Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone found a paint/coating that sticks to IMS tanks?

I managed to score an IMS 4.9 gallon tank for $60. The only downside is that it's missing the petcock and some other pieces. It was also beyond filthy.

I've cleaned it down to being almost beige (it's supposed to be white), but I'm considering having the local bed liner shop spray the whole thing with the black bed liner material. My only concern is that the stuff won't fully adhere to the tank and bubble off over time, as standard paint does on the IMS tanks.

Anyone have any suggestions?

there are things that will help it stick but the tanks breath threw the plastic so gas vapors come threw it not sure if i would want to try mite be a wast of money .At least thats how it was explained to me .

I use to sell Dupont products and there is this stuff called plastic prep to help paint stick but like the other guy said vapors will make there way through the tank and eventually it will peel off. Not sure how the bedliner might work though,

If the bedliner doesn't work you could find yourself with a real sticky mess between your legs.

I researched this topic a lot...

If you like the look, bedliner is probably your best bet. Some guys on Advrider had their PE tanks coated with LineX and it held up well, do a search over there.

Another thing I have seen recommend is to rough up the interior, best done by putting a handful of self tapping scews in there and then shaking it around for a long time. Some guys wrapped it in blankets and put it in a concrete mixing machine.... Then coat it by pouring in a bit of slow setting epoxy at a time, make sure it is PE compatible!

After that process you can paint it normally and it won't let any fumes through.

Hmm, that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'm going to call a few of the local spray liner places and see what they think. I may just have to suck it up and deal with the ugly finish on the tank now.

I've cleaned it down to being almost beige (it's supposed to be white),

Anyone have any suggestions?

You sure you didn't get a natural colored tank? They start off fairly clear and end up beige but at least you can still see your fuel level.

Please keep us posted on your results.

You sure you didn't get a natural colored tank? They start off fairly clear and end up beige but at least you can still see your fuel level.

Please keep us posted on your results.

Nope, it's definitely white. The parts of the tank that weren't dirty are very bright white. Plus, you can see through the natural finish, this you can't see through at all.

I will definitely keep you guys posted!

Edit: I just got off the phone with the local Line-X dealer and they seem to think it will work if they use a "special primer". I'm going to drop by there next week so the guy can take a look at it. I'll report back.

Someone that I have ridden with took a natural colored tank and sank it in some RIT dye to match the color of his bike. Eventually, the color fade and now has a pink tank. LOL :busted:

I called Rhino liners tech line and they called me back and left me a voicemail. Apparently it will stick fine to a plastic gas tank so long as it is prepped, primed with the "special primer" and completely covered in the stuff.

I guess I'm going to play guinea pig :busted:

I painted my IMS gas tank two years ago and paint is holding well. A few times in the woods I laid the bike down only with scratches on the tank. No craks or peeling paint off. 7000 miles on it. Riding in winter too. First I sanded down the gas tank with DA sander and 180 grip. I used prep cleaner for plastics. Then I primed with primer for flexible plastics (using for car bumpers). Using 400 grip watersand I sanded the tank down. And then paint: sealer, base and flexible clear. Tomorow I will add some pics. All PPG stuff.

• Like 1

Got my new IMS tank today....will be bringing it to line-x tomorrow. I'll post pics when she gets back from her makeover.:smirk:

Got my new IMS tank today....will be bringing it to line-x tomorrow. I'll post pics when she gets back from her makeover.:lol:

I had Line-X coat the inside of my skid plate a couple years ago for resonate and reflective noise reduction. Huge improvement in sound BTW. :smirk: They told me the same thing with their cleaning and primer process after I told them I was worried if the coating was going to stick to the aluminum with oil, heat, gas and pressure washing. I have to say the stuff has been on there like cast iron from day one regardless of what I've done to it. :ride: Hopefully it will work as well on your plastic tank.

Sometimes you just need a nap......finally got pics to load.

I'll post one mounted on the bike tomorrow. Turned out well I think. Taped off a gas site line for easy viewing.

that looks cool but holy cow is it ever thick personally i think the tank looked awsome before, it looked new or was it? anyhow awsome let us know how it holds up