500 you can get something a bit more to your liking, motorwise. Suspension and tires are another story. This is not to put down the stocker. I have a friend that bought one, and although he has no problem going fast on it, I really don't desire the heavy little bike with a lackluster offroad motor. On road, it's fine. Offroad, it lacks plenty.

You can have an opening the size of the grand canyon but you still have to deal with the smallest opening or restriction. I would like to see a shot of the small end as it is probably the same as the big one.

I can't comment on the Kawasaki, but one of the common performance mods on Honda (and others) trail bikes is to remove the airbox snorkel.

You can see mentioned in many places.....

That's one of the things that a lot of people do to the TT-R230 also. I have a TT-R230 but haven't done that. For what I use it for it's just fine after re-jetting and going one tooth larger on the front sprocket.

To the OP: I wouldn't spend any money on another snorkel. I'd just ditch the existing snorkel and maybe drill a few holes in the airbox. IF your bike is restricted in that area and you re-jet for the the additional airflow you should see an improvement. NOT a huge improvement most likely. Probably require a dyno to see the difference.

I can't comment on the Kawasaki, but one of the common performance mods on Honda (and others) trail bikes is to remove the airbox snorkel.

You can see mentioned in many places including:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37645

http://www.rickramsey.net/XR250R.htm

Almost ever XR250/XR400 owner has the snorkel sitting in their garage far from the bike. My XR400 snorkel is like new and never used. Go buy a UniFilter.

My buddy with KLX 250 S put the snorkel from the KLX 300 in and rejetted for some gains (though I don't think it was a huge difference as claimed). My guess is its the same thing.

And the guys with the 300's are removing the whole lid. That isn't a 300 snorkle. Maybe it's from a KDX. I've heard of guys using that.

I doubt removing the snorkle on the late 250's will do anything without doing something about the exhaust. A stock 300 can with a Fourstroke Works head pipe will get most of what an aftermarket system gives for a lot less money.

Just remove the snorkel, or the whole lid. Why buy a better choking part when you can remove the original choking part? Thats like replacing an old worn out tire with a freshly worn out tire, you still end up with a worn out tire.

Just remove the snorkel, or the whole lid. Why buy a better choking part when you can remove the original choking part? Thats like replacing an old worn out tire with a freshly worn out tire, you still end up with a worn out tire.

Perhaps that's what this eBay seller is all about. He goes around scrounging up the snorkles from people who remove them completely, and then sells them on unsuspecting buyers on eBay.

Like Dr.Snorkel said why remove a dirty sock , take a shower and put the dirty sock back on? Toss the lid the snorkel rejet or recarb.

Scam: How many orifices in your body do you have that I can cram shit into?Stick to trusted sellers. Check them twice.