Buying a 2002 426

Thanks for the replies guys. It just amazes me that when you go to look at a bike it is comlpetely filthy. You would think that if your gonna sell something you would first clean it up. Went to look at this YZ426 and it looked like he just came off the track, than he states he hasnt started it in over a month. Call me crazy but the bikes i have sold oin the past I cleaned them up.

Thanks for the replies guys. It just amazes me that when you go to look at a bike it is comlpetely filthy. You would think that if your gonna sell something you would first clean it up. Went to look at this YZ426 and it looked like he just came off the track, than he states he hasnt started it in over a month. Call me crazy but the bikes i have sold oin the past I cleaned them up.

Yep, if he couldn't even wash it knowing you were coming over I'd keep looking.

Yep, if he couldn't even wash it knowing you were coming over I'd keep looking.

roger that... when i switched my '05 drz250 for this '02 yz426f mine was spotless and likewise the yz was spotless just like in the pictures he sent me. of course though his airfilter(the yz's) wasn't very clean. he didn't use no toil like i do. i had the filter in my drz spotless and handed him the extra which was also spotless and he even said 'oh a brand new extra filter?' i told him no i just use no toil :busted: i bet he's since switched... *end commercial* ?

replace the timming chain when you get it. it proboly has too many hours on it. recomended to replace 40-50hrs by people on here. i bought a really claen 2002 yz426f and it blew up after two rides cause the timming chain was streched out

sounds like something i should consider. how can you tell it's stretched? i guess by tearing it apart and checking huh?

the manual should have the chains specs. i would just replace it though before you ride it too much again. its proboly due for changing. dont want to end up like me with a blown head and belly for of misery. ?:busted: i wish i could be ridding this weekend. to take the timming chain off you need to take the valve cover off and remove your flywheel and stator. i would do it before my next ride if i was you. cheap insurance. if i only knew to do it before mine blew up:foul:

It's only a $13.00 part, just replace it as failure can be quite catastrophic.

The 426's are pretty bulletproof bikes if they are reasonably maintained.

$13.00? where did you find a cam chain for that price? seriously i'm working on a list of things i need and so far have $172 worth of stuff on rockymountainatv but can't find a cam chain on their site to save my life...

$13.00? where did you find a cam chain for that price? seriously i'm working on a list of things i need and so far have $172 worth of stuff on rockymountainatv but can't find a cam chain on their site to save my life...

If you buy it do the following as you don't know the history of the bike...It will be worth it and will save you in the long run..

Put a piston and ring in it....Insurance as it will like ly have the stock one in it and they do wear.

replace the timing chain and check the tensioner.

Check valves.

Tear down the linkage and clean and grease it completely.

pull the head set apart and clean and grease.

Change coolant.

Put a plug in it.

put an hour meter on it and change the oil on a regular basis (6hrs or so depending on oil)

Check the throttle cables and replace if freyed and in poor shape (see alot of them go bad)

Change the suspension fluid....

pull the subframe and power wash the air box and clean the filter....

Full day worth of pretty much putting a wrench on all the nuts and bolts and screws while you are doing everything else....

Now go ride the piss out of it and change the oil/filter and clean the airfilter regularly and dont worry about the thing for a great while....:busted:

I didn't get a chance to really read all of the posts except the original, but i highly recommend buying a 2002 YZ426. I have had one for 4-5 years now and the valves are still in spec. Just regular maintenance and you are good to go. That is if the original owner took care of it. I have thousands of miles on mine, and it kicks over first time everytime. I have had minor issues lately but they are all standard stuff that just needs checked once a year (cleaning carb, bearings, etc). I had a water pump go out this year, but it was cheap to fix. I am looking to get a new bike in 2010 (dual sport) and if Yamaha made a decent dual sport i would buy it, but i am getting a KTM. Cross my fingers....

If the YZ426 does not have a hotcam in it, then get one, the decompression lever sucks. Do the BK Mod for the carb as well.