yfz450 cam mod

i have a 2004 yfz450

with a k&n and ldr pro4/GYTR header

and im thinking of doing the cam mod

could somebody tell me what they think of it and if it hurts the engine or anything?

The cam mod gave me some top end that I didn't have before w/o losing low end grunt. Some people have complained that they lost some low end but I didn't notice that. The mod is free and is reversible so if you don't like it, you can always change it back but I have never heard of anyone doing that! :bonk:

Definitely worth it. The cam mod won't affect jetting, but be sure your bike is dialed in. With supporting mods (intake, exhaust), the cam mod and a properly jetted carb will result in a night and day difference in performance.

ur gonna love it buddy

How do you do the cam mod

How do you do the cam mod

There are several videos online for the procedure. It is fairly easy, but I am mechanically inclined. Definitely not a job for a beginner. Fwiw it is going to involve loosening the timing chain, and actually adjusting the timing of the exhaust cam. You are basically removing the exhaust cam from the head. Just to give you an idea of what the basic job is.

If you have some hours on the bike, it will be a good idea to check your valve clearances while it is apart as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By beeboob00p
      Bandit 1200s
      Asking Price
      2200 OBO
      Contact Info
      281-731-86 three 9

Howdy Everyone

Today I am looking to sell my 2004 suzuki bandit 1200s for 2200 OBO. I have owned this for over 3 years and it was my daily the whole time. Yes, every day rain or shine. It never let me down and has been the best to me. I love it to death, but now that I have graduated with a big boy job that involves lots of travel. It is time to move on to something newer and more economical. It has loads of mods and general maintance parts to help it have a great life with me and continue on with it's next owner. Current real mileage is around 30k and the title is clear in MY NAME. 

Videos of start up and just it idling 
      It was well maintained. 
      Valve adjustments done early (will include special adjustment tool with sale)
      Holshot Stage 1 jet kit
      Holshot Ignition Advance
      Holshot Slip on
      New chain and sprockets
      New Spark plug
      New airfilter
      Renthal Handle Bar
      Shorty Levers
      Upgraded windscreen (great for long trips)
      Suspension Adjusted and dialed in properly
      Price is flexible 
      Mileage is exempt (the speed sensor was broken when I first got it so it didn't record mileage until recently. Everything is now working properly)
      Has been down before (damage shown in pictures)
      Some other cosmetic issues from being used every day (general chips from rocks and small stuff you can't see in pictures)
      Windshield vibrates due to height 
      Exhaust rattles a bit (will include new muffler mount bushing to fix this) 
      I'm sure I'm missing plenty of stuff but this should be a great start on what this vehicle has to offer. If you have any other questions or would like more pictures, videos, details on anything please let me know. I'll be happy to work with you.
      At this time I am only looking at cash offers for the bike. No payments, sorry. Also I must note that no joyrides either. You bring the cash in full and I will let you test drive. You hold the title, I hold the cash. You drop it no harm done, because you keep the bike and I keep the cash. 
      At the time of sale you and I will sign the title and we will fill out the proper paperwork for the transfer of the vehicle on the spot. Sorry, but I Have been burned in the past. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoy what you see.
      The best way to contact me is by phone. I'm not on this forum much, but feel free to text or call away and I would be glad to respond to any questions you might have. Thanks,
      -Frankie 281-731-86 three 9
    • By Rick Mcqueen Art
      A tiny clear rubber tube on bottom of carb.  On bottom sort of on side, by floats, the other end just hanging down.  Was it always like this? Or does the other end go somewhere?  Today after multiple trys with kick, choke on/off ,,,fuel keeps pouring out the tube.  This bike has always been hard to start.   Thanx  guys!
    • By Zack Ailing
      hey guys just picked up a new project bike. Its a 2008 Yz450f with a big bore kit and a stroker crank. The total cc of the engine is now 499. It runs on race gas and will be an absolute monster when shes ready to rip. I will continue to make more videos on the bike so stay tuned Link to the video: 
    • By Colton Kruse
      Hey guys I am new to the forum but tried to search for this subject and didn't find much for a bike this old. I bought the bike recently and have pretty much everything rebuilt but I am having trouble sourcing the proper plastics. First question is will 96 plastics fit this bike? There is plenty of those kits all over the internet. Currently the only thing I can find online that is actually for a 91 time range is white plastics only and can only be bought piece by piece. When they are pieced together like that is it almost 350 bucks for all white plastics which isn't what I want. So if you know of a thread that can show me how to put 96 or newer plastics on or if they bolt up on their own please let me know. Or if you have better ideas for what to do for plastics let me know! Thanks.
    • By ThomasM.
      hotcams shim kit that will fit most 450's.
      I used 3x 1.75mm and 2x 1.7mm shims. the rest is still there
      part# HCSHIM02
      $60 shipped
      will fit:
      2002 - 2017 Honda CRF 450R BIKE,2005 - 2017 Honda CRF 450X BIKE,2003 - 2004 Kawasaki KLX 400 BIKE,2008 - 2009 Kawasaki KLX 450R BIKE,2008 - 2017 Kawasaki KX 450F BIKE,2000 - 2016 Suzuki DRZ 400 BIKE,2005 - 2015 Suzuki DRZ 400S BIKE,2016 - 2017 Suzuki DRZ 400SM BIKE,2005 - 2017 Suzuki RMZ 450 BIKE,2014 - 2017 Yamaha WR 250F BIKE,2003 - 2016 Yamaha WR 450F BIKE,2014 - 2017 Yamaha YZ 250F BIKE,1998 - 1999 Yamaha YZ 400 F BIKE,2000 - 2002 Yamaha YZ 426 F BIKE,2003 - 2017 Yamaha YZ 450F