Sign in to follow this  

Ceramic bearings?

Good? Bad? I am looking for some info on them. I am am planing on rebuilding my bottom end and was thinking about using them for the crank main bearings. I know they work better. Run cooler and smoother. Will they last longer in this application or last as long as OEM? Is the cost worth it?

I have heard some good things about ceramic bearings in fact I way playing around with the idea of doing the entire engine but the price is too restrictive. They cost major bucks and unless you keep the bike for a long time just not worth the money unless you have an enless supply.

I looked into these when I was rebuilding my engine. I couldn't find any main bearing crosses which is what I was mostly interested in replacing. Some of the other tranny bearings and whatnot could be replaced with ceramics though. If you find some main bearing ceramic crosses please post back with the source as I'd use them next time around for sure.

There are many grades of bearings etc...

Jesse Williams actually makes his own bearings and assembles them himself (that means he gathers the races...performs a superfinish on them...get the ceramic balls...and assembles them)

He can help you get whatever you need.

I also suggest precision bearing or something like that...very good company as well.

• Like 1

I saw a company called MadManEngineering. They clame to have the bearings. I was thinking of pricing them. I just didn't know if it was someting to really think about. I don't see myself being able to buy another bike fore a very long time so I want to do things right. I will check it out some more tomorow when I get a chance. IfI find anything good I will post back. But I still am a little lost as if its worth it?

Ceramic bearings are where you turn when the steel ones aren't good enough. It's the high tech solution for when reliability and quality is the priority and cost quits mattering. The best ones will last way way longer than the steel ones and also free up extra horsepwower in the process via lower friction. It's a win win but there is an associated cost of entry.

It was to be part of my approach to building the ultimate indestructible, balanced, low friction bottom end so I could just replace top ends without worrying about the bottom end as often. I just couldn't find off the shelf main bearing replacements and never looked into customs fearing time/costs/extra variables.

I had a lot of experimental stuff going on with my DIY build as it was and wussed out on this expensive but potentially lucrative avenue. It was going to end up being a really expensive experiment if the stuff I already had didn't work and these bearings are damn expensive for the good stuff. Now that I'm finally pulling what I have together succesfully I somewhat regret not having gone down this path also. I hope if you decide to do it you are succesful and it kicks ass but you should definitely report back on what to do to pull it off so I can do it next rebuild time.

When I ran shifter karts, some of the guys ran them...The main bearings (2) were close to $ 200.00 for the set. Given the size of the bottom end bearings in these engines, I'd guess these would be 300-400 easily for just the 2. I cannot justify that expense when my OEM main bearings have 140+ hours on them and still running just fine :busted:

I found no hp gains with the ceramics the yamaha 250 and suzuki picked up some engine vibration from using them .

Haha! Well, that's not supposed to happen. I wonder what went wrong.

Haha! Well, that's not supposed to happen. I wonder what went wrong.

I would assume that Ceramics would asorb less of the engine vibrations than steel since they do not flex or vibrate the same way

Most extreme high end builds use them...

ALL the GP guys use them, and almost ALL the open shifter kart class guys use them. As I stated, not all ceramic bearings are created equal...

But anyways, they are available...and are proven HP in the shifter kart world...and superbike world...

I don't think just the mains would do you much...most people replace every bearing.

The right way would be to replace all the bearings with ceramic hybrid bearings. The main bearings, the tranny bearings and the rear wheel bearings. And no o-ring chain.

Then it would be measurable I guess. Trick but expensive.

Thanks guys. I was thinking about doing it but I think I can find a better way to get more power out of my bike for less. Its not like I need more. But in time I know I will want it.

The biggest benefit from ceramics is going to be associated with the rolling elements lower density. The reduced weight will result in a reduction in rotation inertia and allow the engine to rev up faster. Not a big factor in dirt bikes.

I'll save the money on the bearings and put it where it'll make a difference.

those round black rim savers, tires!!!!

Thanks guys. I was thinking about doing it but I think I can find a better way to get more power out of my bike for less. Its not like I need more. But in time I know I will want it.

The main reason to consider ceramics is the extra durability they offer not the minimal amount of horsepower they could free up (even if it is so small as to not clearly show up on dyno testing). As far as the longevity is concerned there is lots and lots of testing data which shows the benefits are real and very significant. If you don't care about that then using them for the horsepower they may offer is probably not worth it for most people.

So many things.... so expensive. I am so interested in making engines more reliable but there are so many bad options. As well as so many good ones. This seems to be a really good one but really expensive.. why not just replece steel ones more frequently. I mean people are claiming to get over 100 hours with them. By then the bottom end should be inspected anyways....

whats the point in having bearings that will out live a crank anyway?

i would just use oems and change them all every time i split the cases.

unless your bubba.