Sign in to follow this  

Duke 2 handling is strange??

My mate has just bought an 03 duke 2, i took it out and it didn't want to turn in on corners and seemed very stiff on the steering and was constantly trying to sit up and on one occasion i ended up on the other side of the road, as i have never ridden one of these before i have nothing to compare it with but it does seem wrong, it feels like the centrifugal force was working really hard against me. Is this normal or is there an obvious solution. I have been riding for 30 years and never felt anything like this. Any advice will be good. Cheers. :busted:

Other than the usual stuff such as worn or improperly inflated tires, worn or loose steering stem berrings, worn suspention, crash dammage, etc. The only thing specific to the Duke II that comes to mind is the rear chain ajustor is supposed to be set with the axil in the upper hemispher of the ecentric, I.E. 10,12, or 1 oclock. If the ajustors get turned around or the chain is way too long or short it could cause the axil to wind up in the 3,6, or 9 oclock position causing weird handling. Just one of many possibilities though.

I have two 2000 duke IIs . I just recently bought the secound one. The first one turns really well (just falls into the turns). It has the axle in the wrong position which raises the rear end of the bike. It gets kind of scetchy ( like it wouldn't take much to start tank slapping) above 80 MPH. The one I just bought has the axle in the correct position, but acts like what Your bike sounds like it is doing. It seems to turn better in one direction than the other. I thought maybe the guy before me may not have bounced the front end up and down before tightening the pinch bolts on the lower fork legs ( to center the wheel). I loosened the wheel and did the above process, but haven't tried it yet to see if that is the reason. Also, I'm wondering if it is because the rear of the bike is lower that my other Duke II. If that doesn't fix it, I'll fist swap out my front wheel off my other bike ( maybe a bent front rim?), then the axle (bent?), or the tripple trees might not be lined up (or forks could be bent). Let me know if You figure Yours out and I'll do the same for You. Kind of wierd that You have the same problem. I actually like how my other:thumbsup: Duke is set up...I just wish it was more stable at speed.

I was also thinking it could be the difference in tire profile. On my one Duke II I have a MAXXIS PRESA SUPERMOTARD tire. On the One I just bought there is a METZLER SPORTEC M3. Both are 120/70-17. The SPORTEC has a rounder profile compared to the PRESA. I really like the MAXXIS. It handles really well in the twisties.:busted:

I just bought one and it scared the piss out of me, dramatically understeering and basically handling like a pig.

I took it to a suspension expert here in Austin and it turned out to be setup crazy wrong, with the rear all the way to no preload (the collar that sets preload can slip since it's split) and the front set up all the way the OTHER way, so it was riding a chopper. Night and day.

Unfortunately, still nothing like the Husky 610SM I had been riding but have to return to my friend who lent it to me.

I plan to explore tires next, something with a taller profile if I can find it.

My mate has just bought an 03 duke 2, i took it out and it didn't want to turn in on corners and seemed very stiff on the steering and was constantly trying to sit up and on one occasion i ended up on the other side of the road, as i have never ridden one of these before i have nothing to compare it with but it does seem wrong, it feels like the centrifugal force was working really hard against me. Is this normal or is there an obvious solution. I have been riding for 30 years and never felt anything like this. Any advice will be good. Cheers. :ride:

What bikes you ridden before?

Bumping this old thread up to see if any of the original posters are still here. I just got my 2nd Duke II and as the other poster - it is much harder to turn in when going straight. Almost feels like the front end is choppered out and at an angle - nothing like my other Duke II. Im running the same front rim and tire from my first duke, and the forks are at the same height in the triples. Any ideas?

sounds like a jacked up rear shock or axle position. My 02 turns so damn quick it almost throws me off the bike.

sounds like a jacked up rear shock or axle position. My 02 turns so damn quick it almost throws me off the bike.

Can you elaborate about the axle? Thanks!