Which bike to get Beta, Scorpa, Sherco, Montessa or Gas Gas???

Hi everyone.

I am going to get a trials bike to give it a go, I normally ride enduros my current bike is a 250EXC 2t. I would appreciate any input on the choice of bike.

I am 6'4" and weigh 200lbs, I was thinking about a GG 300 but am slightly wary of the Gassers after owning an EC250 which may as well have been made of cheese for the amount of time is spent broken.

I would like a light bike with enough power to lug me around, I have mainly ridden 2 strokes in the past so for familiarity have been considering these more.

Have been looking at bikes arout 4-5 years old as I dont want to spend a fortune on something I may not like.

Thanks in advance for any advice Dave.

For the purposes of a taster (in case you don't like it), you won't go far wrong with a Mont 315. Dead easy to ride, no real bad habits. In case you don't know, they are a 250 2 stroke bike, CR250 derived. They're not the lightest, but they're certainly screwed together properly. More than enough power to lug you around, and it'll feel light as hell compared to your exc.

Best of all, the market is good for them so you'll be able to sell the thing should you not get on with trials.

That's the advice I was given a couple of years ago, I took it and bought an '01 model. It cost me £1000 and it needed a couple of hundred spending on bearings, bushes and stuff to bring it up to scratch.

I expect it'll still fetch £750 now, which makes it a bargain in my book.

Look out for a sticking/dragging clutch, wheel bearings and rear suspension bushes/ links to be shot. This is all pretty normal stuff, don't be too alarmed. Rear shocks are rare s/h and expensive new, so be sure to check that out.

I looked at a few and it seemed to me that trials bikes in the UK didn't get a whole lot of looking after - I saw some right lemons, but the faults listed above are very common and not neccessarily a sign of neglect, just overlooked as the bike was going to be sold. That's how I saw it anyways..

I quite like the Shercos myself, and would consider a later model 290 for my next bike, however if I was buying new, I would probably jump in and buy a Gasser, they are lovely. Can't help you with Betas, don't know owt about them. Scorpa have a tie in with Yamaha and don't seem to be a bad bike, but I haven't really seen them in the numbers like I do Mont, Sherco or Gasser.

Hope that helps you - I've at least thrown Monty into the ring. Expect a few contrasting opinions to follow :busted:

I just picked up this 2004 GasGas300TxtPro, saw a picture of it online, negotiated price, and it was on our trails the next week. I never had ridden a trials bike until two years ago when my buddy got a GG300Pro, I rode his a couple times, it fit real nice! So I did not hesitate and when I was ready, grabbed a used bike which are not the easiest to come by around here but not too overly pricey. Added a bigger tank and have ordered a Hebo number plate tank for longer range.

The ad said, "excellent condition", after inspection I discovered it was true. I've put about 50 hours of ride time on it and still running like a top. I am 5' 10", 185#'s, and that bike absolutely rips! I would like to test ride all brands now that I have something to compare them to, but, that is not likely, my buddy has the same bike as me and a trials event around here is non existent.

So pick a bike you find in good condition, go for it, and ride.

P1130594.jpg

Don't discount the Beta Rev3. I really like mine, if your going to ride for fun most any of them are great. The Gas Gas Pro is the lightest of the bunch, Sherco is good too. Montesa is owned by Honda Racing so you know there is quality there. Scorpa have the Yamaha engine but are having a very rough financial time right now. If you get a Gas Gas TXT or even and older JT, JTX they are heavier built and will hold up to a beating better than the Pro model. Look for support and parts close to home.

Don't discount the Beta Rev3. I really like mine, if your going to ride for fun most any of them are great. The Gas Gas Pro is the lightest of the bunch, Sherco is good too. Montesa is owned by Honda Racing so you know there is quality there. Scorpa have the Yamaha engine but are having a very rough financial time right now. If you get a Gas Gas TXT or even and older JT, JTX they are heavier built and will hold up to a beating better than the Pro model. Look for support and parts close to home.

Scorpa has been purchased by Sherco. They say they will have 2010 model Scorpas available.

Dear Customer

We are pleased to inform you that SCORPA has been bought by Marc TEISSIER (who was creating the brand 15 years ago).

The previous plant in Alès will be definitively closed and stocks, who are currently frozen, would be available end of next week.

SCORPA will start a new business end of 2009 with a full range of bikes including TYS125F, TRide 250 and a new TRide 125, SY250 and a new SY125 powered by a SHERCO engine.

Best Regards

SCORPA

The last line seems to imply that some of the bikes will be Sherco powered.However this email came from Scorpa and not Mr Tessier.

Time will tell.

I'm guessing that the Yamaha engine won't be in them for much longer. I'd heard that Sherco was thinking about buying Scorpa but I didn't know it was a done deal. I bet eventually Scorpa will not exist. I can't see Sherco spending the money for 2 completely different makes in a market as small as trials. (Just a guess).

I have an '07 TXT 300 Pro and have been happy as can be with it.

I ride it at least a couple times a month, and often every weekend. Narry a problem so far.

I am not exactly gentle with it and have had my share of spills when trying something but it's come through each with nothing more than a scuff here and there on the plastic.

Worst damage was a bent clutch lever when it fell over in the garage :busted: Now I rarely use the side stand use a proper bike stand instead.

Guess no one is gonna stand up for beta. They really are nice bikes. Great welds, and i've been completely through my 03 and everything was put together beautifully... just one issue with how the back brake stuff is routed which causes some interesting bleeding issues, but every bike listed has something. lets see, fun on the trail, always amazing people how fast i'm going... and i'm never pushing. Though, the place I ride is... interesting. Anyway... great bike, well built, no big problems, but really you can't go wrong with these things, just try out what u can.

Guess no one is gonna stand up for beta. They really are nice bikes.
No one needs to....but your post is quite accurate.

My choice would be a late model Monty 315. Awesome bikes.Probably will go down as one of the greats(along with the EVO:ride: ).

evo really that nice? wait... no... i don't want to know, i can't even get close to affording one LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

I'd go Gas Gas or Montesa 315. Good parts supply, "lots" of used bikes in good shape. Montesa is known for rock-solid build and being a little heavier. Gas Gas lightest but sometimes durability problems, at least five years ago. Today?

You'd want a 15% heavier rear spring if you get a 02-04 Montesa (essentially identical models). The bike will be much springier and feel lighter.

Buy a cherry bike from someone who tried trials but never rode much. You'll be a happy camper. They're a blast to ride.

They all have more power than you need or can use in competition-unless you can compete nationally!

Hi everyone.

I am going to get a trials bike to give it a go, I normally ride enduros my current bike is a 250EXC 2t. I would appreciate any input on the choice of bike.

I am 6'4" and weigh 200lbs, I was thinking about a GG 300 but am slightly wary of the Gassers after owning an EC250 which may as well have been made of cheese for the amount of time is spent broken.

I would like a light bike with enough power to lug me around, I have mainly ridden 2 strokes in the past so for familiarity have been considering these more.

Have been looking at bikes arout 4-5 years old as I dont want to spend a fortune on something I may not like.

Thanks in advance for any advice Dave.

I have a 2006 scorpa SY250 „longride“. For many years now the SY250 scorpas have had Yamaha 2-stroke engines that are considered bullet proof. That goes for the rest of the bike, they are really strongly built and require very little maintenance.

I have ridden a Gasgas300 and a sherco 300, both are better “racebikes”. (meaning they have more powerful and aggressive engines, better suspension and so on)

That said I feel the scorpa is the best beginner bike of the bunch, it is very soft/mellow and user friendly. It stars easier and it is not intimidating. I started riding trilals this spring and I’m very happy with the bike.