oil pouring from overflow tube

i started my 2005 crf450x today and let it idle for about 6-7 minutes and looked over to see oil gushing from an overflow tube. any idea what it could be?. i have 2 more of the same bike that have about the same amount of hours/miles and ive never seen anything like this.

If it's the crank case vent I would be worried about a cracked piston or broken ring.

ouch. any idea how much it would cost to get it checked out?

ouch. any idea how much it would cost to get it checked out?

Trouble shoot other potential causes then if you can't find a reason you could take the top end apart yourself. Worst case scenario is you'll have to buy parts and get someone to put it back together maybe:thumbsup:

i'm sure i could do the work, i just don't wanna screw it up, bought the bikes brand new in 05 and barely have 3000 miles on them

If you have a trustworthy mechanic you might ask for a trouble shoot and repair estimate.

Check the simple things first... How much oils in it ?

what simple things could i check for? whats confusing me is it was the easiest of the 3 identical bikes to start. could over heating cause this problem?

i ran the bike again after checking the oil and nothing happened, could it have just been a one time thing?

maybe oil got in the tube by laying the bike down? i couldnt imagen blowby causeing this on a 450x unless major damage has happened... i did have a guyser of oil on my vw diesel out the dipstick hole after a injector stuck and cut a hole in a pistion but never on a bike. Id ride it a bit- i place my bets on it being ok

Simple things = amount of oil.. Dont go via the the dip stick, id drain it and measure.... thats if it happens again.

Did you drop the bike, lay it down etc ? Park it on a hill or something ?

the bike has been on it's kick stand for the time of it being stored, i will drain the oil and measure from there. about time for an oil change anyways. and it was stored on just about level ground

the bike has been on it's kick stand for the time of it being stored, i will drain the oil and measure from there. about time for an oil change anyways. and it was stored on just about level ground

This was my problem. My first indication was overflow, ended up being the right side seal.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801288&highlight=oil+swapping

right on, thanks for the info. if it's an easy fix i might as well do it. i was thinking if i have to have the bike down i might as well do the piston/rings and any other "timed" maintenance while im at it. thanks for all of the info everybody!