Sign in to follow this  

UTILITY 4x4's

I am in the market of a new atv. Ive done some research and I think Ive decided on a 4x4 instead of a sport due to where I live. Ive always been a Yamaha fan and the Grizzlys are nice with power steering, but Ive rode a few Polaris's and there is something to be said for them as well. But I want to know what you guys think abount the ups and downs of the top 4x4's. Yamaha, Polaris, Honda, Can-Am?:bonk:

My feeling is that most utes have gotten to large to be practical anymore out on the trail. Once you reach a certain size/displacement of ute, you might just as well get a Rhino. Once you are the size of a Rhino, you might as well just have gotten a Jeep that is also 50 state street legal. You get the picture? My buddies own most of the huge top of the line big bore machines, and they are close to being unrideable on our local mountain woods trails. I ride circles around them on my Rancher....literally! The fun factor is gone, trying to muscle around a monster machine.

So, I stick with the meduim size machines! My current ride is the Honda Rancher 420 (fuel injected, water cooled, spunky engine), and my next purchase will be the new Rancher 420AT which has a totally unique transmission and IRS.

I am no fan of either the belt drive automatics or Honda's overly complex transmission designs on the Rincon and Rubicon, so that happily really limits the field for me to a few gear-on-gear trany models. If I needed a larger "work" machine, I would probably get the Honda Foreman 500.

Alright Ive done some research and Ive narrowed it down to the Yamaha Grizzly 700 and the Honda Rincon 680. What do you guys think and why?

Grizzly all the way more bang for the buck. Also simple transmission you dont have to call japan to fix it yourself if there are any problems.

Alright Ive done some research and Ive narrowed it down to the Yamaha Grizzly 700 and the Honda Rincon 680. What do you guys think and why?

You haven't said anything about your specific riding conditions. What part of the country you in and where will you be riding???? This can make all the difference!

Again, I don't like any of the belt drives, but if you insist, the Griz 700 is probably the best of the lot.

Even Honda calls the Rincon an SUV....not a utility. It has a cush ride, yet is very stable. (Lots of manufacturers think that all you need to get a cush ride is to throw on long travel suspension. Honda achieves the ride without sitting you 3 feet up in the air!) Some folks find the Rincon to have mild power, and it has no low range, so don't expect to take it out rock crawling. I personally don't really like this needlessly complex transmission, and it doesn't have engine braking at low speed engine braking.

I think anyone considering a ute ATV should also seriously consider a UTV. I bought a brand new Rubicon a few years ago and it finally dawned on me earlier this year I bought the wrong machine. Got a JD Gator now and am lovin it.

I grew up riding light weight 2wd ATC's and never got stuck unless I was trying to. I think most 4x4 ute's need 4x4 because they are so heavy. I picked up a Bayou 250 2wd for my wife which I use for work on my 5 acres and it's always been up to the job even when the snow gets deep. I really question the purpose of big ute's, seems like spending a ton of money on a heavy bike that just isn't as pleasurable to drive.

I grew up riding light weight 2wd ATC's and never got stuck unless I was trying to. I think most 4x4 ute's need 4x4 because they are so heavy. I picked up a Bayou 250 2wd for my wife which I use for work on my 5 acres and it's always been up to the job even when the snow gets deep. I really question the purpose of big ute's, seems like spending a ton of money on a heavy bike that just isn't as pleasurable to drive.

That's what two-wheeled bikes are for!!:bonk: When I want to ride for fun I bust out the KX450!