Raptor 700, NO MODS!!

I've been shopping for an ATV and am seriously considering a new Raptor 700. This will be my first real ATV. I have bought and modified so many bikes (2 wheels) that I really just want something I can buy and ride with no mods. One mod leads to another and I end up doing more wrenching than riding. On to the question, how is the Raptor's performance, bone stock? All I want to do is adjust the shocks, add gas, oil changes and Ride, Ride, Ride!! Is the Raptor a good choice, or should I look at something else. 25% MX, 25% woods trails, 25% sand/coal, 25% goofing off in the snow>

well i have a friend who has one 2006, it is pretty fun to ride and has great power, especially for trail riding. He even races it an beats the livin' piss out of it rides like a maniac. He is also the absolute KING of NON maintinence. He has had it for a little under 2 years now and only changed the oil once, it has run completly out of coolant and he just rode it until he found some.... I could go on and on.

The point is that it is a great machine and runs like a top. Bullet proof to boot. The shocks are initially a little on the still side, but he has +3 a arms and that helped alot. other than that I would recommend it.

I just bought a 2008 Raptor 700R SE. It's a great quad, but I doubt you'll get away from mods. If you're anything like me it's in your blood and you're forever doomed to mod anything you buy. My Raptor was going to remain stock too, but I've already got over $2K in mods installed. First I wanted a more aggressive sounding exhaust, but once you open up the exhaust you might as well open up the airbox too, which leads to a lean fuel mixture, requiring a Power Commander III to correct the mixture. Once you've gone that far you're fully infected by the need-more-power virus and everything escalates. Before you know it you're improving the suspension and laying plans for a big bore kit. Nobody likes the stock 2-ply tires, so replacements with RAZR 2's is a must, but who can replace tires without getting a wheel/tire package deal? Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! As I said, it's hopeless. If you buy it you will mod it. :bonk:

Anyway, they're great quads and I highly recommend one to you. :bonk:

Shawn

PS Once you buy your Raptor, head over to raptorforum.com for all the latest Raptor tips. (currently down for a server move...was supposed to be down for only 1/2 hr or so, but it's been 24 hrs so far...)

That is exactly the disease that I have! One thing leads to another and another and another...... This time I'm really not going to mod anything till it breaks, or wears out. I appreciate the info and the link.

This time I'm really not going to mod anything till it breaks, or wears out. I appreciate the info and the link.

HAH!! Thats what i said! And then within a few weeks all of a sudden i was ordering all kinds of things i didnt need!! hahaha. Good luck on not modding it out! Cause its true its in your blood, YOU HAVE TO MOD IT!! Or atleast thats what it feels like!! hahaha

While shopping I have been trying to decide between the Grizzly 700 for work and the Raptor 700 for fun, (i'd like to have a little of both). I was at a local shop on Saturday and happened to check out the Can-Am Renegade 800. It looks to be the best of all worlds. I did some Q an A with the dealership and some online research.

I know this is a Yamaha Forum, but can anyone give me any reasons NOT to go with the Can-Am Renegade 800. I know it's heavy, but it also fast (possibly faster than a Raptor) and I do very little jumping. By the way i'm 6'2 and 235 pounds. Any insight??

I had a Bombardier (Can-Am) Outlander 800. I believe it has the same running gear as the Renegade. It was plenty fast with tons of power and speed, but it was like a Humvee vs a Sand Rail when it came to whoops, tight trails, quick stops, etc. It's just too heavy to ride as a sport quad. It was great for my yard work where I needed to tow a small trailer, drag for weeds, etc. At the sand dunes it was too heavy to get around very well without being in 4wd, and then the steering really yanks on your arms when the front wheels grab toward the top of the dunes.

I decided that a dual-sport quad wasn't working for me, so I got a straight up utility quad (Honda Rancher 4x4 ES 420cc) and my Raptor 700R. And for the price of a new Renegade you can just about buy one of each as well.

I think the Renegade is as good as the crossover quads get at this point, but it just wasn't for me.

Unfortunately, I'll probably never get a chance to ride any dunes, being from PA. The closest thing I will ride would be at old coal mining areas with mountains of coal gravel. However a lot of the trails around here are loaded with large rocks (easy for a bike, but hard on single axle ATVs). Also, during snow emergencies it is legal to ride ATV's on the roads, that's where the 4 wheel drive would be nice.

Any quality or service problems with Can-Am? I don't need to ask about Yamaha, I've had great luck with them for years.