what is the fastest 2 stroke MX engine even today?

I went to Le Touquet beach race wrenching for my friend Peter Maier from Germany in 85  He was a Maico works rider and they build him a bike with enduro top gears, geared up for max speed for this almost 5 mile straight down the beach and back through the dunes Race.  If you were not in the top 20 it bottlenecked at the end of the beach and bikes would be stuck all over wrecking your chances of god placement. The bike supposedly  did dyno out at almost 85 hp and was clocked ant 180 km per hour in the sand going down the beach.( Like a dog waging its tail -- A very soft frame and forks were very flex back than )  To keep the engine happy we installed an Idle jet in the choke circuit so he could ad fuel once wound out to top speed so the engine would not blow. Hands down the scariest bike I have ever been on. Oh and craziest Race too 1500 bikes on the startling 2 tank's giving the start shot several helicopters hovering above the start line. He made it in the top 10  and a few years later placed 6th in the original Paris to Dakar.

The bike was ported for top end power would rev out like a 250 not the regular tractor 500 power delivery. After the mid 80s all manufacturers started to tune down the open class bikes because usually the least powerful 500s got the fastest lap times.  

Edited by powdermuncher
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I went to Le Touquet beach race wrenching for my friend Peter Maier from Germany in 85  He was a Maico works rider and they build him a bike with enduro top gears, geared up for max speed for this almost 5 mile straight down the beach and back through the dunes Race.  If you were not in the top 20 it bottlenecked at the end of the beach and bikes would be stuck all over wrecking your chances of god placement. The bike supposedly  did dyno out at almost 85 hp and was clocked ant 180 km per hour in the sand going down the beach.( Like a dog waging its tail)  To keep the engine happy we installed a Idle jet in the choke circuit so he could ad fuel once wound out to top speed so the engine would not blow. Hands down the scariest bike I have ever been on. Oh and craziest race too 1500 bikes on the startling 2 tanks giving the start shot several helicopters hovering above the start line. He made it in the top 10  and a few years later placed 6th in the original Paris to Dakar.

The bike was ported for top end power and revel like a 250 not the regular tractor 500 power delivery. after the mid 80s all manufacturers started to tune down the open class bikes because usually the least powerful 500s got the fastest lap times. 

On 10/11/2009 at 12:01 PM, RM_500 said:

The worst, scariest 1 cyl thing to put in a 2 wheel chassie would be a sidecar motor like the 700cc maico (also known as Zabel, The Maico is also the motor of ATK). Another sidecar motor is MTH, 635cc. They make around 82 hp. . If you look at the new Maicos they deliver 630 and 700 cc bikes.

Some one I know raced Suzuki TM400. They were quite a handful too, with an on/off power...

That’s an honorable mention.The tm400 cyclone has been voted the worst dirt bike ever made.If you want a handful, ride one of those lol. 

Edited by RawbW

Used to roadrace a 1988 CR500 with plenty of work done to it

Not SM either

Had a Gixxer front end with clip-ons as well as the Gixxer(750) rear

Used to podium that bike in AM250GP (TZ250 etc)and Heavyweight Twins (TL1000s etc)

No idea of actual top speed but I’d hazard a guess I used to hit 130mph on the back straight at Mosport. Wide open n tucked

Thank god she never seized on me !!

Had double disks up front 

I’d have the back wheel 6” off the ground under hard hard braking

Always made time up in the corners n the bastards would claw it back on the straights!! haha

Found an old pic of me on it the other day

Jeeez Those hand me down leathers were NASTEEEEEEE!!;)

Good times

Edited by Sspeedfreak
forgot

25464_371305100802_4936935_n.jpg.a60c35b78332e67d6a036009c34349f9.jpg

Hmmm, KTM 125 will do 80mph with that 45T sprocket on, you mean 4 times the displacement only gains 20mph?

Actually I have a 380 KTM as well. Its top speed is about the same but appears to be whatever you sprocket it for. It is a blast to go out riding with modern 450s as it leaves them thinking "what the heck?" It is also easy to start and can be quite docile when ridden carefully. 

I have also rode Kawi H1 and H2 bikes belonging to my brother-in-laws. Crazy power, but on par with my 94 750 Ninja but much heavier. image.png.1f3a67b86aeef166a5b7a60cd59961c9.png

I had a 1985 XT600 Yamaha dual sport that would regularly do an indicated 180 kph (112mph). In fact the cop that stopped me said "you were clocked doing well in excess of 160kph over a 20 km distance". THAT was an awkward conversation... They had a car waiting ahead for me because late 80s police cars here would not go that fast... It did get light and twitchy at speed.

Heck, my 2004 Husaberg FE450 would do just under 160kph limited only by sprocketing. It would wheelie at 60mph in 6th gear. 

image.png.26e5c96eaa383a7fba898e56505f925f.png

I didn't see any mention of the Yamaha SC500 single, I think it was around "73" when I bought one and went off road racing  with it. It had to be at least as bad a bike  as the 400 Suzuki and probably faster.  I just remember many times grabbing too much throttle and flipping it over backwards.  I did somehow manage a third in my first ever race with it.  I've been down sizing and going faster ever since. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 7:41 PM, seedy said:

RD500

RD500.jpg

I'd say the rg "gamma" 500, or tz750. 

The fastest Dirtbike argument is dumb, as any of the bike bore dirtbikes can be geared to the moon and have the power to pull beyond 100mph. I found the Dirtbike mag article to be silly. Any 500 geared super tall will have the same result.

I guess stock geared bikes, to top speed would be more of a decent argument.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 9:46 PM, 6bt said:

I'd say the rg "gamma" 500, or tz750. 

Yes the Suzuki RG 500 was much lighter and faster than the RD in street trim anyway.

Back in the day I did ride both of them and the RD was outright mild in comparison tho the RG from Suzuki.

Neither one of them would make good dirtbikes.

3 hours ago, powdermuncher said:

Yes the Suzuki RG 500 was much lighter and faster than the RD in street trim anyway.

Back in the day I did ride both of them and the RD was outright mild in comparison tho the RG from Suzuki.

Neither one of them would make good dirtbikes.

Yep. I owned a RZ500 (that's what they were called over here) and a mate has a couple of RG500's, one original and one squeezed into a 250 frame. The RG wins hands down.

As a side note, If you want to have some fun, try a RZ with the powervalves wired open :eek:

Yes they were insane on the street at 6.2" and 200 pounds  It was pretty crowded for me. Passing at 70 mph was -- pull out  2 gears down make sure to straighten out before you hit the power band hard and the front wheel was airborne till the next corner. Ultimately the GSXr 750 and 1100 were easier to ride fast but nothing compared to the 2 stroke for sheer insane fun. The good old days 

By the way if I did not race MC for a few seasons before I got to ride them bikes I doubt that I would be around to post about it today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...