Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 06 YFZ450 on the way, what to do.......

What's the deal on this quad as far as should do, must do and if I had the $$ I'd do? I know you guys will give me the heads up ASAP so thanks in advance. :bonk:

pipe it. filter it. rejet it. maybe cam mod it. swap the bars. twist throttle. be happy.

if you have a more money than you know what to do with...suspension. suspension. suspension.

dump some money into your banshee if you wanna haul ass

but, you could do a high comp piston, some head work, etc etc.

pipe it. filter it. rejet it. maybe cam mod it. swap the bars. twist throttle. be happy.

if you have a more money than you know what to do with...suspension. suspension. suspension.

I like the way Jessthro thinks, but I'd like to add gettin' nerfs along the way depending on what kind of riding you do, and def different tires.

OK...........after spending the whole weekend riding this awesome quad, here's some praise and bitching about it............

Overall fit and comfort is great except for the heat coming off the head pipe. Way to close to my leg and way too hot trail riding. The heat wasn't noticed on the track in full race gear but in street clothes trail riding, it was very hot. I will get some automotive header wrap tape and try that before I search for another pipe.

Power is pretty good but w/ that restrictive exhaust and off jetting (seems like the pilot can go up 1 size and maybe 2 on the main). I know there is hidden HP hiding in that motor. I intend to open up the intake and exhaust. Gearing seems a little too tight but this quad pulls strong. It flat out killed my modified Banshee in a drag race of about 200 yds.

Quality is typical Yamaha.............very very good. I checked all nuts and bolts over twice and not one was loose or missing! My only real complaint is that the A arms blue isn't close to the plastic blue.

For a 450, this thing must sip fuel. After riding all weekend, I didn't use 5 gal. I can easily burn 5 gal in my YZ250 in 2 days of riding. I rode this Friday night till 6pm Sunday.

Handling is great, hook up/traction is maybe too good (loves to wheelie), that seat is comfortable and non slip too. Brakes stop fast and w/ good feedback. Starting isn't real good but I think a bigger pilot will fix that too and the fact that this is still faily new as well. Bars fit me well as do the ergo's. It jumps great for a quad. Very neutral in the air and a very good jumper w/ great suspension. Landings were plush.

In closing, I wish it had reverse. On the track I wouldn't need this as much as on the trails. Chain held up OK, grips were a little rough on bare hands, the fenders offered little mud protection but overall................I LOVE IT!

:bonk:

Time to get some nerf bars, A arm guards and a real rear disc brake guard. Yamaha gives you a cheesy piece of plastic. :bonk:

whats done to your banshee?

Cylinders ported, Cool head, Toomey T-5s, perfect jet kit, Toomey air intake, suspension replaced, gearing changed, swingarm extended, Barnett clutch kit, high comp Pro X pistons, crank stuffed, etc.

I think the Banshee has the power because it lost the races out of the hole and once they were rolling, the Banshee held its own and even made up some lost ground. The YFZ hooked up while the Banshee spun at every start. The Banshee has good tires but it did not get the traction the YFZ found. We did not try to race on pavement.

Try on the pavement next time and i'm sure the results will be different

I think your are right. It was lack of traction that hurt the Banshee and pavement will fix that.

:bonk: