2003 ltz 400 AIR FILTER

Can anyone tell me if k&n air filters are really as good as they say or should I go with something else. I have read alot of mixed reviews on this. Some people sear by them but some hate them. Anyone use anything else? Let me know. Thanks

K&N filters SUCK!!!!! I know that's bold ,but I'm a mechanic at a Suzuki dealer and we do MANY engine rebuilds a year because of K&N filters.. they don't filter worth S@#$... OILED FOAM! that's the deal.... stick with oiled foam.. K&N filters do exactly what they advertise,they move lots of air,and every piece of sand or grit that's in that air. If you have a K&N, take it out and throw it away!!!!!

I recently switched back to uni filter after using K&N.

I dune alot and the K&n is not very good at fine dust control.

When I did my lukes 450cc kit last year I had some bad scarring inside my cylinder wall which is all dust.

We'll see what it looks like next year.

I also use the no-toil which is a good kit, but get the spray on oil it is easier to work with.

kevin

Actually K&N is excellent for street bikes because they increase CLEAN air flow without having to mod the air box for emission. But for anything off road they do a bad job of cleaning the air which allows sand and dirt inside your engine, not good at all. I use Twin Air, the best from what I have heard.

For off road riding, stick w/ a foam filter like the Uni and keep it clean and well oiled. If you do that, dirt won't destroy your engine.

I ran a K&N in my turbo diesel and switched back to the pleated paper filter because my airbox had fine silty dirt in it.

I'll give up a fraction of a HP for cleaner air! :bonk:

the only problem i have with the UNI is that its just not as big as i think it should or could be . and finding a BIG foam fillter, as big as i want any ways is not that easy as one would think.

i would like a rap made of foam ,a tight fine foam rap, but even them are hard to find to go over the filter i have .

• 13 years later...

I need help . I have a 05 ltz400 and It has stock exhaust new carburetor rejetted because it runs bad . And it still runs the same people are telling me it’s the air filter. I don’t have one on it so could that be the problem?? 

21 hours ago, Crazy Modzs said:

I need help . I have a 05 ltz400 and It has stock exhaust new carburetor rejetted because it runs bad . And it still runs the same people are telling me it’s the air filter. I don’t have one on it so could that be the problem?? 

If you are riding your ATV around off-road (meaning encountering dirt, sand, dust etc.) with no air filter installed,

you may have bigger issues than just the jetting.

Ingested debris will sandblast your engine's internal, wearing away at the valves, piston, rings and cylinder,

all of which can make for an ill running engine.

No air filter also tends to lean out the settings, resulting in a bog when under load.

Fine tuning the jetting is the very last thing you do when the rest of the engine is known to be in good working order.

In stock form (no mods done), very few bikes & ATVs require their stock settings changed,

in many cases if it runs better with different jetting, it's because you are masking another problem.

Edited by mlatour