400ex rekluse or slipper clutch

Honda

I'm looking at getting a quad this fall after I sell my yz250. My wife is going to be my primary riding buddy and she is not an aggressive rider at all. Her little 250 4-stroke will top out about 45 with her on it and 40 with me on it. Having ridden sport atc's and dirt bikes all my life I look at the 400ex and think that's a perfect bike. But then I think, am I going to hate working that clutch so much when riding with her? So maybe an auto clutch bike like a 250ex (light on power, would have to modify a bit) or trx420 (such a heavy bike) would be better, it's not like we're going to be flying or anything.

Anyway, I still want the 400ex so I can break loose once in a while and maybe to ride with my neighbor who's got a raptor 660 once in a while. So maybe a rekluse or slipper clutch would be the solution. Has anyone found one of these to be available for the 400ex? I seem to only be able to find them for the 450 quads and I know the 450's are not going to be a good choice for a trail quad.

Thanks.

Auto clutches and slipper clutches are two different things. Auto clutch is what your looking for, it makes it so you don't need to use the clutch but you can get one with a manual override so it would be like the 250ex. A slipper clutch takes away engine breaking and that's it.

If I were you I would get an auto clutch with manual override so you can slip the clutch going up at a hill or around a turn. I don't think the 250ex would be enough power for you and if you do jumps theres not a lot of suspension travel and not much room to upgrade because of the driveshaft.

Thanks for explaining the differences. They are a relavitely new tech that I'm unfamiliar with. The auto clutch with the override sounds perfect. Big question is, who makes one for the 400ex? I've been looking around and have had no luck finding one.

Welcome to the site!

Unfortunately no, rekluse does not offer one for the EX. My son has an '05 with a few mods and we have never had to repair/mess with the clutch. It's a rock solid machine.

I had a 400ex for years and I would never buy one with the intention of riding double. The utes ride so much nicer for that kind of stuff I bough a Foreman 500 for just that and have no regrets. It's no sport machine by any means but gets in the mid 50's easy and rides like a caddy. That 420 you mentioned actually feels a bit lighter and has about the same power of my 500. Nice machine and with 2 ES models in the garage I can tell you it's not a bad way to go.

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of months left before I have to make my final decision on which model. I'm still hmmm & hawww 'ing over it. I have e-mailed Rekluse asking of their future intention and if it includes the 400ex or not as they do cover the z400. So far, I have not heard back but it may still take a day or two. I let you know what they tell me.

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of months left before I have to make my final decision on which model. I'm still hmmm & hawww 'ing over it. I have e-mailed Rekluse asking of their future intention and if it includes the 400ex or not as they do cover the z400. So far, I have not heard back but it may still take a day or two. I let you know what they tell me.

Please do......I am also interested in one:thumbsup:

Still waiting to hear from Rekluse, I hope they respond. EFM said they are not going to make one. Like I said Rekluse does the z400 so I'm hoping the EX is coming.

Still waiting to hear from Rekluse, I hope they respond. EFM said they are not going to make one. Like I said Rekluse does the z400 so I'm hoping the EX is coming.

It is my undrstanding that Rekluse discontinued the 400ex / XR400 auto clutch a few years ago.

I hope they will make one also.....It would really help my father-in-law out. (He bought if first ATV at 69 years young and is having a hard time learining how to feather the clutch in tight spots. It is a good thing the EX has an e-start)

Revlock makes one for the XR400.......$925.00 ouch

I haven't heard back from Rekluse. That's disappointing. If they made them once before and have discontinued then I haven't much hope with them.

Revlock, I'll check it out. Thanks.

I don't like cross posting but there is some good info here......and if you beleve the poster the price has dropped to under 600

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=404579

I wonder if the TT Store can get these?

Thats pretty cool....the xr/trx. Now if they would only make one for the 700 Raptor!!

Wow, if that's the price then I may have made up my mind. Ok, ok I know better - I still have to Nov and I'll be all over the board in the meantime. But this rates up very high in my book.