Sign in to follow this  

Honda Used 400EX isues?

Are there any common issues I should be aware of in buying a used TRX400EX?

The quad I'm looking at is a bone-stock '05 with low hours.

This would be my first quad, so I'm learning from scratch. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. :bonk:

They are an extremely bulletproof machine. I have had two of them and had no issues other than what I broke. :bonk:

The EX is a good quad for an adult beginner who knows how to handle a fully manual hand clutch. It is probably the best investment I have ever made.............

My EX is 6 years old, and has seen thousands of hard a$$ desert miles. Besides the usual things like brake pads, chains, and sprockets, the only major thing I have had to replace were the rear bearings, which were overdue after that many miles.

the only major thing I have had to replace were the rear bearings, which were overdue after that many miles.

I have a set of those in my basement collecting dust along with a complete carrier if anyone needs one. And I also have a completely new (still in box) red plastic kit if anyone is looking for that. :bonk:

If you are sure it is really low hours and it has had regular oil changes with a descent oil, I don't think you can go wrong.

Yep. It belongs to a friend of mine, and I think I've been there almost every time he rode it.

The EX is a good quad for an adult beginner who knows how to handle a fully manual hand clutch.

Sounds like me. :bonk:

Here's a pic of the quad with my friend riding it. I'm just waiting now to hear from him on whether he definitely wants to do the trade we have worked out. He has two quads and wants a bike. I have two bikes and want a quad. :bonk:

43364507-M.jpg

This quad has the same engine as the XR400 with minor changes for a quad. I've got a 2000. 1999 to 2005 they are all the same except for some minor changes like graphics. I think they did up grade the shocks also. You will have fun on it.

400EXs are a pretty tough and reliable quad. About the only time you'll have problems is with fairly extensive motor mods (mostly 440 kits) or if you're riding it extremely hard and simply do more than the chassis components can handle.

Like everybody has said these things are pretty bullet proof. Buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Zero significant changes from 99 to 04. 2005 found new plastic and reverse.

Issues? Rear brake pads wear out quick, they seem to need a new clutch cable every year. That's about it. Great play quad. Cheap and easy to do some basic mods to, but not the best choice if you really want to go fast (though they can be made to do so).

Have fun, and be sure to be a good example to the quad crowd....

I think there was a recall on the '05's, something about 'em going into reverse w/o warning.

Brand new 05 400EXs at Motoworld in El Cajon going for $4,019 + tax today. Sale is thru 4/15/06. Make sure the 05 your buying used is less than that price. :bonk:

ha 450trailrider I am intersted in the parts you have for the EX400 need to change out mine, and also intersted in the plastic also!

well my 400ex was nuthing but trouble. something was wrong with it every month and i changed the oil constintly too.

heres a smarter idea. pick up a rolling 400ex chassis for $1000 then buy a yz426/yz400/crf450 motor for the quad and you will have peoples dream quad for the price of a used stock 400ex.

Think 2500$ for a 2003 in good shape is a good deal?

..Hmmm...not too Bad!!!..But check it out very close! 400ex's are Rock Solid, and very dependable... :bonk::bonk:

..Hmmm...not too Bad!!!..But check it out very close! 400ex's are Rock Solid, and very dependable... :bonk::bonk:

thats the average price for a 400ex. any higher and they dont seem to sell. :bonk: