Looking to buy a 250 ex..

My wife wants a 250 ex. We found someone that had 2 for sale- both 2003 , one red one yellow. They said the red one was rolled, had new front plastics replaced and the handlebars are a little bent. This was rode by their teenage son. This one's up for $2000. I don't know much about quads but she rode it and said it feels like the ride was not smooth. She said that it felt like it was bumpy... like having a bent axle or slightly uneven tires...hard to explain.

The yellow one had the same ride, and they told us that the wife rode it only (of course) and that they needed new front plastics cause she ran into the back of the red one. Can these get some frame damage from something like that? I also noticed that both had low idles and stalled when they started them, they said they haven't rode them much, and they kept on revving them. Anyway they said the yellow one is for $2500 cause the mom rode it and also cause they just got it serviced because it wouldn't start! I asked them what the dealer said was wrong with it and the dad didn't even know.

When I asked them about changing oil and the air filer, normal stuff- they father was clueless and said his friend did it.

I have a funny feeling they didnt change the oil, stored it for a long time and didn't prep it for storage, and that they don't know crap about the darn quads.

Can someone respond and let me know if any of these things are normal, and if any of those prices are a good deal?

I bought my wife an 05 250EX. They are pretty much bulletproof. They do idle low but will idle on its own when warmed up. The suspension is stiff and the stock tires are terrible. If maintained properly it will last forever. The ones you are looking at sound like they were abused.

The 250's are brutally cold blooded. Tuff to get warmed up, then they'll idle decently.

The only thing that usually goes bad is if the automagic clutch is abused by the rider when stuck in the mud or sand,,

- or sometimes the rear diff gets jazzed at the factory during assembly and inspection.

You can hear that problem, the rear end should be silent.

Honda had some bad attitude problems at their Quad Factory years: 2001 2002 2003 and all the trx those years had a few problems.

Honda stepped up and covered any issues gratis.

If you have any doubts wait, a good one will come along.

Run a wanted ad in some off roading sites,, and someone may call you.

They are very good quads, all seem to have been flipped at one time or the other.

Never seen one with straight handelbars.

Zuki makes a somewhat similar quad. Bombardier an auto trans model with gay rear view mirrors.

Bot Honda and Zuki have good customer support.

Yami cust. service stinks.

Got to agree with the rest of the crowd here and say if you don't have a good feeling about them - pass! Gotta think about it, while the red one was being fix what was the son riding?

And yes, no matter how careful quads roll. Of course people tip bikes all the time too but that's really never a factor when selling. Plastic will always get beat, dented, scratched and cracked.

Check on www.craigslist.com - cycletrader.com and local newspaper. You will find something you like. Good luck.