Sign in to follow this  

OffRoad AMA Hare Scramble-Youth, Bike Size & Class for 14 year old

Searched... and couldn't find an answer on TT and have been doing some checking on the AMA Website. My 14 year old son is interested in racing a Hare Scramble race. Going by the size of his bike (03 YAM WR-250) I don't think he is elgible to compete in an AMA sanctioned Hare Scramble youth race. I believe the 4 stroke limit is 150cc and 125cc for 2 Strokes. Being 14, he is elgible to race in the Amateur (Adult race) in a class suited for his level - His is definately a beginner class or C-Class rider at best and I really don't think he has the skill set for an adult course nor would I want him getting run over by Pros & much faster adult riders while getting lapped. He belongs on a youth Hare Scramble course and in a youth race regardless if he was on a 125 2-Stroke, 150f or 250f. What I don't understand is that the AMA rule quote says:

"The minimum age for amateur riders is 12-years. In all off-road events, a rider must be 14-years or older to ride motorcycles above 250cc. The age of the rider is determined as of the date of the event, except in youth competition"

If I am reading the quote above correctly, a youth rider 12 and above can race in a non-youth (Adult) AMA Hare Scramble race but has to be 14 to race a motorcycle above a 250. The largest 4-Stroke I have seen at an AMA Hare Scramble youth event is a 150f. The largest 2-stroke has been a 125. It seems that given my son is 14 and is riding a 250f, he is between a rock and hard place (Been there many times myself :busted: ) and can't race his 250f in a youth class on a youth course (Where he belongs) and has to race in a class with Pros & adults on a larger and more difficult course. I hope I am not mudding up the water. I have asked several people at several different AMA races and have gotten several different answers. Does anyone know the details on this and if I am correct on the AMA rules? I was really hoping he could race his WR-250f in a youth class or school boy class where he belongs but going by the rules, his bike is too big and he has to race in an adult amatuer class. For non AMA sanctioned off-road events, this is not a problem. Likewise if this was an AMA Motocross event, he would be fine on a 250f in the 14-16 school boy class. If all the above is true, do I have to go purchase my son a 150f or a 125 2-stroke for him to compete in an AMA youth hare scramble race?

PS. I appologize if this should have been posted in the General Forum versus the Off-Road pro-racing...

You're correct in your assessment of what class your son should ride in. He will have to ride in the C class on that bike. By his age he qualifies to ride in the morning youth (mini or super mini classes) but he cannot ride that bike in those classes. He's at a hard age if he doesn't have racing experience. My son is 13 and has raced for two years but now is way too big for his 85 but he is struggling a little on his KTM 200 in the adult races. Look up the Ama District 15 website amadistrict15.org to find the different venues. There are only 2 events left this year this weekend and Oct 11. at Plymouth Blackhawks (Culver IN). This would be a good event to start at since it's very flat and sandy so it's the easiest of the courses. If your son moves over for the faster riders he'll be find there wont be pros at this race. I can help you guys get going if you like we'll be at that race.

Thanks for the response and confirmation. Culver does sound like the ideal race for him to get started but looks like it is going to be too far for us. The race in Greencastle or Columbus is a possibility. Many of the courses around here are just too hilly or difficult for a beginner like him. (We are outside of Evansville in Southern Indiana) The youth races are definately more tailored for his skill set.

It still doesn't make sense to me that there is an AMA Motocross school boy class (14-16) that a youth can ride a 250f in - but no school boy class in an AMA off-road event such as a Hare-Scramble or Grand-Prix. I may just have to ride with him in the beginner or C-Class and ride behind him and help him out in the next event. The problem is that I am not a C-Class or beginner rider and was really hoping he could race in the youth class in the morning where I can spectate and help him out and then he could do the same for me in the Adult race.

Thanks again for confirming and good luck at Culver! :busted:

Dare I say a 250f is not above 250cc ?

nor is a 250 2-st.

aren't they typically 248cc ?

He could ride 250C class .

I'm sorry but it is just a bit of a tough spot for kids your sons age. The reason they don't have a schoolboy class is that there isn't enough riders for it. Even if there was a schoolboy class it would have to run with the big bikes. The mini course just isn't a good fit for big bikes.

Feel free to pm me if you want guidance with which courses are better for beginning racers. Stoney Lonesome (Columbus) probably isn't one of those courses as you're either going up or down hill. You probably wont be able to ride in C class although you could ride B class and start with the C riders and give him a hand now and then. I thing that's probably the best strategy. I just tell my son treat like a trail ride and have fun with it.