Sign in to follow this  

ktm fork seals

tell me why ktm fork seals leak so bad? i "had" a 2002 520 SX and found fork oil inside my trailer every week. i cleaned them properly and finally wondered why i had to? the bigs are expensive and should last longer.

You may need to bleed off the air. The manual says you should do this every rides.

At the top of the fork there is a small philip head screw. Back the screw out and you will hear the air escaping.

Good luck,

If your seals leak all the time, you have a problem (and it isn't just the seal design). My '02 got a minor leak in my first year and before replacing them I decided to try cleaning out the seals. I ran some old film negetive along the sealing surface, pulling out loads of crap, which fixed the leak. On someone's advice I filled the seal retainer with waterproof grease and have been leak-free ever since. Annually (sometimes 2x/year) I clean the old grease and crud out of the retainer. Mis-aligned forks can also cause a leak, BTW. Loosen the lower fork mounts and bounce them up and down a little to re-align, (then remember to re-tighten:ride: ).

Good Luck!

The H2O grease inside the wipers works well. We clean after every ride and can easily go a year w/o new seals.

I have a friend that put fork seals from a kx in his 520 and cured it.