tires and sprockets

Does anyone have problems whith spocket wear? I have Renthal sprockets and a DID Oring chain. Have had them for about 3 months and the sprockets are about shot already. Should I run steel?

And tires. I ride in PA, various conditions. What is the best all around tire? Dunlop 752?

Thanks

Nick

The Dunlop 739G is by far the best wearing tire. Go with the wider 120 if you get one. As far as sprockets, if it were not for Sunstar helping me out I'd def. be running a steel sprocket. Probably that new Sidewinder. $100 bucks is alot for a sprocket but I hear they're worth it.

nick,

the did x-ring i had on my bike when we rode at mx-573, hasn't needed to be adjusted since i got it. get the x-ring with steel sprockets since your not concerned about weight. i'm going to try the pirreli mt32 on the rear. its supposedly good from soft to hard with long wear. it has soft terrian thread pattern with hard compound.

when are we going to back together. i hit the ground pretty hard last weekend so i won't be in action for about two weeks. let me know.

shawn

NPUZA

Check your wheel alignment, that will cause sprocket wear like that. It's easy torque it down and not be right against the adjuster's, the marks will be lined up but the axle still will be off....

I'm running a hard anodized aluminum sprocket with a DID X-ring chain. The sprocket's a Moose, but I think Moose buys them from Answer, they have the same pattern.

Any of the hard anodized sprockets should wear well if you run good chain and take care of it.

I've heard BAD things about the Sidewinder and GOOD things about them. All I know is if you go to the web site and look at the pricing, they want 3 TIMES what an

aluminum sprocket costs. Then in the "small print" to get the "best deal" on the sprocket and chain you have to buy chain lube from them as well, too much money, too

much like a marketing scam - IMHO. ?

I haven't seen a 739G for sale anywhere but on the back of a new 426! The 739 AT is a good wearing tire for hard conditions, I've been through two but I ride alot. I just

bought one of the Bridgestone M78's. I have one on the back of my KDX200 and it's wearing really well so I decided to try it on the 400. Only problem with it is, 110 is

the biggest they make in the M78, I run a 120 with the 739AT's. If you're in softer conditions I'd try a 756 on the back.

I like the 756 on the front, it's worn surprisingly well in the desert, gives good grip on the track and is very predictable. I had a 739 on the front before the 756 and didn't like it. It seemed to let go all at once with no "warning".

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'98 YZ400F

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited 05-31-2000).]

I took the 739 G off my 426 because I didn't like the way it felt on hard pack. That tire wears like iron though, and the tire guy couln't believe that I didn't want it back (it still had plenty of tread).

I put a 756 on and it works well in all conditions, but it chunks a little when ridden on hard pack (maybe that's why it's designated soft terrain).

I may go to the old standby M78 next time. It wears well and is a controllable slider.

Chris In The Mojave,

I know you can't trust the marks on the swingarm. Is there any other tricks other than spinning the wheel to make sure it is free?

Shawn,

I'm heading to Hurricane Hills this weekend for a race, but maybe Montrose next weekend.

How did you wreck?

Thanks

Nick

Nick,

I just make sure the chain is in spec, the marks are lined up and the axle is up against the adjuster. I check that the wheel is free and eyeball it as well. The other thing is to make sure you're putting the right washers and spacers in the right locations on reassembly, if the front and rear sprockets are not aligned and in the same plane you could get fast wear. Is there a pattern to the wear? Inside of the teeth? Outside edge? You maybe able to get a clue from the wear, just a thought. :-)

Good Hunting

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'98 YZ400F

I measure the distance from the back of the swingarm to the center of the axel with a small tape. That way you know you're lined up.

You can get the 739G from Dunlop and you should be able to order it from a local dealer. Opt. for the wider 100X120-19, it's a noticable difference.

nick,

came up short on a double, over the bars and face planted. basically landed full weight on my right shoulder and probably seperated the colar bone from the sternum. other than that, my whole upper body feels like i broke everything. should be ok by fathers day to ride, us 40year olds dont't quite heal as fast as you 20year olds, ha ha. i was planning on doing the valley forge trail riders hare scramble that weekend but if not completely healed by then maybe we and some friends can get together at mx-573. good luck at hurricane hills and post your results.

on a side note, after the crash, it seems to be hard to find first gear. have to keep stomping on the lever to get it into gear from neutral and if down shifting from 2nd it goes into neutral. have not checked the lever up close yet since i was hurting pretty bad. any thoughts?

Kevin in New Hampshire,

Yes, I am in D6. Have you raced this area?

Chris in the Mojave,

The teeth are bent forward.

Shawn,

I'm not sure about the gear, but you may want to check your clutch adjustment.

Can someone help me with tire sizes. height, width

Thanks

Nick

nick,

at idle in neutral i can see the clutch being a problem, but in 2nd at speed and downshifting with or without the clutch, i find neutral instead of first. again with clutch in, i have to keep stomping on it to find first.

as for tire size, you can go as large as 120/90x19. stock is 110/90x19. remember, the wider it is the less chain slack you can tolerate before it starts slapping the tire.

Nick,

I raced D6 from fall of '90 until the end of the season in '93. I moved to CT (and now NH) in '94. I raced 25+ and Vet on my '91 CR 250 Honda. I lived in Hummelstown just outside of Hershey. I always trophied at Shippensburg except during the Lorreta Lynn qualifier. They reversed the track and I went over the bars after a jump. I was very screwed up and left the race immediately AFTER my vision came back. I liked Sleepy Hollow, Plainview (Plainfield?) was neat but those whoops were hard. Riding on part of the flat track section was the first time I had my CR wide open in 5th. I liked Pagoda (was that the one near Redding) also but only raced there once. They dropped the gate while I had my arm in the air while swapping out my sparkplug - I fouled it at the gate after the 2 minute sign. The guy claimed he didn't see me. Maybe if I had the Goodyear blimp next to me he may have!! I did enjoy my time there, a lot of tracks and pretty close to my house! Feel lucky. Here in New England, the tracks are far and few.

------------------

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.