Sign in to follow this  

How is the clutch itself activated?

While I've got you guys, how is the clutch itself activated? Messing around trial and erroring it (mainly that everything I trialed resulted in an error) I couldn't figure out what happens when the clutch is pulled in. Just want to make sure I put it all back together correctly (got it all laid out in order on the bench)

The clutch lever is pulled in, moving the cable attached to the clutch release arm (Part 21)down on the clutch cover, it in turn rotates a clutch release cam shaft (part 20) in the cover that is just outboard of the clutch.. On that vertical cam shaft there is a cut out engagement part of the shaft near the bottom, that when the cam shaft is rotated (by the arm, cable, lever) it engages a clutch push (part 19) (which is a "cap" that sits on the end of the clutch push rod Part 17 ), which rides on a bearing (Part 12) in the center of the clutch pressure disk (part 8) , pulling it away from drive(part 5)/driven (part 7) plates,, when that happens the clutch disengages (slips). When you release the lever, the springs (part 9) push the pressure disk back, again clamping the drive and driven disks between the pressure plate and the hub (part 4) .

attachment.php?attachmentid=11482&stc=1&

Edited by E.Marquez
  • Like 4

To install the clutch release arm on the clutch release cam shaft.. rotate the shaft counter clockwise (when looking at the top) as far as it will go.. that allows the shaft to engage and seat the clutch push... Now install the arm so that it is at the 12 o'clock position...

2FA098BD-3742-410D-8971-74C3A108F58B-4535-000006FA6B300C4B_zpsb80618561.jpg

NOTE: My set up is ONE spline off of the dots aligning due to the needs of my aftermarket Magura clutch set up. that places my arm at the 12:15 position, STOCK would be at the 11:55~12:00 position.

You may also see a alignment dot or line on both the top of the shaft and the arm to assist in correct placement. Some have that dot or line and others don't.

Clutch Maintenance and Inspection

Started by E.Marquez, 15 Jun 2008

For more detail on clutch inspection and service 

• Like 2