Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

clc3251

Finished my kickstarter mod along with a bunch of other mods.  Back in 2015 I was on a Central America trip on my XRL.  I camped for the night but forgot and left several GoPros plugged into the 12volt port all night.  In the morning my battery didn't have enough to turn the bike over, just clicked.  I got it started after pushing the pig for about 200 yards to get it off the beach and onto some hard pack to push start it.  That is when I told myself I would do this mod.  I might never use it but it is comforting to have has a back up.  And a big thanks to CLC3251 for the step by step process, it was very helpful.

20170923_1751071_zps35i3jjns.jpg

Edited by baldy110
  • Like 4

I'm glad it was helpful.  Hard to believe I started this thread over 8 years ago.  I still have the bike.  No plans to ever get rid of it.  I have other bikes, but the XR650L with the kickstart conversion is just about perfect for me as a an all around dual sport.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Appreciate the reply

But the Xr600r covers are all getting battered.

Ideally I’d like a brand new cover modified to fit the 600r
If you figure something out, let us know. Everything needs to go back to the bolt pattern to line up correctly.

I can't recall, but was there another internal machined feature that was different?

4 hours ago, rmhrc630 said:

Does anyone know the process for drilling out the 650l case and installing the 600r bearing and seal?

Any help would be appreciated

The process is simple but requires more than just a drill.  You'll need a bore for the shaft and a bore for the seal.  The location and concentricity is pretty critical for good operation and no leaks. 

You'll also need to add the idler gear retainer stud to the L cover.  And the 600R countershaft to the engine of course.

For a machinist it would be an easy job.  They would only need a couple center to center measurements, a couple face measurements, and two diameters and they could machine it pretty quickly.  The easiest way would be for them to have 600R cover to measure and duplicate.  The measurements could be done from the L engine with the kicker stuff installed but would be more difficult and probably less accurate.

Edited by Hollerhead
  • Like 1

The process is simple but requires more than just a drill.  You'll need a bore for the shaft and a bore for the seal.  The location and concentricity is pretty critical for good operation and no leaks. 
For a machinist it would be an easy job.  They would only need a couple center to center measurements and two diameters and they could machine it pretty quickly.  The easiest way would be for them to have 600R cover to measure and duplicate.  The measurements could be done from the L engine with the kicker stuff installed but would be more difficult and probably less accurate.

Lucky I have some 600 clutch covers with me.

I've done this. Having accumulated a bunch of XR650l clutch covers from all of the XR600 kicker conversions I'v done over the years. I took an OE XR600 clutch cover, bearing and seal along with eight or ten XRL covers to my machinist and he did the work. I'm down to just a few covers. I need to send Mike at Engine Dynamics a batch of XRL covers to convert.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. I have a XR650l . Had xr's only do a lot of work to it. High compression piston , cam, port & polish, kickstart conversion. Ever since I got the work done, I had a problem with the electric starting engagement. It just doesn't catch the gears. Then the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel on came loose & chewed up the stator. So I fixed it myself. Now it's making a sound from the bottom end like something is bouncing around or a gear is trying to catch on something. WTF !!!

If anyone has any idea what is going on with my bike, I'm all ears . When it runs. It really rips. But I'm afraid to take it out for fear of getting stranded.

You're likely to get more thoughts here:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://advrider.com/f/threads/xrl-owners-sign-in.114834/&share_tid=114834&share_fid=14159&share_type=t

But my 2 cents, it needs torn down to investigate. It sounds like there were already problems if you had the flywheel bolts back out. Either dig into it yourself, send it back, or send it to mcma111 (aka Steve).
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, it's hard to believe it's been 10 years since I posted this.  Time flies!  I still have the bike and love it.  It's a keeper that will most likely get an antique plate here in PA in the next couple years.  Vehicles over 25 years old are eligible for antique plates which is a permanent registration and no annual safety inspection.  To celebrate the 10 year anniversary, I would love to see your bikes that you have performed the kickstart mod on.  Some people have posted them but let's see them again and let's see  the rest!  Thank you for the forum and the wealth of knowledge that this forum provides.  

• Like 2