USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki LTZ400 as a first quad?....anyone here got one or owned one in the past?

as per title

the Suzuki LTZ400 is top of my list, any owners insight into this model please?

quoted from my intro to give you some background info on my buying situation do you think the LTZ will fit my needs?......i dont want a mental quad just a good all round one :bonk:

i am completely new to quads so get ready for a load of daft questions as i'm currantly looking at a road legal one.

i have been riding bikes since the age of 12 (now mid 30s)

my currant bikes are DRZ400S and a 2001 fireblade ...the quad will be an addition with the bonus that my fiancee could ride it on her car license

we have both ridden quads but ONLY off road

i think a quad could be the perfect thing to compliment my DRZ and fireblade

Fireblade for two-up and solo fun

DRZ400S for commuting, laning and general dicking about on

quad for wet fun, wet commuting, heading out on the Legal green Lanes and country roads with my fiancee and winter frolics when it is too icey for the DRZ too ride to work

Photo0375.jpg

Photo0285.jpg

thankyou in advance :bonk:

Since you are familiar with riding bikes, the 400z will be a perfect fit for you.

Take the time to learn some quad specific techniques but I think you'll be up to speed on one by the end of the day. :bonk:

i am pretty much 95% sure that i want a LTZ400 over the others i've looked into

cash waiting for the right one

:bonk:

I just bought mine a few days ago and I have never really ridden quads at all. I have ridden bikes for a while now kind of like you. Let me tell you, the z400 rips pretty decent but is very easy and manageable unlike my yz 250 2 stroke. Not near as fast but its a blast to ride and I feel very confident after just a day of riding. The power will keep me happy for a while as well. Good luck on your find!

I bought one brand new in 03 and still have it. It has been won of the best quads I have ever owned. Ive never had a single problem with it, it handles great on the trails.

The ltz400 is a great quad to start with. It has good power and handles well. The 2005 and up models have better front shocks so that is something to look for if you are buying used. I would recommend getting a 2005 or later if you are an aggressive rider. The 2009 ltz400 is fuel injected and has new plastics.

I have a 09 Fuel Injected and I love it. It looks good too. It has the best feel out of all the quads I tested before I bought it. It is also very fast, I was very shocked at how much power it had just stock. I have since then made a few changes and it will hang with the 450's now.

I just bought mine a few days ago and I have never really ridden quads at all. I have ridden bikes for a while now kind of like you. Let me tell you, the z400 rips pretty decent but is very easy and manageable unlike my yz 250 2 stroke. Not near as fast but its a blast to ride and I feel very confident after just a day of riding. The power will keep me happy for a while as well. Good luck on your find!

There is alot to do to make it just as fast as the YZ250.

Same here I am in the quad market after i got my 08 drz400s and love it!! I have to say after this bike i now am thinking of the suzuki quad, as i was always a honda quad man.

So has anyone had both the ltz400 and the 400ex??? or know a little comparison in power or maintance wise???

The Z400 has the same motor in it as your drz400s so you should be firmiliar with the power

i had a 08 for two days and brought it back and bought a new 07 RMZ450 instead. Going from a 03 DRZ400E i thought it would be about th same in power but it wasnt even close. within one minute i was allready wishing for exhaust, cams,jetting, etc. it wouldnt even keep up with my cousins 400ex with a pipe. Im not saying its a bad bike at all my best bud has a 07 thats worked full exhaust, intake, jets, cams, and that sucker rips and has never gave him a problem. maybe im just use to my DRZ on two wheels butthe power is nothing like it is on the bike. but if i wanted a play quad for me and my girl i would buy one tonight if thats what i was looking for.

I had an 03 for a year or so. It was kind of quick and it never left me stranded and having reverse was nice. The chain was a pain to adjust, it is much easier to do on my ltr. I believe you adjust a 400ex's chain the same way you adjust an ltr's.

May be a little late, but i own an 03 ltz400 and my brother owns an 02 400ex. both are very sweet quads. the only advantage which made me choose my ltz was that is has reverse. the 400ex does not. i would recommend sitting and test riding both before making up your mind. the ltz400's bars are higher, where the 400ex's bars seem to have you sit lower. stock the ltz 400 is faster, but my brothers 400ex bored to a 440 takes mine now. seems like stock the ltz has all the power right there, where the 400ex hits sort of a powerband and unleashs the power

I like my LTZ400, but I don't love it. The materials don't look or feel to be the same quality as my Yamaha bikes, and I'm completely unimpressed with Suzuki's customer service. The LTZ is likely the first, and last new Suzuki I'll own; I'll probably keep it for mates to use, but I'm already looking for a Raptor 700, and I don't think I'll ever recommend Suzukis with enthusiasm.

I like my LTZ400, but I don't love it. The materials don't look or feel to be the same quality as my Yamaha bikes, and I'm completely unimpressed with Suzuki's customer service. The LTZ is likely the first, and last new Suzuki I'll own; I'll probably keep it for mates to use, but I'm already looking for a Raptor 700, and I don't think I'll ever recommend Suzukis with enthusiasm.

agreed... i went from an ltz to a 07 700r best decision i ever made... the swingarm on my 03 ltz needed constant expensive repairs... plus the raptor is barely any heavier at all and rides amazing