Sign in to follow this  

Can the electrics handle heated grips?

Will I be able to run heated grips now and then on my Z...and will it not affect the charging system?

Tx:ride:

Yep, no prob. I love having 'em for the winter wheelie months!

I have heated grips on the Z and love them! I installed a relay so that the grips can only draw from the battery when the ignition is turned on so that I don't leave the grip on and kill the battery when I park it.

S

Yes you can

I run them on mine, with a 130/90W bulb on all the time during the winter months and the charging system keeps up no problem (even with a 5 year old battery)

I have heated grips on the Z and love them! I installed a relay so that the grips can only draw from the battery when the ignition is turned on so that I don't leave the grip on and kill the battery when I park it.

S

Just splice the +ve wire ofr the heated grips into a switched live ( I used the main feed off the ignition switch) - this way it switches of the grips when you turn the bike off

Im going to go for a set of Oxford Hot hands...

For the only reason that they are wrap around so you can remove them at will.... I hate have big fat heated grips during the summer months and hate having to butcher grips swapping them over all the time.

Once on, most heated grips don't like coming off EVER !

Big fat grips? What do you use? Heating elements are a thin plastic membrane with a thin copper element inside.. They might add 0.50mm to the diameter of a grip… or if you wrap them with tape to insulate they might add 1.5mm in diameter.

Are you using road bike or snowmobile grips?

Those things are terrible for dirt bike use.

For the only reason that they are wrap around so you can remove them at will.... I hate have big fat heated grips during the summer months and hate having to butcher grips swapping them over all the time.

The Hot Hands do make the grips big & Fat I'm afraid as they wrap around your existing grips

I don;t have a problem with them - after a week you just get used to it and don't notice them

The grips feel too small when you take them off again in spring