Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 2004 yfz450 not starting

I HAVE A 2004 YFZ450. I HAVE A 170 MAIN WITH A HMF SLIP ON K&N AIR FILTER WITH LID ON. WAS RUNNING LIKE A CHAMP HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. LET IS SIT FOR ABOUT A WEEK AND A HALF. START IT UP WITH THE CHOKE (THEN TURNED IT OFF), LET IT IDLE FOR 5 MINUTES-GOT ON IT AND RODE UP AND DOWN MY DRIVEWAY AND THEN WAS ABOUT TO GO INTO THE WOODS AND IT JUST DIED ON ME LIKE I WAS OUT OF GAS. IT HAS GAS, A GOOD SPARK.. ITS JUST CRANKING OVER BUT NOTHING AT ALL. LIKE I SAID IT WAS RUNNING FINE ONE SECOND AND THEN THE NEXT ITS NOT DOING ANYTHING. BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED. MADE SURE THAT GAS WAS GETTING TO CARB. DRAINED CARB 2 TIMES. IM LOST I AM CURRENTLY TAKING APART THE CARB RIGHT NOW GOING TO CLEAN IT BUT ANYBODY ELSE MAYBE HAVE ANYTHING TO TELL ME LET ME KNOW. THANKS ALOT!:bonk:

check compression

then check timing

i actually got her running over the weekend.... found out the needle valve that allows gas to fill in the bowl was stuck or sumthin and wasnt letting gas get into the bowl. Thanks for the advice though...i was getting to that next if i couldnt figure it out...:bonk:

Mine sticks regularly if I let it sit for more than a couple weeks. Glad to hear you found the problem.