H.R. 1925 will CLOSE Moab, Utah!

I sent a message to Sen? Thompson of California who is a co author to this bill and got a reply that basically thanked me for my concern about our "wilderness" but I'm certain our replys don't mean much.So be it. It would be cool if around election time this site could post some of these "representatives" stands on off road issues.I will be paying alot more attention than I ever have.

Here is a video of the hearing.

http://resources.edgeboss.net/wmedia...0_01_parks.wvx

This is a very interesting video, take a few minutes to watch it.

The author of the bill Congressman Maurice Hinchey is a disgusting man. His points of view are prehistoric and do so much disservice to protect the lands he fantasizes of protecting. For the last 20 years he has been the mouth piece for eco-freaks and special interest groups. How can anyone be so stupid and corrupt as Maurice Hinchey.

H.R. 1925 will be defeated again as it has been for the last 20 years and hopefully for the last time. But keep sending your emails and letters of opposition. Or better yet, call a few of our representatives.

http://resources.edgeboss.net/wmedia/resources/2009_10_01_parks.wvx

BLM withholds support for Utah wilderness bill

By Lee Davidson

Deseret News

Published: Thursday, Oct. 1, 2009 2:10 p.m. MDT

The Obama administration withheld support Thursday for a bill that would designate one-sixth of all Utah land as wilderness, saying instead that it seeks to break a 20-year-old logjam on the issue by working out conflicts on an area-by-area basis through smaller bills.

"We'd like an opportunity to go back and revisit each of these areas that are being proposed for designation and work (for) … more manageable boundaries and to address some conflicts that exist in some of these areas," U.S. Bureau of Land Management Director Robert Abbey told a House hearing.

But the administration didn't exactly oppose the bill either, and praised it goals. As Abbey also testified, "We believe there are areas in Utah worthy of wilderness designation. He listed several including Desolation Canyon, Grand Gulch, parts of the San Rafael Swell, and the Deep Creek Mountains.

In fact, he said the BLM through the years has identified 6.6 million acres with some "wilderness characteristics" that merit further study. But the "America's Red Rock Wilderness" bill by Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-N.Y., which has been pushed in various forms for 20 years, now proposes designating 9.4 million acres.

Abbey said the best way to finally pass something and resolve conflicts is to address them in a county-by-county or landscape-by-landscape process in smaller bill, as was done recently in a bill just about Washington County.

"We hope this (Washington County) model can be extended to the rest of Utah, and we suggest an approach that is more geographically focused. We would welcome the opportunity to work cooperatively … to address and hopefully resolve wilderness issues in Utah," Abbey said.

Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, and Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, both sponsors of the Washington County bill, made the same suggestion. They said their approach looked not only at wilderness, but also how to best protect land through conservation areas, expanding national park boundaries, and wild and scenic river designations, among other options.

Bennett said Hinchey's bill "does not represent progress, but rather the entrenchment of a small cross-section of interest groups who refuse to acknowledge there is a better way."

Matheson said, "If we want to make progress, a collaborative process that engages all of the stakeholders needs to occur."

Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, the ranking Republican on the House Natural Resources subcommittee that held the hearing, said virtually all parties on all sides agree some more areas in Utah merit wilderness designation, but Hinchey's bill "far, far overreaches."

To demonstrate, he showed pictures of roads, oil derricks and mines in areas proposed in the bill for wilderness, even though Bishop noted wilderness is supposed to be untrammeled by man.

Abbey also noted in testimony, "Some of the proposed wilderness areas include existing (oil and natural gas) leases some of which are currently producing, and others that we expect will produce in the future."

Hinchey countered by showing pictures of scenic red rock country he says now has no protection, and is being damaged by off-road vehicles and other threats. He said trying to work out wilderness through small bills will take too long, and said more wilderness will actually help Utah's economy by increasing tourism.

While many Utah officials say it will tie up too much land and hurt the oil industry, Hinchey said, "The land that we're planning to designate holds less than a few days worth of oil, and a few weeks worth of gas …. What is there is less than 1 percent of the nation's oil reserve and less than 2 percent of the nation's gas reserves."

Opposing the bill at the hearing, either in person or by letter, were all five members of Utah's congressional delegation, Gov. Gary Herbert, Lt. Gov. Greg Bell, leaders of the Utah Legislature, commissioners from all 16 counties that have acreage proposed for wilderness, Utah education officials (who say it will hurt school trust lands), the oil industry, ranchers, and off-road vehicle manufacturers.

Among those praising the wilderness in person or by letter bill were former Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson, current Mayor Ralph Becker, former GOP legislator Bryson Garbett, actor Robert Redford (by letter), environmental groups, manufacturers of camping and outdoor equipment, and several religious groups.

Carbon County Commissioner John Jones said the big wilderness bill "would put the nail in the coffin of rural counties," by not allowing development of minerals or by closing off access to lands used for grazing.

Anderson, however, said recent polls show a majority of Utahns favor creating more than 9 million acres of wilderness. He said, "Utah's red rock wilderness is a gift we should not squander. Please embrace this far-sighted opportunity, in service to the world and to later generations, without any further delay."

e-mail: lee@desnews.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

© 2009 Deseret News Publishing Company | All rights reserved

Breath of fresh air from Congressman McClintock of the 4th district of California. Tom holds phone town halls very frequently and answers questions honestly. God bless you!

Dear John,

Thank you for writing regarding H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

It speaks volumes that this bill - which would make more than 9 million acres of land largely off-limits to the American people - is not supported by any federal elected official from Utah. It is unfathomable that Congress would designate one-sixth of Utah as wilderness land without consultation or support from the representatives of the people of Utah.

I firmly believe that preventing public use of public lands is an inherent contradiction. I will continue to work to ensure that our nation's public lands are well-maintained and available for the enjoyment and use of generations to come.

Thanks again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to do so in the future.

Sincerely,

Tom

Sent a letter, and got a response from my local representative. Doesn't surprise me :bonk:. If i remember right, once an area is designated as wilderness that means no human activity can occur there?

Dear Mr. Garza:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009, H.R. 1925. I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with me, and I apologize for the delay in my response.

I believe that we need to preserve our wilderness areas for future generations to enjoy as well. Public lands, when appropriate, are designated as wilderness areas to protect them. As you know, H.R. 1925, which I have co-sponsored, would designate certain parts of the red rock canyons of the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin Deserts in Utah as wilderness. These wilderness areas would still be available to the public to enjoy, but intense and potentially destructive activities, such as the use of motorized vehicles, would not be allowed. The bill has been referred to the House Natural Resources Committee.

Again, thanks for being in touch.

Sincerely

Zoe Lofgren

Member of Congress

Breath of fresh air from Congressman McClintock of the 4th district of California. Tom holds phone town halls very frequently and answers questions honestly. God bless you!

Dear John,

Thank you for writing regarding H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

It speaks volumes that this bill - which would make more than 9 million acres of land largely off-limits to the American people - is not supported by any federal elected official from Utah. It is unfathomable that Congress would designate one-sixth of Utah as wilderness land without consultation or support from the representatives of the people of Utah.

I firmly believe that preventing public use of public lands is an inherent contradiction. I will continue to work to ensure that our nation's public lands are well-maintained and available for the enjoyment and use of generations to come.

Thanks again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to do so in the future.

Sincerely,

Tom

I've always liked Tom McClintock.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I got from my rep. Disguisting.

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views regarding America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. As your Representative, I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

As you know my colleague, Rep. Maurice Hinchey, introduced America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009 (H.R. 1925) which would designate specific lands in Utah as Wilderness Areas.

Like you, I strongly value the ability to explore the natural expanses of land across our country. Off-highway vehicles allow families, such as yours, to access large swaths of untouched land and enjoy its natural beauty. Nevertheless, the most responsible operation of off-highway vehicles can still cause environmental threats such as habitat destruction and noise pollution.

As you know, Wilderness Area designation is reserved for our country's most untouched lands so that they may be preserved and enjoyed by future generations. Specifically, land expanses are designated as Wilderness Areas for their size; relatively unnoticeable human presence; opportunity for primitive and unconfined recreational activities like camping, hiking, and skiing; opportunities for solitude; and for containing features of ecological, geological, scientific, educational, scenic, or historical significance. In addition to prohibiting motorized recreational vehicles, Wilderness designation prohibits mining and drilling for oil and gas. I am a cosponsor of this legislation because I believe these lands are some of our country's most pristine and should be preserved for posterity and protected from mining exploitation.

Currently this legislation has been referred the House Committee on Natural Resources, on which I serve. As this bill moves through the legislative process and amendments are considered, I will certainly keep your thoughts and wishes in mind. Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

LOIS CAPPS

Member of Congress