Ticking noise - '09 DR-Z 400SM

Hi everyone,

My new DR-Z 400 SM (2200km) has developed a ticking noise coming from the head. I took it to the bike shop and the mechanic said "Yup, that's definitely not a normal noise and its probably valve clearances or cam chain tension." I booked it in to get that and the howling rear brake (makes the whole bike vibrate) checked on the 24th of October.

The bike is 100% stock.

I have two questions:

I was told the valve clearance/cam chain check is not covered under warranty as its an adjustment. Is this correct?

The mechanic told me it is fine to ride the bike in this condition, it will not cause any permanent damage. What are your opinions?

Edit: Checked the warranty handbook - it states:

This warranty shall not apply (...) to normal service and maintenance adjustments necessitated by use, such as engine tuning adjustments to (...) valves etc.

I guess I'm paying for it and have only one question after all :bonk:

If the bike has strange noises coming from it, it's a good idea to get it checked, for sure.

I'd be surprised if the valve clearances were already off, but who knows for sure unless you get it checked.

Hopefully, you know how to service an air filter and keep dirt out of the engine.

If anything, I'd guess the clearances would tighten-up, not get bigger.

Riding the bike if the valve clearances are a bit loose probably wouldn't hurt anything right away unless they were incredibly loose.

Riding it with clearances too tight are not very nice to the bike and will cause running/starting/longevity problems.

If your bike does need a clearance adjustment, I can see the dealership expecting to get paid by you for the work.

I've got a 2009 DR-Z400SM, too, and have owned it for exactly one year this past Tuesday with about 6,000 miles on the odometer right now.

As a side note or two given my past year's experience with my DR-Z:

*My bike makes noticable ticketty-tack noises coming from the camshaft/camchain/valve area.

I think they all do it, and many people have asked about it.

I believe it's normal noise.

*My rear brake pads/caliper also vibrates when dragging the rear brake and coming to a stop.

Has done this for most of the time I've been riding my DR-Z.

Doesn't do it with every use of the rear brake, but often enough so that I now know it's fairly normal for my bike.

I've come to accept it since it's more of a curiousity than a real problem for me - it's just a tiny little motocross-inspired caliper back there, so maybe it's saying it would rather be off the road. :bonk:

Had mine from new in Nov 2007 and was always concerned how mechanically rattly they are. Checked the clearances myself just to be sure and they were fine. I have a GSXR1000K7 thats also the same, modern engines with thin water jackets maybe!

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely taking it into the shop for piece of mind, if nothing else.

YZEtc, just curious as to why you brought up the air filter thing. The only things I check on the bike so far are fluid levels, tyre pressure and drive chain tension. Why would I be poking around in the air filter?

The Auto Decompression mechanism on the exhaust cam ticks a bit on mine, especially when the engine is cold and at idle. The TL1000 I owned had a similar setup. Over on the TL board, we call them "ticks loudly".

If the valve clearances check out and the cam chain is fine, I would chalk it up to the decomp unit.

In any case, it would be a good idea to replace the auto cam chain tensioner with a manual one. Lots of info on that on the board.

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely taking it into the shop for piece of mind, if nothing else.

YZEtc, just curious as to why you brought up the air filter thing. The only things I check on the bike so far are fluid levels, tyre pressure and drive chain tension. Why would I be poking around in the air filter?

Letting dirt into the intake sandblasts the back of the valves, removes their special hardening coating, and starts the valves sinking into the seats.

This is how you lose valve clearance.

In my opinion, you're due for an air filter service.

The Owner's Manual give some rediculously long service interval that makes me nervous:

Inspecting it for the first time at 4,000 miles and finally servicing it at 11,00 miles.

Like hell. :bonk:

If you stay 100% on paved roads, you're probably OK, but I'd service it as shown in the Owner's Manual, anyway.

Just up the service interval.

I do my DR-Z400SM air filter every 30 days, and it's a street-only bike.

Besides, it's right there in front of you, with just three Dzus fasteners in your way. :bonk:

If you ride it off road, you need it a lot sooner than that.

Be sure to use a real foam filter oil.

I like Maxima FFT, myself. :bonk:

What weight oil are you running...I hope not 10w40 like the manual says. Do a search here and consider a good synthetic 20w50. Mine has less rattle especially when the oil is fresh 20w50. 10w40 oil with a couple thousand miles on it would be noisy not good on valve train. Try fresh 20w50 and then re-evaluate just for grins.

I thought my '09 drz-s had alot of noise when I first got it. I compared it to a friends '05 and we both agreed they sound the same.(first bike I've ever had that I could hear the motor over the exhaust pipe).

I had a problem with it hesitating before it came down to idle at about 800mi. the dealer told my to bring it in to adjust the valves. He only charged me $50 and it ran better than ever.

is this the shop that you bought the bike from? If so, ask them to do it for free......if they don't remind them it is still under warranty and if it blows they will be doing much more work for free then a valve lash check

Hi everyone,

My new DR-Z 400 SM (2200km) has developed a ticking noise coming from the head. I took it to the bike shop and the mechanic said "Yup, that's definitely not a normal noise and its probably valve clearances or cam chain tension." I booked it in to get that and the howling rear brake (makes the whole bike vibrate) checked on the 24th of October.

The bike is 100% stock.

I have two questions:

I was told the valve clearance/cam chain check is not covered under warranty as its an adjustment. Is this correct?

The mechanic told me it is fine to ride the bike in this condition, it will not cause any permanent damage. What are your opinions?

Edit: Checked the warranty handbook - it states:

I guess I'm paying for it and have only one question after all :bonk:

My bike started making the same noise after about 600 miles. I did a lot of searching here and I think its my auto decompressor. I have 1900 miles and will be checking my valves when I hit 2000 miles so I'll take a good look around to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. The bike runs fine though. Let us know what the shop says.

On a DRZ you will not hear increased nose when valves need adjustment, less noise is more likely.. Clearances DECREASE as the valve face wears and valve recedes into the head.. Less clearance means less noise not more.

ACCT failure will cause some cam chain slap and is possible, but not likely on an 09.. The ACCT in 2003 and later are still junk, but not because they fail completely. If it did,, you’d only hear the chain flop for a few seconds,, then the ticking and all other sounds from your motor would stop when the valves are bent due to an out of time cam.

Auto decompression assembly on the cam is known to tick somewhat, more so at lower RPM’s There also is a small percentage of motors that have had a failure of the auto decompression assembly,, A fractured pin causes the weights of the assembly to move about, and the cam pin the rides against the bucket taps loudly. Very easy to diagnose by looking at the decompression assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the bike in today and the same mechanic as before listened to it again and told me the ACCT was halfway to clicking onto the next ratchet bit and the noise would soon go away. He rode the bike and said the howling rear break is normal for non-floating discs.

I guess I just need to get used to owning a machine that sounds like putting a bag of nails into a blender :bonk:

I have owned my Z for 6 years now and have 1000 and some change dirt only miles on it, It has been a little noisy the whole time...except when I ran 20-50 weight,then i was alot louder..I now only run Silkelene 10-40 and change it every 4 rides about 150 miles.

I also still have the original ACCT and change the spring in it every year, I have had to adjust valves once and that was to get it to the outer spec,check once a season, These motors are known to be a little noisy. As long as the noise doesnt get louder or change to a grind or bang I think you should be good to go. 2003 KLx 400 R