Starting Problem

My brother has a raptor 660, '03 or '04 and it won't start. It's turning over, but won't fire. I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and it flows great- no problems there. I then tried to drain the carbs from the bottom. Next to nothing came out- less than an ounce out of each one. I don't think this is normal- because on my WR 450 i get almost half a soda can full when i do. Do the carbs just need to be cleaned or is it something else? I never worked on his machine before and the carbs look like a pain in the a$$ to get to. Don't know if it'll be easier to tell him to send it to the dealer or not. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I thought the raptor's were EFI....

Are you getting spark etc? Clean everything out

Yeah- pretty sure it is EFi. Getting a good spark. Will run with starting fluid sprayed into air intake but then dies. My bike doesn't have fuel injection so i don't know that much about it. Is there a fuel pump with EFI and if so are these parts easy to replace??

No. The 660 is Carbureted. (2 carbs). It sounds like the float may be stuck, or fuel flow is restricted within the carb.

Oh, and if you pull the plug and it's dry, then you can verify your not getting fuel.

If the starting fluid made it run, your a-ok. All you need to do is clean the carbs!

oh, and the access to the carbs requires you to remove the front fender (unless your good with moving stuff out of the way) ...tank/heat shield. simply loosen off the clamps on each boot, unbolt the fuel bowl, and blow it out with some air. double check all jets are fastened securely, make sure float moves freely, clean as neccessary. It should run like a dream once they're clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright- I cleaned both carbs- completeley took them apart and cleaned every nook and cranny. Both were clean without any grim, dirt or any kind of build up. All the jets were secure, floats worked fine, nothing seemed out of place. It still wouldn't fire. Once the strating fluid was burned up it died. Any other suggestions?????

You need to take the pilot jets out of the carbs and make sure they are clean. While your doing that you might as well take the mains out also. When you have the jets out force some carb cleaner through them and blow them out with compressed air (hold on tight, they are hard to find if it gets away). Make sure the orifices are clear and reinstall.

yeah I already did that. I took every jet out and completely cleaned every hole i possibly could. They were really clean to begin with! It still wouldn't fire after I put it back together :bonk: i cant think of anything else- so i told my bro to bring it to the dealer- i hate to see him blow a wad of cash for them to fix it but i've asked everyone i know and no one has come up with anything :bonk:

I assume you got everything cleaned out by what you said in your post. Last week my daughter's grizzly 125 has similar symptoms. The float in the carb was working fine, but the little post that attacches to it with the rubber tip was not moving. It was stuck in the up position preventing the gas from flowing into the carb even though the float was down. I pulled that out and cleaned it then everything worked fine.

Also, I assume you considered whether the gas could be bad?

• 1 month later...

Did you ever find out what the problem was on this machine? Mine is doing about the same thing. Can only get it started with a little fuild. remove air fliter and lid, will start but then it acts like it floods the carbs out. I have the carbs broke down now soaking. Going to put them back together this weekend. Wanted to see if there was anything else before I put it back together.

Thanks