starts and idles fine give it gas it dies

hi everyone

i need help i have a 2003 drz400s it idles fine starts ezay but if u rev it it will rev fine 1 time then the 2 time u rev it it cuts out and dies like its getting no fuel but i striped carb soaked it for days. and its doing the same thing no change . the bike only has 4000miles .and was stored for years before i got it . carb is getting fuel . i set float level did every thing i can think of. pleas help

whats your pilot fuel screw set at? Its odd that it dies with the choke. What was the story behind the bike. why was it parked?

If its bone stock and the jetting was never messed with the pilot fuel screw(bottom of the carb towards engine) will have a brass plug in it that needs to be removed. It still wouldnt make sense that the choke is killing it though.

stock mikuni carb? did you take the top off the carb? if so, did you get the spring in straight? the one that holds the slide down. vaccum pulls it up as rpm's rise. if the slide is stuck, it will idle fine till you give it gas than it dies (leans out).

no clue y it was parked .

air fuel screw is set at 2 1/2 .i removed the plug to get to it to strip the carb to clean it . and the slide is free no holes in the diaphragm.

it will not start on choke.and as sone as its pulled it dies rite out .

i have done more then my fair share of carbs in my day but i just dont get this bike :busted:

thank you all hope we can get to the bottom of this

If the choke kills it, I'm guessing it's rich. It starts without the choke nad not with...Look at the seal aroudn the choke shaft.

look at the pilot jet.

I'm not sure, is there a plug in the hole where the pilot jet goes so it gets fuel from the main and not from the float bowl dirrectly? if so it could be leaking.

fix it woooohooooo.

turns out i figure that the bike had a pipe on it or something .toke the carb out to look at jet size it had a 162 not a 142 .put a 142 in she runs just fine now. dam eyes r getting old on me. :busted:

thank u all !!!!!!