Sign in to follow this  

The New Suzuki Dr350 X / Rmz 250 Convesion Hybrid !

SO i just woundered what you guys think of my idea of a modern aircooled enduro with a tough reliable and grunty motor in a light weight chassis with modern suspension ,brakes and looks. You see i do a lot of enduro,s for fun and while i have owned many modern enduro and motocross bikes { crf 250 450 ktm 450 rmz 450 and so on] i have found that doing these events on a regular bassis wears them out pretty quick even with good maintenance. but the one bike i have owneed for many years and is my trusty old 1994 dr350 s i have stripped all the road gear and anything that is not needed and fitted and done a light bit of tunning and this makes for a very fun and capablr bike i can ride the wheels of this old bike and do so every time i get on it i nail the poor old bike as hard as i can and it just enjoys every moment you cant hert it and i have been doing so with this bike for a few years now and have never had to do any major work on her atall I have taken it to some of the enduro events and suprised many a young gun on his modern enduro or crosser when ive not only kept up but passed a good number aswell. sO I dreemed up this creation the dr350X basicaly the idea is to take a steel framed rmz 250 fourstroke chassis and introduce it with a dr350 engine .the idea is to make a capable fun reliable simple enduro that will last. i also like the idea of fitting the 350 engine with a 385 big bore kit . so anyway let me know what you think and if i should go for it or not

have fun muddy.

dr350rmz.jpg

please post pics as soon as you get it figured out. Im a newbie here but I am using a 1992 dr350 for xc events and need some better suspension to be competitive against the orange bikes.

build it man ! i got the urge to build my dream bike last winter, i put my 03 gasgas300 motor in an 01 cr250 chassis and wrapped it in 07cr body work. Theres nothing like the feeling of riding something you built.

thanx for the incuragement i would realy like to do this i have reasonable experience with fabrication and the tools to do the job but i need time and a little bit of money first and also i have other projects in mind like my two wheel drive 2trac crf450 enduro i already have the ohlins two wheel drive system stand by for the photo chop of this dream in the near futer but lets just stick to the dr project for now. one of my main intentions with the DR350X is too save weight you see the dr chassis is a great handeling bike in most aplications and does every thing well but the one thing you cant get away from is the weight when riding with crf,s and husky,s . so this is where i could do with some help i need to find out the weight of a kickstart only dr350 engine and the weight of a rmz250 engine to see the weight difference then i can add the extra weight of the dr engine to the overall weight of a rmz 250 and caculate my aprox final weight to see if there is going to be enough of a weight saving to be worth while if not then i might aswell just develope the dr.

..............................have fun muddy !............................

IMGA0437.jpg

If I remember correctly BBR did a conversion about 8-10 years ago where they took an xr250 motor and put it in a cr250 chasis. I always thought that would have been a die hard bike to ride for offroad and think your definitly on to somthing here. Let us know how it turns out.

great idea, but u should a 07+ rmz 250 chassis because it an aliminuim frame adn much more advanced

great idea, but u should a 07+ rmz 250 chassis because it an aliminuim frame adn much more advanced

I think he wants to use the steel frame becuase it would be so much easier to frabricate motor mounts and such, at least thats what I would use. I once put a 78 XL175 engine in a 79 RM125 chassis, wish I still had at least a pic of it. At this point in time a steel RMZ or KXF (identicle) should be able to be found for a song since the engines have all got to be toast by know.

a bored out drz 250 isnt a bad idea but i wanted to go for something a bit different than a devoloping an existing trail bike plus the dr350 is very close to my heart it amazes me how much fun it is and how it can be so reliable even when i use it so hard and we never got the drz250 here in the uk. and yes i chose the rmz 250 steel frame because one it is inkeeping with suzuki thus making it a suzuki hybrid not a bitsa, and secondly because the steel fram is a lot more workable in terms of modification i think i would end up making a new bottom frame cradle because the dr engine will be a tight sqeese in terms of hight. but what i need help with is can anybody tell me the weight of an none electric start dr350 motor and an rmz 250 motor? so i can calculate the final weight thanx

.................................have fun muddy ............................

Doug Johns of the old Finish Line Racing company did the XR250 into a CR 125chassis not BBR and it was in Dirt Rider magazine. Nice conversion and he said that it weighed 3 lbs heavier than an '88 CR250 when he was done. Of course, he had a custom expensive aluminum gas tank made up for it and a few other trick parts. The CR250 motor was 45 lbs. and the XR250 was 70 lbs.. This article was in the Jan. 1989 issue of Dirt Rider. He used an '85 twin carbed XR250 engine.

The kickstart DR350 engine should be around 85 lbs. The DR350 had all the basic engine specs of the early Honda XL350 from the mid '70s. There were and probably are still some 440cc big bore piston kits out there. Thumper Racing in Texas had some of them and did a lot of work with the DR engines.

Good Luck it should be a lot of fun when you are done. Probably around the 250-260 lb area depending on the parts that you use.

Swiss

yer i remember seeing that xr cr job also some one done a yam wr chassis with a dr350 motor but i think the rmz chassis will be lighter and its in keeing with suzuki. in terms of big bore i was gonna go the more sensible rout of a 385 big bore its gives good increase in power low to midrange and dosent change the charator of the already great performing lump it just enhanses it. so if anyone out there nows were i can get a 385 kit for my dr please let me know. thanx

...................................muddy rascal ! .........................

I have a big bore DRZ250 and love it... but I have owned an XR and TT350 and love that capacity. And as you said most of the weight is in the frame and running gear on "trail" bikes so shoehorning a DR350 into a MX frame should be a good scenario.

For your BB kits this would be your best bet, have both 385 and 440 kits http://kustom-kraft.com/SUZUKIKITS.html

this guy nows a lot about DR350s and has a 440 kit http://www.kientech.com/DR350ProdList.htm

her is a 435 kit closer to home for you http://www.xrstuff.co.uk/bigbore.htm#DR350%20KIT

these guys have your 385 kit http://www.procycle.us/bigbore/bigbore.htm

and another 440 kit http://www.thumper-racing.net/my_ride.php?b=DR350&tb=0

sounds cool to me. it will prompt conversations with the mike minded people, if nothing else.

let the crowd who thinks putting a new graphics kit, or clutch lever on their bike think they're doing something special. they will say 'why', I say why not!!!

Post Pics!!!

Not trying to throw cold water on your idea, but why wouldn't you just get a DRZ 400?

Less "tip- in" weight and a much better suspension package

Okay, I'll bite, what is "tip-in" weight? I'm guessing you are hinkering for a project? Seems like the suspension could be upgraded to pro levels for not too much money. Why not put the 400 engine into your creation?

Expanding on something already mentioned, I would think that MX rolling chassis only a few years old will be in plentiful supply as the motors are often uneconomic to repair. Could be a good industry...

A “trail” motor in a cutting edge chassis could be a fantastic bike.

Okay, I'll bite, what is "tip-in" weight? I'm guessing you are hinkering for a project? Seems like the suspension could be upgraded to pro levels for not too much money. Why not put the 400 engine into your creation?

There is a fair bit of physics involved in this......

The way i look at tip in weight, is basically how top heavy the bike feels. A combination of how top heavy it actually is, combined with those mystical "gyroscopic" forces everyone says makes bigger bike harder to flick around.

You most notice this when going from leaning one way to leaning the bike the other way.

A DRZ400 with radiators, water cooling and general design is a lot more top heavy than the DR350 and 250 air cooled motors.

I also think the heavier flywheels and (probably) heavier older gearboxes in the air-cooleds make their centre of gravity and gyroscpoic mass lower.