Sign in to follow this  

new to the crf450x

I bought a 07 crf 450x and have been lookin for a site to help work on my new ride. Already did the bafflectamy, did the smog pump block off, and will be doing the air box mods here soon. Just sayin thanx to those who helped me with the know how of my bike. I went from a 05 trx 450r to the crf 450x. How similar is the motor????

I bought a 07 crf 450x and have been lookin for a site to help work on my new ride. Already did the bafflectamy, did the smog pump block off, and will be doing the air box mods here soon. Just sayin thanx to those who helped me with the know how of my bike. I went from a 05 trx 450r to the crf 450x. How similar is the motor????

It's close. Close enough. Make SURE you do the jetting changes (JD jet kit) before too long. It is the life blood of the motor to get the intake, exhaust, and fuel/air ratio corrected from the factory specs.

I live at sea level, so knowing just the mods ive done. Wat do u think my jetting should be. remeber ive done the baffelectamy, smog pump block off and will be doin he air box mod within a few days.

It's close. Close enough. Make SURE you do the jetting changes (JD jet kit) before too long. It is the life blood of the motor to get the intake, exhaust, and fuel/air ratio corrected from the factory specs.

I live at sea level, so knowing just the mods ive done. Wat do u think my jetting should be. remeber ive done the baffelectamy, smog pump block off and will be doin he air box mod within a few days.

None of that matters until you do the jetting changes. You are running extremely lean right now, and opening the air box will make it worse.

I would buy the JD kit, as it has lots of good instructions about the airbox, AIS, exhuast, etc.

i already have a jetting kit for it. Im just wondering what size my jets should be atm

Try a 165 main, stock pilot and buy an NCVS needle and put the clip in the 3rd position or JD red needle in 3rd position. This will be a good starting point.

so with me being at sea level, doing the baffelectomy, and the smog delete i should run a 165 main, stock pilot and the nvcs needle at 3rd clip?? anybody else have a take on this??

so with me being at sea level, doing the baffelectomy, and the smog delete i should run a 165 main, stock pilot and the nvcs needle at 3rd clip?? anybody else have a take on this??

That sounds in the ballpark. I would try that first...with the airbox opened up it may be perfect. With an aftermarket exhaust you could even bump the main up to a 168 or 170 depending on the outside air temperature.

Dude - you've given the bike more air, but it needs more fuel! It's a balancing act.

You should be good with a 165 main (maybe 168 although frankly it doesn't matter much beyond that). If you have a JD needle, go with the red in the 3rd clip position and everything will be in harmony.

sorry guys just tryin to get more imputs. With my trx i took me like a whole 10 mins to get the jetting down. CRF is a diff machine so just tryin to get a few diff aspects is all. not to be a dumb ass

i live in the palm springs area so i basically ride out here, glamis, and ocottilo

sorry guys just tryin to get more imputs.

You're absolutely doing the right thing! Ask, ask and ask again. No question is a stupid question unless it's about which tire to run :busted:

hmm so yea that was next on the list of questions......... PHHHHHH yea umm no LOL

BTW: your avatar is quite possibly one of my favorite pictures of all time. That was pinned to my cubicle wall for a couple years before I moved to a stuffy insurance company where it wasn't quite appropriate.

yea ive had this avatar for a long time now. If you go to trx450r.org u will see it there on that forum too. Although i dont go there anymore due to me getting rid of that bike. thanx for the help tho guys, really appreciate it. Im no newbie when it comes to workin on bikes. I just like to reassure myself when i do shit im unfamiliar with. Like i said i went from a trx 450r that i buit up to a crf 450x which im unfamiliar with. So just tryin to get my feet wet so to speak

Did ya check out the jetting thread... I used it the other day, and submitted my new info. A great resource for a base line.

... in fact, I'm leaving my airbox completely stock for my first jaunt this coming Saturday. Oddly, the bike wanted some fat jetting, and all I have is an MRD header and pipe. Obviously I won't know if it's perfect until I do a throttle chop back to camp... But I'm only planning on a minor airbox top mod if anything. I want to keep my '07 as submersible as possible.