Sign in to follow this  

Help A New Girl Out??

I'm a 16 year old girl, and I have fallen in love with dirtbiking. I really, really want to get into dirtbiking, but I have no clue where to start or anything about it. I am a complete daredevil and I love doing things that get your adrenaline going, and this seems to be like a pretty good adrenaline rush sport.

I am super interested on learning more on Endurocross and Motocross. My goal is to race one day, but I know I am starting pretty late as far as my age goes, so any tips to help me get good in a reasonable amount of time?? My Mom supports me 100% on wanting to get into this, but she wants me to do as much research as possible on it before she lets me loose. And by research she means, me knowing every aspect of what goes on with this frikken awesome sport. :busted: .

I know that there are bunch of different brands and sizes of bikes. What kind of bike(s) would you suggest for a 5'7, 120 pound, slim framed girl?? Do any of the companies make PINK bikes, or would I have to get decals to Barbie up my ride?? Hah.

Also, any tips on how to handle being a girl in a mainly guy dominated sport???

So if you have any information you can give me on anything that would be great. . I have no clue what I'm getting myself into except for the fact that it's loud, fast, and dangerous, and that's perfect for me.

Thanks ahead of time.!

I saw your post in the general forum and all of those bikes that were suggested are good options.

just make sure you have someone who is willing to take on the responsability

to help you maintaine whatever model you decide on, some need a lot more time and money to keep running. the honda 150r will go thru money much faster than the 150f.

no matter what you end up with you will have a lot of fun.:busted:

id say you def be good with a 150. thats what i started out on and it was really low maintence, and light so the fun factor was huge.

haha as for the pink plastics im pretty sure youll need aftermarket plastics as no bikes i know come with pink plastics..

good luck and let me know if theres anything else youre curious about.

i started when i was 17, haha. your not alone.

you can find people to make custom graphics for your bike, and make them any color you want. i had pink graphics made for my bike, and i am going to have pink and black wheels made and such...alot of girls hate being girly, but i LOVE it, lol.

if your 5'7, IMO your too big for a 150, even if it has a tall seat. I would reccomend a 125.

First thing i would suggest is to invest in some good gear. Main things are a helmet, goggles, boots, chest protector, riding pants and jersey, then i would go for some elbow and knee guards. There are companies out there that make womens specific fits. Have you ever riden before? It is best to go to the dealers sometimes and set on the bikes and see what fits best for you. I started out on a kx100, but some people don't like the 2 strokes. I do because they are so much lighter. You should also look into the crf150 like everyone else said. Good luck and happy riding! :busted::banana:

• Like 1

at least ride a 2 stroke before you decide. get gear first. go to bikebadit.com and look in the closeout section, there are some crazy deals

I love my 150. I had a 2 stroke before that but for me mixin gas was a pain in the ass (haha kiwi that could be my sig :banana: ). I like the tractor power of the 4 stroke, don't get me wrong 2 strokes are fun but do take more to ride imo. Yes you can get PINK for your bike, I plan on getting some black plastics for my bike and then putting my "damzl" stickers on the rad shrouds.

good luck getting started :busted:

i started when i was 17, haha. your not alone.

you can find people to make custom graphics for your bike, and make them any color you want. i had pink graphics made for my bike, and i am going to have pink and black wheels made and such...alot of girls hate being girly, but i LOVE it, lol.

if your 5'7, IMO your too big for a 150, even if it has a tall seat. I would reccomend a 125.

DANG!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :busted: u did start late hahah :busted::D jk :banana:

i've been riding for 8 years now :busted::banana::busted:

ehh you havent started too late...im 23 and just started 2 years ago....

Never too old, I started at 34 and I made it!

KDawg, I replied to your other thread, didn't see this one first.

To learn to ride I would go with a ttr125, crf150f, drz125 or klx125 (basically all the same bike, just different brands) Any brand is "good" people just have their prefrences, alas I like Yamaha the best. Do you have someone who knows how to ride at all? Or someone who has experince shifting? If not and your on your own, its going to be difficult to learn. But from personal experience I wouldnt buy a bike that isnt manual (no clutch) its important to learn that while you are learning to ride.

I wouldnt jump into racing too fast, you got to learn to ride first, which isnt really as easy as it looks, or sounds. Its something you have to do by trail and error, no matter how many times I watch RC (Ricky Carmichael) I cant mimmick him...Same with Pastrana...no backflips for me...

Most people, like myself just like dirtbikes to ride for fun, I never got into the racing scene...maybe one day I will, but I really just have fun going for a ride.

Awesome that your mom supports you, and for reserach you came to the right place. Just listen to what these people are saying and make a decision on that and your own perspective.

Mechanics are very important too. If you have someone who knows how to do this type of stuff for you thats great but unless you have ooddles of money, taking your bike to the mech all the time for maintaince is going to cost more than your moms car...not kidding. Learn the basics yourself, you can probably find that info here, google it, or look through dirtbike mags to figure that stuff out (oil, filters, fluids, sparkplugs etc...) what to do and what not to do to your bike (WD-40 and washing your bike)

PS like I said before, unless you have oodles of $$ lying around, buy a cheap used bike. I know you can get a ttr for around 700-1000. Or if you know someone practice on theirs. Because if you dont like it, you wont be out as much money. Oh and I havent read the post so sorry if this info is doubled, but I would assume since you hinted you wanted to race that 85s and 150Rs are being thrown out there. Just so you know race bikes are TOTALLY different to ride than the four stroke trail bikes that I have suggested. Way more peppy, and harder to ride (for learners that is, with the whole clutch/gas learning thing)

Good luck anyway...if you love it as much as we do you'll be forever enslaved to two wheels.

Just as an extra...

If it was me in your shoes...I would learn on the trail bike, sell it and get a 85 and then keep working my way up to the big bikes, at 5 7 you would be big enough for a 125 smoker, but at the experience level it can be difficult. Amature racers have a hard time moving from the 85 to 125cc class because it is harder to move on and control for lack of better words.

It all takes time. I started riding when I was 8, but I still suck at it...

=) Happy Riding!

Hey KDawg13! Where in MI are you?

It's never too late to start riding. It sure helps when you've got someone to help you and show you the ropes of the sport.

You said on the other thread you had experience riding quads with a clutch... IMO, that will go a long way in advancing your basic dirt bike riding skills, but how much experience have you actually had? Do you own a quad now? Are you comfortable with a clutch? What kind of riding have you done on the quads? How does your skill level and aggressiveness riding quads compare with other, more experienced riders?

Do you get frustrated and scared off easily, or do you tend to enjoy more difficult challenges?

What is more accessible for you to ride, track or trail? Do you have a way to haul it? Do you have anyone to ride with? Is anyone going to help teach you?

How long is your inseam? Go to a dealership and SIT on them, how do you feel being tippy-toes? Or do you feel more comfortable being flat footed?

These are some things to consider when you decide what kind of bike, four stroke or the more challenging (but NOT impossible) two stroke, track bike or trail bike...

If you really want to get into racing, you still have time to check out some of the local races. Check this schedule and plan on getting there next weekend.

http://www.ama-d14.org/index.php

No matter what you really need to get to a race and check it out that way you will at least have a clue as to what you are getting into. If there isn't an MX race in your area then check out a Hare Scramble, I prefer those anyways.

If you do not have a bike yet then based on your height, get a nice used 125 2 stroke. They are cheap, fast and do not cost a lot to maintain. And even a 10 year old 125 will be plenty fast for any first year racer.

But really, before you buy anything go to the races and see what it's all about. Maybe even after the races have started, go to the rider sign up office and sign up for your AMA membership and your District 14 membership as both are required to race in Michigan. While you are there, check out the classes, and figure out which ones you would want to maybe race in. Watch them on the track and then talk to some of the riders after the race.

Maybe even check out the home town that those racers are from, you might end up finding a new lady riding buddy that's from your home town already doing what you are wanting to do!

o shut up missy i dont live in dirtbike central unlike you so ha! :busted:

ok ok........ I'll take that as an excuse :banana: :banana: :busted:

Given my experience with my daughter who is of similar size to yourself, I would suggest a new or used Kawasaki KX100 2-stroke as the perfect bike to start out with. It may have a little more learning curve than one of the electric start auto clutched 4 strokes, but will allow more room to grow into for just about anything you would want to do with it (trail riding, off road racing, mx, and so on) before running out of engine or suspension like you would on the 4-stroke playbikes. Proper gear is essential, she not allowed to ride w/o helmet, googles, gloves, boots, knee and elbow pads, and chest protector.

My daughter started off when she was 8 on a klx110, which she now dwarfs. For several years she wasn't strong enough to pick it up off the ground or kick start it. She is now 5'7 and maybe a little over 100 lbs and will be 13 next month. The klx 110 was good to learn on with its auto clutch and low seat. But is is quit heavy with short supension travel and poor ground clearance. Her current ride is a 1983 KX80 that I picked up for 300$. It is almost looking a little small for her. Our current riding area is nearly all tight, steep, narly single track. There are some flat areas but you go to go up some big steep hills to get up to them and have to come back down from them. The 110 was nice for not having to worry about the clutch on the steep up hills but with its small wheels and low ground clearance it just had issues on getting over the logs and roots and ruts where we ride. She likes the larger wheels and longer suspension travel of the KX80. She initially didn't like the 80 because of the noise, fixed by some properly sized ear plugs, and having to remember to use the clutch lever when coming to a stop. And she didn't like the 2 stroke hit. This thing was like a light switch, when it hit the power band, the front just came up off the ground even with me on it (6'2 250+) I restricted the exhaust header with a drilled washer to lesson the hit and and she has become used to it and is happy with it. I will put a fly wheel weight on it sometime this winter. All the modern 2-stokes are power valved and have broader power bands that the older ones. The kx 80 is 25 lbs lighter than the klx110, which she really like when having to pick the bike up. Her interest is entirely in trail riding. But I digress back to your questions directly.

My daughter and I have been hitting the shops and sizing out the new bikes for a new one for the upcoming spring riding season. We had intially been thinking a 4 stroke and checked out all the 125 4 strokes and especially the KLX140. What we found size wise was that the L versions of the 125 4-strokes with the 19 and 16 inch wheels instead of the 17/14 inch wheels was esential. The KLX140 fit well with its 19/16 wheels and bigger frame than the 125's. We also looked at the new kx85's. The we hit on the KX100 which also has 19 and 16 inch wheels like the KLX140 but is is 50 pounds lighter. They are the same price brand new (~3500$), but used kx100's can be easily had in the 1500$ range as they haven't changed much since 2001.

The kx100 has much better suspension and a higher seat height, but once your on it there is more suspension sag so its not any harder to reach the ground when stopped. The KLX140 has electric start but 2-strokes are pretty easy to kick. She has no problems starting the kx80, but hasn't been able to kick start the klx110 well until this last year. So after some further research into the bikes, we decided that the the kx100 is the perfect next bike. The motor is set up to be more trail/beginner friendly than some other small 2-stroke mx engines.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18aug01kawasakikx100.html

Specifically, She loves the black of the 2009 monster energy version.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-details-features.aspx?autoplay=false&id=336&scid=0

Then, her first ride when she was 8

katieandKLX1024x768.jpg

now. This was a couple of days ago and it was cold, the chest protector and elbow pads are under the jacket.

katiekx80.jpg

Edited by Terryth

Hey your never to old to learn. Rode quads all my life, now at 39 bought my first dirt bike. You will not be regretting getting a bike. Getting the gear is very important. Just find someone that can teach you and show you what you are doing wrong. Just have fun.