Sign in to follow this  

Anybody been to an MX school?

I'm thinking about taking a class to improve my skills.

If you've taken a class, what did you think? Was it worth it? Did you feel you learned things you wouldn't have picked up with more practice?

Anybody with a school they'd recommend?

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'98 YZ400F

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited 04-20-2000).]

I've also been to a Tony D's class back in the day at Steel City but if you can hookup with a Gary Semic's school do so. (make sure Gary is the one teaching the class) If Gary see's you've got skills and motivation he'll hook ya up with big discounts on MX products and possibly offer you a sponsership.

Those are the only two class I've been in but there are ton's of schools out there (depending on if you want to travel to get there). I've heard bad things about Gary Baily's school.

check out www.gsmx.com for class schedule

Chris,

I have heard nothing but good things about Mike Healy and his schools. The best part is they are in the local So Ca area. I think you can get his number from www.proride.com

AirAstro

I went to the Tony D school in when it was at Glen Hellen about a month ago. It wasn't a lot of cash ~ $125. But I didn't think it was worth the time. The guys were just too unorganized and we spent too much time sitting around and talking. The school did not do a good job of coordinating with the track, so both tracks at Glen Helen were being used, which left us with the Supercross track. Total waste of time for a bunch of guys going to a school. So Tony spent a lot of time talking about nothing. Then when we got to ride, we spent way too much time in lines waiting for the next exersize. We never got to go and do full laps on the track, despite be told ahead of time we would get to ride the big track. I picked up a few things, but if you've got a friend that rides mx well and will go to the track with you for a day, you would probably get more riding time and pick up just as much. Maybe other schools are better. My opinion.

------------------

Harold

2000 WR

nick, ever ride at montrose? have some friends that have ridden there. i havn't had a chance yet. maybe we can get together some time. need to play hooky from work once in a while.

sbohanon,

Yes, I live about twenty minutes away. Its a fun track. I can send you a pamphlet on it if you want. Its $25 for all day and $10 after 4:00. Tell me when you want to go.

Nick

nick, lets set a date. like i said before, playing hooky from work would be nice. can you do that? let me know. if you could mail the pamphlet, send it to:

shawn bohanon

rr3/box 3226

sylorsburg, pa 18353

btw, i own a '99 yz400f also so maybe i can help with your jetting.

nick, don't miss school or studying for a day at the track unless you really want to. school is almost out anyway. where do you go to school? e-mail me back at: sbohanon@essexrise.com

so we don't keep this conversation going on the forum.

shawn

Hey whats goin on im Thomas Bartlett im 17 years old I race 125 and 250 PRO and I went to gary semics and it was the best thing that I have ever done to inprove my skills on and off the track. Gary will turn you into a lean mean racing machine, after I attended his school for the first time I went to the Devol Nationals and quickly pulled a 6 second lead in the first 2 and a half laps of a 20 lap moto, I felt quick and most inportant I felt confortable on my bike in a way that I never felt, I owe most all of my wins from april to Gary. Go to his school and become a WINNER,best of luck to you and your racing/riding

-Thomas bartlett-447

I'm thinking about taking a class to improve my skills.

If you've taken a class, what did you think? Was it worth it? Did you feel you learned things you wouldn't have picked up with more practice?

Anybody with a school they'd recommend?

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'98 YZ400F

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited 04-20-2000).]

I went to Gary Bailey's school a few years ago and I highly recommend it. I came back from there much better equipped. My riding buddy's all noticed an improvement and my results were much improved. Unfortunately, I tore my ACL 10 months after and haven't been the same since! That and having a young family have taken away from riding as much as I used too.

He's a real task master, but a really good coach. One note though; If you can't handle constructive criticism, don't go to his school. There were a couple guys who just wouldn't take his advice and it got ugly!

i went to the tony d school this past june at southwick , the two days following the national. they didnt groom the track at all and it was pretty rough, but i learned a lot. i did the two day session [ you can do one day or two ] and it was $300, but i learned a lot. the one day sessions are $150

Yep.

I've been to Marty Smith's clinic. Very cool. I've also learned a ton from Gary Semics' training materials. You can buy those right here! Gary Bailey is also a good one who has training materials you can buy.

Also try www.totalvid.com they have gary semics videos there which helped me alot....

Download for 3.99!!! That is a sweet deal, do you get the entire DVD or just clips?

After work I am going to give that a try either way, can't pass up the price.

On their FAQ page it said this:

» Downloading and Viewing Videos

• Where does the video go on my computer when I download the file?

After you pay for your video, you will receive instructions for downloading the video to your computer. You should save the video to a place that you will remember easily. We suggest creating a “TotalVid” folder within your My Documents folder.

I will try it tonight and let you know!