Sign in to follow this  

Oil in coolant ktm 640 ADV ??

Hi Guys

Please help , I have strange situation - OIL in radiator ??? about 24 000 miles on ktm 640 adv '05 and quite a bit not just one or two drops

I have No overheating problem and NO coolant in engine oil

STRANGE ???

How is this possible and what could be causing it ???

Engine has never been opened

Thanks for replying

Gerhard

Hi Island Hopper

JIP also thought waterpump, thanks for the thread (ABSOLUTELY GREAT ONE)

But I am still baffled at why OIL in the coolant and NOT coolant in the oil ??

Is there maybe another spot in the LC4 engine that oil could get into the coolant ????

I do not think I have a blown head gasket or cracked head -- PLEASE NOT -- I have no overheating problems ??

THX

For a cracked head I guess it depends on where the crack is as to oil entry... If it's under the lobe pool or somewhere that oil sits I could see entry into the coolant chambers....

I have had a cracked head on my 640 around the valve seats and the coolant weeped into the combustion chamber.... The only indications was a bit of steam in the exhaust stream and the temp guage reading 1 bar higher because of lowered rad levels .... The oil stayed clean as the same for the coolant....

I am off to my KTM "stealers" tomorrow :-((

See what they say. I just want more info before getting them working on my bike, they tend not to share the same budget limits I have.

I just do not know what to tell them where to start ???

Gerhard,

Still have the 640?  Do you (or anyone else) remember what the solution was to your oil in the radiator issue was?

I just purchased a used 2003 640 Adventure.  I was told that it was hard to cold start and that a little oil seeped into the airbox when it is driven over 55mph.  It has 20,000miles so I figured it would need a little TLC and might need carb or valve work to address the cold start.  I was not overly concerned about the previous owner saying the a "little oil" weeps into the airbox because I have seen guys overfill the oil in the past causing this issue.

Once I got it home and gave it a good once-over, I found the oil sitting halfway between the marks on the sight glass and appearing clean. (without any water in it)

The radiator, however, was full of oil/water mix.  I thought head gasket and then found the thread about the water pump seals.  It appears everyone with a seal issue has water in the oil, not oil in the water.

I asked previous owner who claims he never looked in the radiator in 2 years so he had no idea.  (and I was taking his word on the issues and didn't spend the time to look it over well when I purchased so partially my fault to trust him)

It also spews a lot of oil into the airbox, more that just mist.

I understand engines but I'm new to the LC4.

Thanks for any help.

Jake