06 yzf 450 clutch ?

I recently purchased an 06 yz 450 and cant quite figure out the clutch.

When I pop it in gear, the clutch lever has to pretty much be released all the way for the bike to move, when Im riding fast its fine, its just difficult to handle when im in tight spots or climbing where I have to feather the clutch, it seems like the clutch is just fully engaged or disengaged. The clutch does not slip at all.

Is this just the way the yz 450's are?

I replaced the clutch cable and have played with the clutch adjustment by the lever and on the engine, its still doing the same thing. I dont know whats going, is my clutch going out, are the slutch springs maybe worn, I dont know what else to do. I dont want to buy a new clutch kit if its something else. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is this just the way the yz 450's are?

No. Especially not the '06.

There is no adjustment at the engine on the '06. Just be sure you have 3mm or so of free play at the lever.

If the clutch has a late catch point, and is grabby, the fault is probably nothing more than plates (use OEM), but there are a couple of things to check.

Look at at the basket assembly. If the basket can be rotated left or right on the gear without springing back to the center, the cushion unit in the gear is bad. Also check that the nut holding the hub on the main shaft is tight.

No. Especially not the '06.

There is no adjustment at the engine on the '06. Just be sure you have 3mm or so of free play at the lever.

If the clutch has a late catch point, and is grabby, the fault is probably nothing more than plates (use OEM), but there are a couple of things to check.

Look at at the basket assembly. If the basket can be rotated left or right on the gear without springing back to the center, the cushion unit in the gear is bad. Also check that the nut holding the hub on the main shaft is tight.

thanks to everyone for replying back, you say to use the oem, why not some aftermarket brands, also should I get the entire clutch kit? also what I meant by the adjustment on the engine was where you can turn the nut out towards the bottom of the clutch cable. But no matter how I adjust the cable, nothing seems to change. Also what is a good place to look for the clutch kit if oem or aftermarket?

THanks again for the help

...what I meant by the adjustment on the engine was where you can turn the nut out towards the bottom of the clutch cable.
Neither of the two '06's in my garage have an adjuster there, just an anchor nut.

OEM Yamaha plates work better and last longer than any aftermarket plates I know of with the exception of Hinsons or the GYT-R plates, which are also Hinsons. It's that simple.

Neither of the two '06's in my garage have an adjuster there, just an anchor nut.

OEM Yamaha plates work better and last longer than any aftermarket plates I know of with the exception of Hinsons or the GYT-R plates, which are also Hinsons. It's that simple.

good to know, i almost orderd the gytr from ebay.now for sure will