07 rebuild and performance upgrades (with pics)

So where is the ride report??:rant::worthy::bonk:

Ahh the sites back up?

So got it together Sat afternoon and took it for first break in. Just went for a ride on some fire roads so I could wind it out and vary the throttle on the break in for first 20 miles. Initial start up was a bit of a pain as I had replaced my throttle cable and my idle was too low. Anyways got her fired up, warmed up, and went for a rip. The power was just what I was looking for, still buttery smooth with no hit but way more pull all the way through with alot higher top end. In my short 45min ride though an electrical gremlin popped up that has happened periodically before. My battery power went dead, bike runs fine in the revs but pops on decel and doesn't like to start.

So I ride home pissed I now really have to figure out this electrical as it's not coming back like it has before. Sunday morning I trace my electrical problem down to a bad connector from the starter relay box. A little tin foil and I'm golden :bonk:

Now the real ride report. Gas was 94 oct Chevron. Motor never dreamed of detonation and I dug deep for it lugging on some big sandy hills :bonk:

So this was a real ride, some fast, some tight gnarly slow and lots of big hills. Like I said before buttery smooth power, even more linear than my bike was before, less of a mid-hit ( the 08 cams ) but tons of throat. Front end is way easier to loft and suspension seems to be flowing better as the bike likes to float more on top and keep the front end light. Big deep sand tech hills in the woods where I used to be the master of clutch abuse were point and shoot. I hardly need to touch that beautiful new clutch of mine which is really smooth and nice. No problem what so ever with the power in the tight stuff either. Like I said smooth with alot more bottom were I can easily lug were I had to clutch before. Starts in one or two kicks hot or cold.

Buuuttt no Estart :bonk: It's so close you can taste it but it won't quite fire. It seems it might need a leaner pilot, down to a 42 from my 45. But seeing as there are limited riding days left here in BC and jetting is so out with the rest of the riding season right now, cold+ high humidity+ low pressure I think I will just live without the Estart for now and go about jetting this thing right when conditions return to normal in the spring.

My Bike with a yz cam starts fine. If your Batt is full and the bike is jeted right it shouls start fine.

Since your batt is not holding a charge it may be not strong enough to start the bike. My bike has an issue holding a charge still. I have a new batt ready to try.

My Bike with a yz cam starts fine. If your Batt is full and the bike is jeted right it shouls start fine.

Since your batt is not holding a charge it may be not strong enough to start the bike. My bike has an issue holding a charge still. I have a new batt ready to try.

My batt is holding a fine charge. The issue was a loose connection after the battery. It is now fixed and can turn over the bike as long as I want. Today was also warmer, drier and higher pressure. Was able to adjust the fuel screw to range but the estart still wouldn't work. It's really close, but won't quite fire up. It starts on first or secound kick though.

I'm not the first person with a YZ cam starting issue :bonk:

I have had no problem with the YZ cam and starting. It still has the decompression built right on the ex cam just like the WR cam. What I have found and you should try is to give the throttle two quick twist to give it a shot of raw gas into the intake and hold the hot start lever and it fires right up with the estart! Another thing is you need a strong battery. Just because it turns it over does not mean it is getting enough voltage to fire the motor up. I see this on the YFZ 450 quads after putting in a WR piston. It takes so much power to turn the motor over there is not enough left to fire the spark plug. This is why they start so good with the kick start.

FYI

Todd

• Like 1

Been estarting my YZ cam'd '04 for 5 years with the button. I could count on 1 hand the number of times I needed to kickstart it but then I don't live where it's cold either. You do have to have your jetting dialed in reasonably well but other than that no problem.

I have had no problem with the YZ cam and starting. It still has the decompression built right on the ex cam just like the WR cam. What I have found and you should try is to give the throttle two quick twist to give it a shot of raw gas into the intake and hold the hot start lever and it fires right up with the estart! Another thing is you need a strong battery. Just because it turns it over does not mean it is getting enough voltage to fire the motor up. I see this on the YFZ 450 quads after putting in a WR piston. It takes so much power to turn the motor over there is not enough left to fire the spark plug. This is why they start so good with the kick start.

FYI

Todd

According to Hot Cams and some discussion I've had with Grayracer on the issue the YZ exh cam's decompression pin is a bit too long and dumps too much compression for the estarting on a WR. It seems it works for a bunch of you but I know SJMCDon had the same problem.

As for the battery it not only holds a charge but is a new ebatt. It has lots of life left. That said it is Lithium which doesn't like cold and it is cold out. I noticed before the cam swap when it was cold a little harder starting so maybe when it's warmer out......

As for jetting I'd say I'm right in the ballpark now. Absolutely no hesitation or bog anywhere, even if I wack the throttle on the stand. Fuel screw was able to get the right setting with yesterday's weather. I'm not a jetting dummy, I have lots of jets around. This bike wasn't just set up with a jet kit. I played with many settings before being happy. That said I haven't rejetted at all since the changes besides fuel screw. As I said earlier I'll wait untill spring and normal weather for that.

As far as jetting and starting it all really comes down to the pilot and since I was able to get my fuel screw in range yesterday......

What I have found and you should try is to give the throttle two quick twist to give it a shot of raw gas into the intake and hold the hot start lever and it fires right up with the estart! FYI

Todd

OK I tried this and it works :bonk::worthy::bonk::worthy::bonk:

Thanks a ton.

It was only with the bike warm, not truly hot when I tried it but this is a beacon of light. Next ride we'll see how she goes.

OK I tried this and it works :bonk::worthy::bonk::worthy::bonk:

Thanks a ton.

It was only with the bike warm, not truly hot when I tried it but this is a beacon of light. Next ride we'll see how she goes.

Well, seems like that routine works pretty good, it's the same procedure I use when my bike is warm/hot, except I only use a 1/4 twist of throttle and hold the hot-start lever. When cold, it starts perfectly with the e-start, almost too fast. When it's cold I just give it a full twist of throttle and set the choke, it starts almost too easy. Funny you mentioned that sjmcdon had the e-start issue, I'm the person he sold the yz cams to, and my bike starts pretty well with the e-start.:bonk: There might be a "problem" with the decomp pin, but it's not impossible to get the bike to e-start with the yz cams, it just takes some fiddling and patience.

I went with the 06 yz cams and the bike does have somewhat of a power hit to it, I wonder how it would work with the high-comp piston. I might do that in the next couple of years, my bike probably only has 3,000 miles so far, so it's probably not due for a piston yet.

Well, seems like that routine works pretty good, it's the same procedure I use when my bike is warm/hot, except I only use a 1/4 twist of throttle and hold the hot-start lever. When cold, it starts perfectly with the e-start, almost too fast. When it's cold I just give it a full twist of throttle and set the choke, it starts almost too easy. Funny you mentioned that sjmcdon had the e-start issue, I'm the person he sold the yz cams to, and my bike starts pretty well with the e-start.:bonk: There might be a "problem" with the decomp pin, but it's not impossible to get the bike to e-start with the yz cams, it just takes some fiddling and patience.

I went with the 06 yz cams and the bike does have somewhat of a power hit to it, I wonder how it would work with the high-comp piston. I might do that in the next couple of years, my bike probably only has 3,000 miles so far, so it's probably not due for a piston yet.

I've only done a couple rips around the neighbourhood but the 2 squirts has been working for me :bonk:

I haven't even tried cold yet. My bike hated starting cold with the estart with WR cams.

Saturday I hope to have a real ride again and see if I can get the estart working consistently.

The HC piston seems to like pump gas anyways. I did a 50/50 mix of 94 and 91 octane and still no detonation. I'll try straight 91 one of these days.

So when swapping cams to YZ, is there power differences between years or differences where the power comes on (low,mid, high) in years 06-09?

Yes, there's a difference in power delivery from different year yz cams. The 06 yz cams are regarded as the ones with most bottom and mid power, while the 08 have a smoother power-curve and a little bit more on top.

I've only done a couple rips around the neighbourhood but the 2 squirts has been working for me :bonk:

I haven't even tried cold yet. My bike hated starting cold with the estart with WR cams.

Saturday I hope to have a real ride again and see if I can get the estart working consistently.

The HC piston seems to like pump gas anyways. I did a 50/50 mix of 94 and 91 octane and still no detonation. I'll try straight 91 one of these days.

Good to hear that about the 50/50 mix of gas. I'd like to know if it runs reliably on 91 octane under different altitude/temp conditions. Requiring higher than pump octane would be a deal breaker for me. On the yz forums they say that under most conditions it should run fine on pump 91 octane gas.

Well went for a big ride yesterday. Got up in the alpine for the last time untill spring :bonk: some fun riding in the snow :bonk:

Bike runs great but the estart is less than 50%

Starts cold on estart which is crazy because it hated it with wr cams especially at this time of year.

Will usually start warm- open riding, on the throttle but lots of cooling from speed- with the 2 squirt of throttle, hot start routine.

Will not estart at all when the bike is truly hot from tight singletrack or really hard riding- deep sand, mud, hills, etc. This is race situations for me when I really want the estart to work. The other times I don't really care about. My bike used to estart the best in this scenario. Hot start and e button and she fired on the first fire from the starter.

To me it seems if I was leaner on the pilot that it should work BUT I am getting a good setting on the fuel screw now- can get idle to drop, bring it back up

Any ideas :bonk:

Afraid I have no idea's on your E-start problems, I went with Hotcam's just for this reason..

Have you tried it out on straight "high grade" pump fuel yet though?

I'm considering the hi comp piston, but ONLY if I can run pump gas

I haven't run any race fuel. I've used 94 octane from the pumps, Chevron and Husky have 94. I've also used a 50/50 mix of 91 and 94 octane. It's run great on all these. I'll try straight 91 oct one of these days since the 94 is a half hour away for me.

Yesterday I rode between 500 and 7000ft and she got a little rich up high but still ran well.

Have you tested the needle up/down or maybe a new one, unless your JD'in it?

Just a thought.

Yeah my jetting feels all around richer after the mods. Especially with the cold temps at this time of year I'm normally feeling a little lean.

I'll save tuning the jetting for the spring and normal weather.

Hopefully that will solve the problem.

I have a GYTR needle.