Gotta sell the XR... help me with pricing.

Yep.... gotta sell it. I have no idea what these are actually selling for. It's a 2007 with 5500 miles, all stock and in great condition cosmetically. It needs a rear tire but that's it. I just put a new counter sprocket and chain on less than 200 miles ago. I'm in the bay area. I see listings on CL for $5000 but I know that's not realistic. I was looking for $3900. Is that a fair price?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, John. Well, as a prospective buyer, I can tell you that sellers are asking more than I am willing to pay right now. My advice is: if you don't HAVE to sell it, then don't. It is a buyers market, BIGTIME, and a lot of people are having a hard time accepting that. I'm looking for an XR600R, or an XR650R, and I'm just not willing to pay top dollar right now. Why? Because I've had to cut my price on other things I am selling myself. I'm not discounting my travel trailer, but paying full boat for somebody else' product. They have every right to ask for it, but I'm not paying it. I'm cutting bait on what I'm selling, and I'm looking to buy from a motivated person as well. I am talking to several guys right now, and we'll see what I come up with. Some are a waste of my time (asking more than a retail dealer), others really want a sale and are lowering their prices as I type. I'll let you know what I buy, and how much it cost me as I'll post the info and a picture once I'm done. Good luck.

I'd have to say he priced his bike a lot better than most people. Since I'm in the market, I'm seeing it first hand. Some real dreamers out there. There are guys trying to get $3000 for a mid 90's 600 that's basically stock. Blue book is less than $1700. I have absolutely no idea where they're coming up with their prices. I hear a lot of "I'm not in a hurry to sell" and I politely tell them "I understand, have a nice day."

This just came on the market in my area:

"REALLY NICE XR650L..... 1200 MILES..... PERFECT PAINT.... ALL ORIGINAL.......PRICE IS FIRM"

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Price is firm? That just scares away your buyer- me! I don't even call on these.

I was watching a 2008 XR650l on ebay last week...it only had a little over 600 miles on it (looked brand new) and it sold for $3650. It was on the east coast though, and I am in AZ. Didn't want to add the additional cost to fly and drive (or ship). But, it seemed like a pretty good deal for who ever the winning bid was.

I have to agree that as I have been looking at various bikes to buy (Honda XR650L and Suzuki VStrom's), there are some good deals to be had, but MOST people just aren't coming down on their price! I have made plenty of "low" offers to people, but no one wants to come down it seems. My "low" offers are pretty realistic though, at least compared to what I am seeing being sold in other parts of the country. I am not in a hurry to buy, so I am just waiting for that deal to happen.

I'm in the same camp jbobst. I'm not going to hurry and buy something. I'll find something in due time, perhaps when there's even more desperation. With winter coming up, my chances may be better. I'm not looking to scalp someone, I'm just not paying well over KBB at a time like this.

there not dreaming them, KBB is so far off usually for dirt bikes that the area more than dictates prices. KBB uses national averages for bikes and a plated xr400 in utah is a dime a doz, BUT in a state where its not legal anymore it can be worth 1k more easily. I saw a 650R frame with paperwork and plate for $1200, frame only nothing else.

I'm trying to figure out what my 08 is worth, how do you factor in all the goodies on top of a bare bones XR650L? Do you start pulling all the goodies and list them seperate?

Remainder of the Honda extended Protection plan until March 2013

5.8 gallon Acerbis tank in red

SRC fork brace

IMS wide pegs

MSR shifter

Trail Tech Vapor computer

14/48 gearing

Pro Taper SE CR high bend bars w/ Pillow top grips

Tusk universal riser

Ken Sean folding mirrors

Happy trail skid plate

Rear rack

Highway pegs(removeable)

Wind screen(removeable)

Dave's mods done

FMF Q4 silencer

Osaram brighter bulb

CRF250 front fender

Also brand new Pirelli Scorpion pro front tire & Dunlop D606 rear

Of course all the stock stuff that I removed would come with the deal.

02MAY09Big03.jpg

I am selling a CA plated 95 XR600r, and am in no rush to sell. I lowered my price to just under $2000, and still get the occasional $1200 offer. It's worth a try, but offering "$1,200 cash" when you haven't even looked at the bike is kook behavior. I mean what does someone think I was going to expect payment in?

I mean that's great that it's a buyer's market, and I think that since the price is low anyway due to the recession I am selling at a reasonable price since I am willing to take a little less on top of that. Interesting to see that it works both ways.

More power to the buyers, I know I will be looking for a deal on a little pickup, but not everybody is desperate to sell where they are willing to take peanuts.